Mexican itinerary

Discussion in 'Americas' started by V@lentino, Jun 2, 2013.

1. Johnnydarock

Johnnydarock Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I bought two KLR 650's for some friends of mine from Switzerland and handed them the keys when they landed in Los Angeles. The original plan was to ride all the way to Tierra del Fuego in 6 months. They were having such a good time they only made it to Lima Peru and sold the bikes and flew home. 6 months was not enough for them.
  2. SkizzMan

SkizzMan aka SkiddMark ;^)

Oddometer:
    +1, depending on just how much you want to see. I've spent the better part of a week hooliganning around town on a KLR and having a great time. But on a six month schedule two days/nights will be sufficient to get a good taste of The City. Especially if you stay in El Centro. I like Hotel Catedral on Donceles just north of the Zocalo. Reasonable rates (though not the lowest around) with underground parking, a good restaurant and full concierge services from taxi call to Ballet Folklorico tix. Short walk to the Catedral National, Palace, Zocalo, Aztec ruins, and many great restaurants. Reasonable hike to Torre LatinoAmericano, Garibaldi Square, Palacio de Bellas Artes, etc. Short taxi or Metro ride to Chapultepec Park.
    That's most of what people go there to see, although there's much more.

NB: if you want to see the epic performance of the Ballet Folklorico at Bellas Artes you should check the dates and order tix in advance. With a reservation at many hotels their concierge service will handle that for you.

Buen viaje!
  3. MikeMike

MikeMike Long timer

Oddometer:
    I can verify that Schizz is a cultured hooligan.:deal
  4. SkizzMan

Oddometer:
    And so it shall be.
  5. jimmex

jimmex Guero con moto Supporter

Oddometer:
    And so what shall be?
  6. V@lentino

V@lentino Inspektor

Oddometer:
    Long motorcycle trips that involve a fair amount of cultural hooliganism is right up our alley.

Thanks for the Map Mike, I sent you a PM
  7. going south

going south hero & Zero...

Oddometer:
    +1 This is the correct answer...:deal
  8. SkizzMan

Oddometer:
    Slight profile change from MM.
  9. jimmex

Oddometer:
    :rofl
  10. MikeMike

MikeMike Long timer

Oddometer:

Keep 'em guessing.:evil
  11. V@lentino

V@lentino Inspektor

Oddometer:
    Following everybody's suggestions, here is my updated tentative itinerary from Douglas, USA to Huixtla, Mex, it's about 4500 km, so it should be perfect to put us in the Latin groove and ready for Guatemala and the rest of Central America.

From Huixtla, East to cross into GT at La Messila.

Thanks again. Now how do you gents suggest I make my way to Guatemala city? :ear

[​IMG]
  12. SkizzMan

Oddometer:
    Hola ac_elite,

Your plan has come a long way.

I haven't taken the coastal route to Tapachula en route to Guate. Last year I left
    Puerto Escondido and rode Hwy 200 until turning off for the "highland route" to
    Tuxtla and San Cristóbal de las Casas where I overnighted before proceeding to
    the crossing at La Mesilla.

San Cristóbal de las Casas is a nice town to stay in. Try for near the central plaza.

The highland route is very nice to see and easy to navigate. La Mesilla was easy as
    well. The road to Lago Atitlan was great for running the bikes hard through mountain
    twisties. Cops paid us no mind. They were told to lay off the tourists according to
    Guate locals.

You have several good options around Atitlan. I stayed in Panajachel which was touristy
    but a good time. Take a boat ride out on the lago. From there head to Antigua. Very
    photogenic place and worth a nights stay. Hook up with the CATours guys. Then on to
    Guate City.

That's it for my route recommendation.
  13. going south

going south hero & Zero...

Oddometer:
    I did this route in reverse, and really liked it, San Cristobal was a neat place to explore for me, I was only going to stay one night, but it turned into three. lots of cheap, but very nice & clean little places to stay with safe parking for Moto's. Great food.
    lots of drop off laundry shops, something like 12Peso's per Kilo..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I think you'll like it..
  14. MikeMike

MikeMike Long timer

Oddometer:
    Careful heading through Tapachula in rainy season. The streets are the natural drainage and it makes life miserable.
    All things Guatemala, talk it over with Guaterider, for sure.
    If you can come into Veracruz via Puebla and over to Papantla (don't miss El Tajin at dawn or at dusk for photos) you can then drop down into Oaxaca via the old 5 haciendas route and then through a very special route I will give you the details for as you get closer.
    Watch the rains in Chiapas.:eek1
  15. jimmex

Oddometer:
    ^^^This is right; the ride on Mex 16 and then down to San Juanito, Creel, Guachochi, Parral will be one of the absolute best you do the whole trip.
    severely likes this.
  16. Jamie Z

Jamie Z I'm serious. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Looks like I'm a bit late on this one. Though it's a bit out of your way, I was going to suggest visiting the town of Xilitla, where you can find the ruins of Las Posas, built by a British millionaire a couple decades ago. It's a bizarre place.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's interesting, but not so much that I'd recommend altering your itinerary, unless you have an extra day to spare.

Jamie
  17. SkizzMan

Oddometer:
    +1

Beautiful country. Best pollo asado in all Mexico.
  18. acejones

acejones Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, you are really late on this one; but you are right, it is a neat place !
  19. AndyT

AndyT Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Not sure how into Maya ruins you are, but if you take Schizzman's route to San Cristobal, you are not far from Palenque, and from there you could cross into Guatemala at El Ceibo and you are not far from Tikal. Palenque and Tikal both get their share of tourist traffic, but they are spectacular, if you are into that sort of thing.
  20. V@lentino

V@lentino Inspektor

Oddometer:
    Well I am now convinced, I am a great fan of all things "asado" especially pollo:dg

Yes,

I have been thinking about both Palenque and Tikal, and wondering if we might just go East from Huixtla and take the Mex 190/199 up to Palenque. I have now convinced myself than the Mex 175 is not to be missed, but making our way Easward after a day or two in the P. Escondido area sounds like a decent plan. Can you tell me more about the crossing at El Ceibo, where is the actual crossing, this is what I got from G. Map, I see no roads.

[​IMG]