1. eNewsletter Sign Up

Mexico Advice - December 2020

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Idahojarocho, Mar 22, 2020 at 10:03 AM.

1. Idahojarocho

Idahojarocho n00b

Oddometer:
    First post, here goes - I lived in Mexico for a few years in the early 2000´s (Veracruz) and have been back many times since with a serious desire to take my KLR down there. My brother will be graduating from college in December and my dad, he, and I are planning to ride the Route of Cortez (or close to it). Specifically looking for advice from those who live and/or ride in central Mexico. Any safety issues with our stops, roads or places to avoid, great places to stay/eat, etc. We generally like to stay away from the big cities and may not make the final stretch into Mexico City.

Here are the stops that will make up the route:
    https://goo.gl/maps/piQjrPQKmCQ6hSxC6

Thanks in advance!
  2. Yinzer Moto

Yinzer Moto Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Check in here for the most current conditions and advice.

https://advrider.com/f/threads/is-mexico-safe.546927/

The only issues that I have heard of with Americans down there had underlying circumstances. The group of Mormons who were killed by the Cartel were actually living in the area and were at war with the Cartel. So basically it was just another gang killing. If you are a basic American tourist, you’ll be fine, go have fun.
  3. Sjoerd Bakker

Sjoerd Bakker Long timer

Oddometer:
    Idahojarocho, welcome to postings .
    Rather than worrying about the physical road security of riding the Route of Cortez it might be more appropriate to think about whether by December 2020 the situation around travel restrictions due to the present covid 19 infections has abated and riding will be considered advisable , or permitted even . Stay up to date on that aspect .

Apparently Yinzer has little idea what you meant by the Route of Cortez , your destination area has nothing to do with Chihuahua and you can totally ovoid Chihuahua on your travels through Mexico , if you wish .

Looking at your list it is clearly a number of places featured in the travels of the Conquistador Hernan Cortez between Veracruz and the Gulf Coast inland to the predecessor of Mexico City
    Annotation 2020-03-25 110747.png  CORTEZ.png
    All the places you mention are reachable by good roads travelling through a friendly and civilized countryside with lots of scenery .
    The standard advice for travel in Mexico applies ; ride the speed limit or less, watch out for left-turning traffic and topes , do not ride the highways between sunset and dawn , avoid drugs and booze , and stay informed about local security conditions ,landslides and the like.
    Your having lived in Veracruz for two years and multiple visits should have taught you much , so rely on that some .
    If it is tales of recent experience there you want I can vouch that it is an okay region for you and your dad to ride your bikes to .Only two months ago I drove a car on parts of the route you describe , and other years on motorcycle and car trips I have ridden the other parts and many other roads crisscross through Veracruz, Tlaxcala, Puebla , the cities and states both , and have no bad experiences to recount other than one flat tire on the car .
    Stay informed about any potential security situations of the regions you may be travelling through as you near those areas . Going on advice related to events that happened months or a year or more ago is not of much use .
    There will be no need to worry about finding accomodations for the nights ,they are abundant , therefore there is no need to set up strict plans for covering so- and -so many km each day in order to hit a particular town for the night .
    If the trip can go through ,go for it and give yourselves as much time as possible for a relaxing ride .
  4. Idahojarocho

Idahojarocho n00b

Oddometer:
    Thank you both! Sjoerd Bakker that was exactly what i was looking for. Thank you. I am worried about the travel restrictions and hope we can get through the pandemic enough to travel by then. I'm curious, what was your favorite ride in that part of Mexico? I feel like there are so many amazing possibilities down there.
  5. Sjoerd Bakker

Sjoerd Bakker Long timer

Oddometer:
    You are right, there are indeed countless great possibilities for riding in that quarter of Mexico . I actually do not keep a list of favourite rides for that reason . Every route turns out to be a good choice and one can spend weeks there riding around on paved highways but also some of the gravel connectors in the sierras. You will be in the neighbourhood so you could consider doing the Carretera Interserrana (Teziutlan-Zacapoaxtla with side trip to Cuetzalan- then to Zacatlan etc) Two years ago I did a neat sierra transit from Mex130 starting north of Nvo Necaxa then small roads east to Chicontla ( one hotel) Filomena Mata, Coyutla, Espinal Veracruz and south to Hueytamalco on Ver895 near Mex 129 .
    The highway Ver 65 south from Martinez de la Torre to Xalapa is also a great ride .

Amecameca is nearly a suburb of Mexico City , If you are that close you may as well visit Teotihuacan , and the monumental acueduct at Tepeyahualco ( Hidalgo state) the list of possiblilities is endless, ....tour the back highways of Tlaxcala farm country and see a few ex-haciendas. Mex 150 for the airplane -like vista at the crest west of Cd Mendoza ................... I have to stopppppppp.
  6. edstoll

edstoll OPD-2019 Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sjoerd it is really hard on me when you post this stuff. I look your routes up and want so bad to head that way. I will file it away for maybe someday. Please keep it up.
    Cal likes this.
  7. kantuckid

kantuckid Long timer

Oddometer:
    Oaxaca state & city are worthwhile stops on return? The route from Cordoba to Oaxaca is fun.
    "Trip Planning" is the new wish list here on ADV?:lol2