1. eNewsletter Sign Up

Mexico by Geezer

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by RexBuck, Jan 28, 2012.

1. RexBuck

RexBuck Long timer

Oddometer:
    Oh man, you have so many possibilities. The eastern part of the US has some great places to ride and explore. If you happen to make it all the way west to BC, let me know - hopefully I'll be around.
  2. RexBuck

RexBuck Long timer

Oddometer:
    Glad you enjoyed the report. Sounds like we were in the Baja area around the same time - may have even passed each other.

73 . . . . . you sir, are an inspiration. Thanks for piping up. You are right, there are no excuses!
  3. EmilianoXR650L

EmilianoXR650L Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    !!!!! Seran bienvenidos ambos por aqui en su proxima visita !!!!!!!!!!:clap
  4. RexBuck

RexBuck Long timer

Oddometer:
    Gracias Emiliano . . . proximo año.
  5. RexBuck

RexBuck Long timer

Oddometer:
    Day 79 - Apr 3

Could make the border in two days but the first day would be pretty long from Creel to Hermosillo. However, that would mean rushing what is supposed to be a nice road and staying in Hermosillo is not at all appealing. Anyhow, I’'ve got lots of time.

I wasn'’t quite sure what to expect with Hwy 23 from San Juanito west to Hwy 16 but it turned out to be a nice road – big curves, nice pavement and no traffic. Nice pine forests.
    [​IMG]

Came upon one old truck inching his way up a hill. Even though a double line, would normally quickly go around without even slowing down. However, here is this Municipal Cop following him up – waiting for a volunteer to come along to give him a pay day. Rather than finish my clutch on this little gong show, I pulled over and waited. After about 5 minutes, cop finally gave up and passed the truck, so I was able to carry on.

Got on Hwy 16 for a real treat of great twisted road and pretty nice scenery. Hung up for half an hour while a tow truck extracted a pickup from a ravine.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Stopped in the little town of Yacura –- supposed to have 4 or 5 hotels . . . it does. Most of them seem to be being renovated -– guess they are getting ready for Semana Santa (Easter), their biggest holiday of the year. Settled on the King Hotel . . . right next to the King Restaurant and across the street from King Super Mercado.
    [​IMG]

And, across the street from what must be the King’s new house. I'’m thinkin King has done ok –- probably not from owning a hotel though. Notice the turrets on top of the chimneys? Nice touch.

[​IMG]

Weird check-in. Young guy comes over from the store, shows me the room. Ask him if they have internet. Says no, points at the unplugged router and starts talking about the line from the road being broken and plugs it in to show me. Takes me to the room and I ask the price - $400p . . . not unreasonable except, I had noticed a price board leaning against the wall in the office saying $350p. I rarely try to grind on price ($30 for a room really isn'’t a big deal) but this just irked me. Settled on $300p. Got back to the office and I look at the router – green light. Ask for the wireless key. Worked like a charm. I think the kid just didn’'t want to bother with it.

This guy hanging off the railing was hilarious. He and another guy were painting the hotel. Being a small town, he knew every person and when they walked by he’'d yell at them. When he wasn'’t yelling, he was singing at the top of his lungs –- all of this interspersed with large amounts of ki-yaying –- half the time I thought I was in the middle of a bar scene of an old Grade B Mexican Western. Kept me entertained until dark.

[​IMG]

These northern towns can get pretty cold at night and can even have snow. In Mexico, you don't see heaters in rooms (maybe a couple of wool blankets) except in these high northern towns (and Northern Baja.) Had these somewhat dodgy propane setups in each room. Having been around boats I had developed a paranoia about propane tanks being well ventilated and outside. Oh well, when in Mexico . . . With the window cracked and the space under the door, I guess there wouldn'’t be any buildup.
    [​IMG]
  6. Sleddog

Sleddog Ridin, again:)

Oddometer:
    My two trips to Mexico have been almost exclusively in the Canyons. They are wonderful, definitely need to be added to your must do list.

