Mexican itinerary

Discussion in 'Americas' started by V@lentino, Jun 2, 2013.

1. Sjoerd Bakker

Sjoerd Bakker Long timer

Oddometer:
    Chris hasn't posted anything for three years so he may be out of the loop.
    The Hotel Mexico you reference is a fine old property only 100m west from the central plaza Parque Juarez NORTH side .

Tehuacan has plenty of good hotels , no need to worry about them .If you want something starting out at a bit lower price then check out the Hotel Boutique at 135 Calle Pimera .It is about two blocks west off that same plaza 's SOUTH side ,beside the Banco Santander and opposite the ADO-bus terminal . This used to be the Hotel Kaiserslautern and German restaurant (page 164) . It is in the center of the city making for a comfortable walking tour and plaza visit in the evening .
    JRWooden and SkizzMan like this.
  2. JRWooden

JRWooden Homeless motorcycle vagabond ... and ... loving it

Oddometer:
    Excellent!
    Thanks SB ....
    Sorry to be slow replying ...
    I'm trying to get my mom back on top of things and my trip back on the rails!

I'm looking forward to this next leg a LOT :-) :jkam
  3. JRWooden

Oddometer:
    So I'm in Cordoba for the day .... soggy weather, and I have an internet gig to finish anyway :0-0

Tomorrow I'll head to Puebla for an overnight or two, then on to Mexico City...
    so easy rides ( I think) ...
    On the way in to Mexico city I will probably circle up and see the Arcos del Sitio.

I was going to try to avoid 150D between Cordoba and Puebla...
    taking instead 150 / 714 ... is it worth dipping down to Morleos Canada or something like that?
    I won't be in a hurry.
    Any suggestions for moderate priced hotels near Puebla Centro?
    I don't need fancy - just clean, WiFi, AC, and safe parking

Based on earlier suggestions in this thread I'm going to plan two maybe three days in Mexico City (bike parked ... walk/taxi my way around).
    I'm not excited about RIDING in the city ... is there a time of day when the traffic is less nutty and I can slip in and out to a centro-hotel with the bike?
    I'd rather do that than stay on the outskirts and take mass-transit ... but I'm really unsure just how stupid crazy the traffic is there?
    Are foreign-plated vehicles subject to the city-travel restrictions?

Assuming I won't get run the hell over ... any suggestions for Centro-hotels here appreciated as well. There was one suggestion in the thread for Hotel Catedral, but they are currently booked up for my target dates.

THANKS!!!
    Jim
  4. SkizzMan

SkizzMan aka SkiddMark ;^)

Oddometer:
    Hey Jim,

The Cumbres de Maltrata is a favorite of mine among all toll roads in Mexico. If you like to rip it
    through high-speed sweepers and roller coaster hills then it's for you. Or you can bypass to the south
    through Acultzingo on 150 libre to ride the section of switchbacks where traffic swaps lanes for the
    tighter turns. They get fog there sometimes but you'd be taking it uphill.

Then there's the Paso de Cortez for a unique and historically significant entrance into CDMX. There's
    a very easy dirt section with some mild washboard. Did it on a loaded GSA in 2017. Highly recommended
    during clear skies as you pass between the volcanos.

Arcos del Sitio is NW of CDMX. Here's a Google Map: https://goo.gl/maps/BvL7M8qLspP2

Suggest you check out AirBnB in CDMX. It has served me well. And Pinche Gringo BBQ once there. Off
    the Glorieta SCOP.

If you'd like to check out a SpeakEasy type bar for excellent ($$) mixed drinks (or derecho) PM me for
    details.

Saludos,

Skizz
    pceire32 and JRWooden like this.
  5. SkizzMan

Oddometer:
    Here's an alternate to 150D that passes through the Cumbres de Acultzingo. I've ridden
    the 150 part. There's a couple of short, hardpacked dirt sections that should be no trouble.

https://goo.gl/maps/aGgjsp5J3YA2
    pceire32 and JRWooden like this.
  6. Romero

Romero At Cinépolis or OXXO

Oddometer:
    Cool hotel reasonable and great neighborhood ....

https://www.condesadf.com

Riding in the city is not horrible but pay attention....lane splitters like crazy. There is probably an inmate or a 1000 from DF(CDMX) -that would meet you outside of the city and ride you in. Your going to love it there. I have a friend that is a private driver and super reliable..cheaper than a taxi and safer.
    If lodging becomes a problem- let me know..might have a place for you to stay. Safe travels..
    pceire32, JRWooden and SkizzMan like this.
  7. SkizzMan

