Mexican itinerary

Discussion in 'Americas' started by V@lentino, Jun 2, 2013.

1. Tricepilot

Tricepilot Bailando Con Las Estrellas Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    JR, the classic cobblestone/tunnel route is what you are thinking the northern approach is, the way you worded it. I wouldn't miss it just for the experience. Also, you can exit out the "back" way but you'll need to be on your game. My mechanic, MotoHank, was filming while descending that, hit a rock, and was pointed at the edge for a puckering moment. I'll try to find the video.

As far as hotels, I think you'd be quite happy with Hotel Real Bonanza.
    JRWooden likes this.
  2. SkizzMan

SkizzMan aka SkiddMark ;^)

Oddometer:
    Recommend entering and leaving Real de Catorce vía Túnel Ogarrio as the other route is rough and steep though passable. Hotel Ogarrio, near the tunnel is an economical option although a very steep approach. Ride past it to the top of the hill then double back to enter through the hotel gate.
    JRWooden likes this.
  3. stormdog

stormdog Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think I stayed at the Same place, but even coming in from the top it is sketchy if the gate is closed.
    SkizzMan likes this.
  4. JRWooden

JRWooden Homeless motorcycle vagabond ... and ... loving it

Oddometer:
    Thanks @kantuckid I'll take the "tunnel road" in AND out!
    Thanks on the hotel recommendation as well!

Likewise thanks @SkizzMan and @stormdog I'll proceed with caution on Hotel Ogarrio :beer

Jim
    SkizzMan likes this.
  5. JRWooden

Oddometer:

Thanks!
    I'd like to see the video - I had the pleasure of meeting MotoHank while we checked the valve lash on my bike. :beer
  6. Tricepilot

Tricepilot Bailando Con Las Estrellas Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just called him but I'm 99% sure he's in Africa on another motofoto expedition.
  7. JRWooden

Oddometer:
    Sorry if I wasn't clear ... (happens to me a lot ;-)

Hank and I checked my valve lash back in July.
    I just swapped e-mail with him a couple days back -
    Yeah he's in Africa now tentatively back to Texas the end of November.
  8. JRWooden

Oddometer:
    Ok ... folks ... Short notice sorry!

I'm in Xalapa MX right now (long story short... my other route got blockaded, then met some other overlanders that distracted me).
    Looks like it's an easy one-day ride from Xalapa to SMA

I need to get to SMA / San Miguel Allende but don't need to be there till Sunday afternoon.

If anyone has any "last minute" ideas for a one-day diversion between here and there (or cool things to see in Xalapa and just hang here till tomorrow) please let me know!

:freaky
  9. Sjoerd Bakker

Sjoerd Bakker Long timer

Oddometer:
    I don't think you have time for many divertimentos if you want to go to SMA from Xalapa in one day .Lots of mountains and STUFF to cross.Go slow and do some sight SEEING . Are you KIDDING - hang around in Xalapa till Sunday morning and then expect to be in SMA in the afternoon - that same day!?!?!!!!:jack
    If you you are trying to get yourself into a tight schedule maybe consider this. but leave NOW . 20181110104034.png
    (Xalapa- SMA short route , 518km of fast freeways -when -available riding as per google - but really are you going to waste your gasoline on racing freeways to meet a deadline target . ?give it two days. There ought not be " a need" to get there - a desire ,yes , but schedules are toxic . Thunk ya wudda lernt thet by now .
    Hint : page 69. Cuetzalan , Carretera Interserrana
    knight and SkizzMan like this.
  10. JRWooden

Oddometer:
    Well... see I do ask for advice ...
    And lucky for me you are here @Sjoerd Bakker
    Of course I could ask sooner :doh

but that would make it look like I have a plan ...
    thanks very much for the route suggestion...

I'm going to head out in a little bit and do pretty much what you have sketched in ...
    looks like fun!
    I'll stay someplace along the way tonight!

Again, thanks! :beer

My real "need" is Monday morning I have an appt. in SMA ...
    I "need" to get a new tire to make it home safely! :-)
  11. JRWooden

Oddometer:
    Ok .... no frigg'n tire in SMA...............
    It was supposed to be for install Monday AM.
    Not here, no ETA....
    I'll pick one up in TX, tired of waiting.

