Mexico Checklist

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Bigguy136, Oct 14, 2020.

1. Bigguy136

Bigguy136 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi,
    I was planning a Mexico trip for another year out but I have an opportunity to go in a few days. I have new tires coming and will be leaving Saturday for 3-4 weeks. I live in Minnesota so the winter weather will determine how long I can stay.
    I want to ride Copper Canyon for the most part.
    I have my passport and travel medical insurance. I will get motorcycle insurance but not sure if I should buy in US or Mexico. Any info? Buy on-line?
    I believe Copper Canyon will also require temporary vehicle tax? Buy in Mexico?
    I was going to cross in Arizona. From my reading, Mexico is letting us cross?
    Being a US citizen, I can retuen without issues?
    Thanks so much for any help. I thought I had another year to plan this trip.
    MotoCamino likes this.
  2. Tricepilot

Tricepilot Bailando Con Las Estrellas Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Heya Big Guy

Press the magic button below:

[​IMG]
  3. Bigguy136

Oddometer:
    Thanks for all your help. I've posted many times helping others and several ride reports.
    I have read some of the 'is mexico safe' but over 2200 pages that started over 10 years ago isn't very useful. Maybe if it was 5 current pages with specific topics, it would have a purpose.
    No need to add more links, I will figure it out.
    A shame that I won't be posting my 3-4 week trip thru copper canyon.
    Migolito likes this.
  4. Tricepilot

Tricepilot Bailando Con Las Estrellas Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    @Bigguy136 The first few posts will answer the questions you asked and a lot more. No need to read through the entire thread.
    HeadShrinker likes this.
  5. 88Marine

88Marine Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I went to Mexico a year ago this month. I purchased my insurance policy online, effective for the dates I knew I would be in Mexico. I did need a TVIP because of going well beyond the border region (not Copper Canyon). Consider this on your TVIP, if you pay cash you will get cash back when you clear Mexican customs (MUST CLEAR MEXICAN CUSTOMS) with your vehicle. If you use a credit card, you are subject to rate of exchange fluctuations. I'm glad you purchased travel medical. A member of the group I was with had a bad crash and his employer coughed up the money to get him back stateside. PM me if you have questions.
  6. Zubb

Zubb he went that-a-way... Supporter

Oddometer:
    Why not? I'd love to see pics and hear your story.
  7. viajero

viajero Too old to be a nOOb

Oddometer:
    Take some extra pens and notebooks for when come upon a rural school. You'll make some kids very happy and have new friends for life.
    snglfin, severely and Tricepilot like this.
  8. jonz

jonz Miles are my mantra Supporter

Oddometer:
    CA dez (it's a dry heat)/West Yellowstone,MT
    As mentioned, post #2 will answer most of your questions. Then maybe scan the last 10 pages or so. If you have more questions, post up here.

Why not? It's always great reading what others discovered that may be of use to us
  9. severely

severely almost a noob

Oddometer:
    OK Bigguy, I'll shorten it up for you. 1 buy insurance before you go, as you'll have time to decide whether full coverage or liability only insurance is right for you. 2 DO NOT PASS the Banjercito or Aduana, here you will get the FMM needed to get the TVIP for your bike and pay any fees included, if this step is missed the insurance you purchased is INVALID in Mexico and it'll be better to get all paperwork done IN Mexico not online. IMO 3 As far as the Covid questions crossing into/out of US/Mexico now appears OK, the future ?????? 4 BE SURE to stop at said Aduana/Banjercito and return paperwork, you'll get your deposit returned and all will be well should you decide to return {you will}. And NO you needn't return to the SAME Aduana/Banjercito you checked in with. Have a great ride and please reconsider your decision on an RR
    mouthfulloflake and pceire32 like this.
  10. Bubwheat

Bubwheat Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just a question, why not go thru El Paso/Santa Teresa,NM? Seems to be a lot closer, and it's hard to find a crossing faster/easier than Santa Teresa, down to Chihuahua, to Creel. Asking for a friend!
  11. Sjoerd Bakker