My next trip (2-up with my Wife) will be more of what you have been riding. Although a trip to Batopilas is a must.:clap We're getting lots of good ideas of areas we would like to visit from your RR, thanks

We had fun on the roads around Creel also:D

[​IMG]

Sleddog
  7. RexBuck

RexBuck Long timer

Oddometer:
    Now that is what a tire is supposed to look like. :clap

Glad you got some ideas and thanks for your comments.
  8. RexBuck

RexBuck Long timer

Oddometer:
    April 1

I think Hwy 16 ranks up in my top 5 roads in Mexico. Pretty good scenery, great road, little traffic and great pavement.
    [​IMG]

Hermosillo is an irritation. Good thing they have a by-pass. Except part of the bypass was torn up with construction so, stop and go. Grrr -– more clutch.

Once out on the desert, pretty boring.

Got pulled in again (like last year) at the permanent Army Checkpoint on the way to Santa Ana. Run my bags through the x-ray machine. Young army guy was eyeing my sidebags too, I didn’t offer to take them off and he didn’t ask. Even had me open my gas can. Nice kid though – gave me some good practice in Spanish. Good thing he didn’t ask for my documents.

Stopped in Santa Ana . . . the fork in the road. Staying at Hotel Los Lagos. Nice place - $400p. Notice hotels tend to be getting more Americanized (as are the people) as we get closer to the border.
    [​IMG]

And just to quash the belief held by some that I never do laundry, here is my
    clothesline

[​IMG]

Also noticed that I have seen almost no taxis and no colectivos for quite a few days now. – Durango -– a few taxis. Zacatecas -– a few taxis, lots of buses. Further south, collectivos (usually the little pickups) and taxis seem to be a big part of local transportation.
  9. RexBuck

RexBuck Long timer

Oddometer:
    Day 20 - Apr 4

Desert straight and flat

[​IMG]

Lots of these
    [​IMG]

and these
    [​IMG]

Find the tourist
    [​IMG]

Been reading horror stories about people leaving the country without their Tourist Card to hand back in. Big fines, etc. Head to the border with my Visa Card cringing in fear at the possible damage these fines will inflict.:cry

Arrive at the Aduana (Customs – which is about 30 km from the border) and head to the Migración office. Once I get across to the officer what the situation is, he essentially says, no problem, don'’t worry about it. I'’m thinkin he doesn'’t understand what I’'m on about. Seems he does. Says it only matters if you get stopped inside the country – you might get fined for not having the card. The Migración folks just don’t care. Cool! :deal

Then head over to turn in my TVIP and get my bond back. They have to get a picture of the VIN plate before they will process the refund. Mine is wrapped around the steering head and the agent worked for 45 minutes to get all of it in one pic. Had his boss come out, made phone calls, I took my windshield off . . . couldn’'t get it in one pic. Then we notice the VIN stamped vertically in the side of the steering head just below the VIN plate . . . who knew? :doh

My refund came through the next day. It’'s the equivalent of a U$400 bond and with all the exchange rate transactions, I received 40c less than I paid -– worked out great.

Wow! Back in the US. Very weird - that the meat of my trip is finished. It'’s difficult to process the huge variety of experiences and sensual stimulations as one event. Mexico is such a varied country with such a difference in terrain, people and cultures that rather than being a trip in Mexico, it was a series of events in Mexico. What a wonderful country. :clap
  10. going south

going south hero & Zero...

Oddometer:
    Amen...

Wow.. Great RR.... thanks for taking the time....:clap
  11. LS650

LS650 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Amen! Thanks for a great ride report - hopefully you have a few more interesting posts to make before you get home...
  12. RexBuck

RexBuck Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thank you.

These things do take a bit of effort but I really enjoyed doing it. Glad you folks had a bit of entertainment from it also.
  13. RexBuck

RexBuck Long timer

Oddometer:
    You are welcome and thank you.