Oddometer:
    059F74D1-1F10-4AC5-8FC2-3A9C774C6C65.jpeg For a budget hotel just off the Zocalo check out Hotel Monte Carlo on Uruguay for around $25-30USD with secure parking. Two blocks SW of the Zocalo.
    pceire32, JRWooden and Romero like this.
  8. SkizzMan

Oddometer:
    This is what I’m seeing on AirBnB

C956BAF5-6076-4DAA-B3F9-37F363046A64.png
    JRWooden and Romero like this.
  9. Romero

Oddometer:
    Good info right there^^
    Condessa DF about $130.... I have a non website place we call casa de cortes...$50usd a night... private house. They put us up for our last film. U2 and many others have stayed there.
    Cool thing is plenty of places down there.... if you need our drivers number just pm
    SkizzMan and JRWooden like this.
  10. JRWooden

Oddometer:
    Thank you very much Skizz and Romero ...

Skizz: I think Cumbres de Maltrata sounds like the ticket!
    I promise I won't mistake the "run-away" ramp for the highway under ANY circumstances!
    ( Gezzz that was a horrible accident )
    Once plans/dates firm I think AirBnB is where it's at!

This gringo appreciates you two more than you know!

Jim
    pceire32, SkizzMan and Romero like this.
  11. Romero

Oddometer:
    Not a problem gringo...I've never met @SkizzMan, but he seems to know his Mexico! Some good people on this site...Keep us in the loop!
    95Monster, pceire32 and SkizzMan like this.
  12. SkizzMan

Oddometer:
    We should meet sometime. Will be in Oaxaca for Guelaguetza July 30 with time in CDMX going down and back.
    pceire32 and Romero like this.
  13. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    Real de Catorce
    Guanajuato
    Bernal
  14. SkizzMan

Oddometer:
    Copied from a FB group:

Heads up - entering Nogales?
    Km 21 where you get the visas - construction- my family drove RIGHT BY IT - all the way to Magdalena!
  15. JRWooden

Oddometer:
    Folks:
    For complicated reasons I won't bore you with, the Mexico City leg of the trip got postponed.
    I enjoyed the hell out of 150D into Puebla and had a very nice time there.
    It didn't hurt that the elevation was high, and the morning temperatures (below 60F) forced me to break out my jacket liner for the first time in....
    well .. a long time.

I'm already building my route for my next trip thru Mx and I really appreciate all of you folks pitching in to make the trip awesome!

Jim
    95Monster and SkizzMan like this.
  16. massiveuniball

massiveuniball Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This is all great stuff. Makes me wonder if I'm not planning enough for my trip. I'm heading down from Alberta to Mexico, looking to spend about 4.5 to 5 months there. Aside from a little list of must sees I was going to wing it day to day based on which way the wind blows. Great ideas here might make me add a few more things...
    Sjoerd Bakker and JRWooden like this.
  17. JRWooden

Oddometer:
    Ok ... I wasn't ready to go "home" yet....
    I'm heading south tomorrow from San Miguel Allende with destination of Antigua Guatemala.
    I have about 2 weeks to get there, so not in a big hurry.
    On this trip south I want to avoid Mexico City, and it was suggested that I could pass by the city by going thru
    Toluca which apparently has a nice botanical garden in the center and then head down Rt #4 south.
    My last time thru I visited Puebla City (which I would not mind visiting again, but with so much of MX unseen there's probably other options?

Is Route 190 south between Toluca and Oaxaca City a pleasant route?
    Looks fairly unpopulated, are there hotels? ;-)

Suggestions appreciated!

Thanks,
    Jim
  18. slowriding

slowriding Dopeless Hope Fiend Supporter

Oddometer:
    Early this year I spent the night in Cuernavaca and then rode 190 to Oaxaca. Can't help with info on hotels on the route but the road was very nice, lots of twists and the pavement was good at the time.
    SkizzMan likes this.
  19. Sjoerd Bakker

Sjoerd Bakker Long timer

Oddometer:
    Lots of hotels to choose from !!!!
    190 is one of my regular favourite roads . There are towns at very regular intervals less than 100 km apart and each will have nice hotels to pick from . You ride for a stretch over some mountain ridge and enter a next valley where you find towns . I have slept in most of those towns at one time or another.
    Hotels are where you find them . Don't be a ninny and try to make reservations .
    Ya shuddah had my book!
    SkizzMan and pceire32 like this.
  20. JRWooden

Oddometer:
    Thanks SlowRiding and SB

SB if your book was available as Kindle or PDF I'd have a copy....
    I've not sat still long enough for a paper copy to catch up with me............
    but one of these days! :freaky

190 it is!

I'll probably only have 1/2 day to ride tomorrow so may not get much further than Cuernavaca I'll see how it goes!

THANKS Guys!
    Jim