Heading to RdC tomorrow ... 8AM temp. here in SMA is projected at 36F ... WTF :vardy

Per the suggestions of the group after leaving RdC I'll coming up via the Doctor Arroyo route.
    What's the best way to miss Monterrey traffic?
    Furkot let to it's own runs me right thru town?

upload_2018-11-13_20-50-17.png
    massiveuniball likes this.
  12. massiveuniball

massiveuniball Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yikes. The lows were around 50 in SMA a little while ago and I thought that was cold. I don't think this will affect you but in the higher elevations around Monterrey I was told they had snow today. Just a skiff though.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
  13. JRWooden

Oddometer:
    My electric jacket is tucked safely away back in NC :doh
  14. Oc1

Oc1 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've had trouble in the past getting thru Monterrey due to missing signs and lots of construction. I haven't been in a few years so I don't know the current conditions. Twice I've hired Taxi drivers to lead me thru and those guys know the quickest way going down back ally's and side streets. If you are there over a weekend the open air market on the south side is amazing. The corn bread they cook in the dutch ovens is to die for. I usually eat a loaf and buy one for later but they are best served hot right out of the oven.
    As you head south just outside of the town of Valles is a place called Casacada Micos. Its a beautiful place of clear water and travertine waterfalls. Xilitla de Edward James is also an amazing place that I would put on my must see list. I believe its South and West of Valles. Its a crazy architecture garden built on the side of the mountain in the rainforest. It has winding spiral stairs with no guardrails going up into the jungle canopy. Tamul falls is also very cool. The Rio Galinas flows into the Rio Santa Maria and forms a river wide waterfall dropping over 300'. You can go down to the bottom via vine ladders with the rungs tied on with bailing wire. Its a great area with lots of neat mountain towns and amazing rivers.
    JRWooden likes this.
  15. SkizzMan

SkizzMan aka SkiddMark ;^)

Oddometer:

Did much of this route north to south recently. Galeana - Rayones is non-technical dirt. Rayones - MEX85 is great until the construction zones but it’s just short stretches of gravel. I’ve all but abandoned 85D in favor of the libre. Save the money, see some country.
    https://goo.gl/maps/jQ4AAQHFVNA2

[​IMG]
    JRWooden likes this.
  16. AndyT

AndyT Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If it stays this cold, you may want to rethink Real de 14. I don't remember the exact elevation, but it's around 8,000 feet. 2 or 3,000 feet higher than SMA.

I'm about 100 miles, as the quetzal flies, north of the Mexican border in southwest NM. It was 12 F here last night at 6,000 feet. Supposed to be 17 tonight.
    JRWooden likes this.
  17. JRWooden

Oddometer:
    Thanks Oc1, Skizz, and AndyT !!!

Edward James is on the list!

Yeah.... I'm somewhat concerned about the elevation in RdC :-/
    but ... damit .... I'm an ADVENTURER right :gerg
    It is in fact 36 or so here this AM
    I'm going to eat and head north.... my vector to a lower elevation route if need bee.

Thanks Skizz on the routing around Monterry - I had the lower half of your route, but not the top - I just dialed that in! :-)
    SkizzMan likes this.
  18. Sjoerd Bakker

Sjoerd Bakker Long timer

Oddometer:
    Avoiding Monterrey is easy if you follow this loop around the east. If coming from Rayones you will be perfectly placed on Mex 85 . The split -off for the 9 is north of where you entered 85. You could hug the metro area a bit closer by using the Mex 40D but that risks getting you confused with the signage and ending up in the maze of industrial zone roads and inevitable construction projects . Avoid getting into the shaded areas.
    Those mountains of the Cumbres de Monterrey are definitely able to get very cold . Snow on Potosi ,west of Galeana is quite likely .
    20181114091240.png
    Going through Centro of Monterrey is really not that bad in the middle of the day .In fact if you are still looking for a tire I bet you could easily find one on Pino Suarez where there are the big stores for Yamaha,Honda ,Kawasaki which are also the main distributors for Mexico 20181114092926.png
    JRWooden and SkizzMan like this.
  19. JRWooden

Oddometer:
    Thanks guys!
    I have it dialed in now.
    I'm in RdC ... I just had to come .... yeah ... it was a bit chilly.
    It's not going to break freezing until about 10AM tomorrow, but I'll be going relatively slow for the first little while so hopefully it will warm
    before I feel the need to really roll on the throttle............... :pynd

My tire deal in SMA got screwed up, but I'll just grab one somewhere along the gulf coast as head back.
    I'm not down to the threads yet ...
  20. JRWooden

Oddometer:
    V:
    Could you post your latest "map" me and a buddy are in Cuatro ciénegas, Coah. now and looking for a good way south....
    I think you found one .... ;-)
    We might veer off to Copper Canyon I'm not sure yet ..............
    today is a layover day for us!
    jimmex likes this.