Sjoerd Bakker Long timer

Oddometer:
    Bubwheat makes a good point; a Texas border crossing into Mexico makes a lot more sense than entering from Arizona IF you are riding from Minnesota and your target is the Copper Canyon region.
    Unless you are meeting up with the other rider in AZ of course . The Arizona path adds a needless pile of distance because you will retreat back to the east in Mexico to hit the CC. Even Santa Teresa can be considered needlessly farther west .
    If you fellows are both starting in MN it would be quickest to head south as far and fast as you can and I would recommend entering Mexico at OJINAGA.Cross immediately at whatever hour you arrive there, even if it is at sunset.You can easily locate a good hotel there in OJINAGA, dont chicken out and spend the night in Presidio .
    In Ojinaga you can get all the Mexican documentation done easily, in the evening or in the morning when you are well rested .
    As noted ,it is YOUR responsibility to stop at the Mexican Migracion and Banjercito to get the paperwork done, nobody is going to ask you to do so or force you to.
    No big city hassles,and then you can ride directly to Cd CHIHUAHUA on Mex 16 and proceed straight to the CC portals .
    snglfin likes this.
  12. Bubwheat

Bubwheat Long timer

Oddometer:
    Mr. Bakker makes a lot of sense, and by his route, you are way too close to Big Bend to not stop there, either coming or going!
    snglfin likes this.
  13. Bigguy136

Oddometer:
    Thanks everyone, some great info and gives me the confidence that I will have what I need and what to get done.
    I'm packing tonight and on the road at first light.
    Thanks again!!
  14. WileyRTW

WileyRTW Wiley

Oddometer:
    :photog
  15. Bigguy136

Oddometer:
    Thanks, I couldn't get to Ojinaga last night but got there at 11AM, got thru customs and now in Chihuahua.
    Ojinaga looks like it would've been a fun night but I was just north of Kansas City, left there at 4AM and rode for 15 hours. Didn't have it in myself to push any more.
  16. Bigguy136

Oddometer:
    Now to figure out copper canyon...
    Rips Millar and 88Marine like this.
  17. Bigguy136

Oddometer:
    I rode copper canyon from Chihuahua to Hermosillo. Took about 10 hours. I recorded all of it and can upload when back gome. I assume a 10 minute highlights would be better??
    I didn't find it to resemble the Grand Canyon as much as maybe the Smokey mountains or tail of the dragon.
    After 10 hours of all turns, I thought I might go on roads a bit straighter and take a swing at getting into Central America. Thinking of crossing into Guatemala at La Messilla. See what happens.
    All I read, I can keep my Mexico TVIP, show passport at border and might need to also show proof of funds. Then I can cross back to Mexico and not go thru customs.
    Am I far off??
    Again, thanks for everyone's help. This trip was thrown together last minute and making it up as I go. A first time going to Mexico and the people are so warm and friendly. I just need to get use to eating tortillas for every meal....
    szurszewski likes this.
  18. WileyRTW

WileyRTW Wiley

Oddometer:
    That is an area I have barely seen, but Mexico as a whole is incredible and diverse, no need to look to C.A. just yet, plenty still in store for you, enjoy!
  19. Gustavo

Gustavo Motociclista Errante

Oddometer:
    Maybe I misunderstood what you wrote, but I suspect you rode north of the Copper Canyon and didn't actually see it. Seems you went straight down Hwy 16 from Chihuahua to Hermosillo. Not too late to turn around and go back and see what you missed... :deal

Technically, you have to return both FMM and TVIP when you leave the country. In practice, yes, you can use both as a multiple entry for the duration they gave you (typically 180 days).

Gustavo
    Blakebird likes this.
  20. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
    You did not see the copper canyon. Did you swing down to Creel and then over to the look out at Divisadero or down to Guachochi and visit the Mirador de Sinforosa? when you leave Mexico for Guatemala you keep your TVIP open but you have to surrender your FFM and stamp out of Mexico in order to stamp into Guatemala, it is different than going north into the US where you can do as Gustavo said.