Yup, one more post coming up.
  14. RexBuck

RexBuck Long timer

Oddometer:
    The final 12 days or so were spent heading back home with some family visits along the way. Didn't take the cameras out much.

Of course, I was in the middle of the Arizona desert from the start which carried on until I got to California’'s Central Valley. Sometimes deserts can be a bit monotonous to ride in but I find their unique beauty makes them very worthwhile.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Forgot how far it is between gas stations in the southern Mojave and had to use my spare gas.

Stayed in Porterville which gave me the opportunity to wander through those beautiful orange groves, nut orchards, olive groves and vineyards of that area. Had an argument with General Sherman . . . IPA that is. The General won. Led to Burger King followed by gas station chicken.

Was able to stay off the highways and found a back road that led me to Hwy 49 – always a treat.
    [​IMG]

Had been having some vibration in my front tire -– was getting pretty worn –- hoping to make it to Sacramento when I knew I’d have lots of time to change it. Turns out it was the back frickin tire . . . flat . . . screw. I rode that sucker for 200 miles . . . flat. :yikes What an idiot! But, you had to look close at the rear to notice it was flat. The Heidenau is so stiff, it just rode on the sidewalls. Anyhow, that's my story and I'm stickin to it!

Got two new tires. Went to take the rear off using the sidestand to break the bead . . . wouldn'’t go. After trying every angle and position - repeated, finally took it over to a Honda dealership and they took it off with their tire machine -– tube was in shreds. I’'m really glad I didn’'t have to deal with this out in the boonies somewhere –- probably would have had to drive over it with a taxi or something. Great tire though. (Edit: Found out a year or so later that the Heidies are made of such hard rubber that they have no traction as soon as anything get's wet - changed my opinion to Real Shit!)

Spent a bit of time with my Dad who is 97. Son came over for an afternoon.

Then headed up the Oregon coast to see a cousin.
    [​IMG]

Knew it was spring when I came across the largest flock I'd ever seen of Canada Geese heading north. Hard to see here but they actually extended further over the hill on the far side

[​IMG]

Finally pointed up Hwy 97 into Washington and started to see snow on the mountains. Brrrr. Of course I had my heated gear cranked so it was cold on the outside but I was still in Mexico on the inside. :thumb

Thought I might get a big hassle coming back into Canada without my passport – no problem “have a good day Sir.” And I did. :wave
  15. Sunday Rider

Sunday Rider Adventurer Wanabe

Oddometer:
    Thanks for taking the trouble to post your trip up. Really enjoyed it. You cracked me up in many of your posts. Looked forward to it each morning as I shuffled my to do list on my desk.

Glad they let you back in without any drama:lol3

Where's the next trip?
  16. RexBuck

RexBuck Long timer

Oddometer:
    You are welcome and thanks for your kind comments.

Don't know where the next trip will be. Have some ideas for down the road but will see how things pan out. Certainly Mexico again (and again) but also thinking further south.
  17. jimmex

jimmex Guero con moto Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nice trip. I stayed at the same hotel in Yecora. It was interesting. Gotta love Mexico.
  18. Sunday Rider

Sunday Rider Adventurer Wanabe

Oddometer:
    So what did you do about the clutch? Did you already cover that, I couldn't find it.
  19. RexBuck

RexBuck Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks. There was more to Yecora than I expected. Has a newly built town square - quite modernistic - my pics of it didn't turn out. I was down there in the evening and most of the people seemed to be in the church for a wedding. Town square set up for the reception complete with band.

I babied it all the way home. I thought it was feeling a bit loose towards the end but no problems. Had Sierra BMW send me a new one when I was in Sacramento so, could have easily done a changeover as I had the parts with me.

Hindsight being what it is, I guess I could have taken the extra week and a half needed to get the parts down to Mexico, planted myself in a nice town and done the changeover there. Would have taken the edge off the remainder of the trip.
  20. GuateRider

GuateRider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Great RR and lots of intersting information ! Thx :clap:clap