Mexico Checklist

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Bigguy136, Oct 14, 2020.

1. Yinzer Moto

Yinzer Moto Sloppy 300 rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    It took us about 10 days to do a loop though copper canyon, he crossed it in 1.
  2. dksd39

dksd39 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Consider joining the facebook group Motorcycle Mexico. It offers accurate up-to-date information from Mexico riders and provides (in addition to the vast amount of information) the availability of assistance. I spent 3 months in Mexico last year and an additional 3 months riding all of central america. Feel free to PM if needed.
  3. Bigguy136

Bigguy136 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for some great info. I had other roads I was going to ride but it was a bit warm. I was planning this for February/ March area but work wouldn't roll my vacation over to the new year so that is why this trip was thrown together in 4 days and why I was so unprepared.
    I'm liking Mexico and pulling into little towns for food. I will be back. I guess Central America is a bucket list thing i want to get done. Then in February, I can come back and really explore.
    I'm a little past mexico city.
    If anyone cares to follow, here is my Garmin tracker
    https://share.garmin.com/bigguy
  4. Sjoerd Bakker

Sjoerd Bakker Long timer

Oddometer:
    Big Guy, Gustavo is spot on . Looking at your Garmin tracker for ALL of your tracks it is clear that you missed the "Copper Canyon" proper because you traversed from Chihuahua city to Hermosillo on Mex 16 . Not quite what you suggested in the opening post ..”I want to ride Copper Canyon for the most part.”
    I do hope you stopped to see the Candameña Canyon and the Basaseachi waterfall at the small town of BASASEACHI . It would have required a few km detour off Mex 16 but you would have seen something Grand Canyonish there. Next time !!
    You do appear to be spending much of your time on the fast toll roads 15D and 150D in central Mexico .Those toll roads may make for fast travel and getting far ,and if that is your wish that is fine , you are seeing Mexico for the first time . But you are flying past a lot of stuff apparently unaware that great scenery and riding can be off those toll roads . Fine if you absolutely want to miss cities and make distance , but you are sailing past a lot of really good stuff to be found off those freeways . Did you miss visiting Teotihuacan which was close to your Arco Norte pass around the DF?.
    Do try to work it so that you travel much more on the toll -free roads ,the older two lanes that get you a total immersion of Mexico , not just a fleeting de-orbit to get fed and fueled and hotel and then back to the speedway.
    Sticking to the toll roads on the premise that it was too warm for using the” other roads” to which you allude is a poor excuse and Central Mexico is not known for exceedingly hot weather .
    The temperature is going to be the same on the toll and free roads , so it may be a question of adjusting your clothing to get more air flow .I don't mean to suggest to ride with short sleeves and flipflops but I do hope you are not riding in a full space suit all zippered up more approriate for Montana .
    Of course this is only your fact finding first (?) trip , later on you can give it all a second ( third ,...tenth ...) re- do . So many free roads ...!

If the stated three weeks for this trip is now going to include Central America it will require a lot of hustle . Forget about getting back to Minnesota before winter ... it has arrived already there:vardy. You might have to overwinter in the south or hire a rental van :muuttto make it home .

Tortillas for breakfast,lunch , dinner , snacks in between , roasted , toasted ,baked, deep fried, boiled .... No excuse to leave the table hungry , the restaurant host will gladly replenish the tortilla bowl if you ate the first stack . If you do not wish more just thank them politely , “no mas por favor , es suficiente .”

Enjoy every minute ( and every tortilla de maïs ) of your ride .

PS: This Sunday 25 Oct. morning ,10am , I see your Garmin puts you already at Chiapa de Corzo ,Chiapas . Man ,you are racing along . Going to take a boat tour up the Sumidero Canyon , or is it Guatemala tonight :D.? If you are using in real time at roadside the Garmin map that displays your route progress you have extreme detail for any road at your service .
    WileyRTW likes this.
  5. Sjoerd Bakker

Sjoerd Bakker Long timer

Oddometer:
    Big guy / Kevin :confused::dunno, please , don’t say that you are turned around and now headed back to La Mesilla and Mexico the same way you came into GT. .I hope it is not because of some mechanical issue. This looks as if it might be a repeat variant of your Copper Canyon effort. Do , please, reveal that I am mistaken and the GARMIN bread crumb trail fails to show a good number side excursions you did make .
    You were sooooooo close to Lago Atitalan , one would at least have expected you to do the super neat side road loop to SOLOLA and Panajachel on the north shore GEDC0353.JPG of the lake,safe tourist spots , then on to Patzun before getting back on the Pan Am Highway.

B52164B5-D727-49A9-8DE3-EC19C14B35BA.jpeg

Even the return to Mexico by way of your aborted route through Xela and then west to San Marcos and Tapachula Mexico would have been a great alternate route to start the homeward trek. And please ,please ,please do not back track every same road through Mexico after this .
  6. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
    Im with Sjoerd on this
    Take a deep breath and relax. Pull out your maps and look at a different route for your return. You will have to go back to Guatemala, there is so much beauty there.
  7. Bigguy136

Oddometer:
    I missed out on all that Copper Canyon has but I will be back. I ruched the trip and didn't know where to go. I then decided on Guatemala and hit the toll roads to get me there in a hurry. If I liked the place, I could stay longer. As it turns out, all major roads are being blocked by protesters.
    I got a taste of Guatemala and I know I want to return. I will now plan a slower return route thru mexico.
    I will do a ride report but I will also modify my forst post with brief overview of border crossings. Guatemala requires a covid test to be done prior to entry. Maybe everyone already knew but me??
    20201026_095558.jpg 20201026_071914.jpg
    Animo and Cal like this.
  8. WileyRTW

WileyRTW Wiley

Oddometer:
    Careful leaving that nice bike in the market, someone is gonna buy it!

More pics please, even if you do this trip way to fast, enjoy it, it was so much harder for me to get back down there than I thought it would as life gets in the way once you return home.
    Yinzer Moto likes this.
  9. Bigguy136

Oddometer:
    Haha, the bike is a bit too tall and way too heavy for the locals. They all stare like I'm from Mars.
    I will do a write up with pics and vids when I get home. I will edit them down but over 500gb of video.
    Turned off the toll roads and seeing how the slow lane vs opening for weather in Minnesota to return. Just saw Monday is forecast for 50.
    I bounced around on my plan. I was figuring it out as I went. I didn't know much about copper canyon and never found any detailed maps. After taking 16 across, it didn't do much for me. Then I figured Guatemala and put my head down. I should've stayed longer but with the protests closing streets, my unlimited international calling and data plan not giving me any coverage in Guatemala, Google maps not working and Garmin being so far off on the roads that it just stopped trying to reroute me, I figured I would take a slower route home and watch for a window of rideable weather into Minnesota.
    At the Guatemala border.
    20201027_073750.jpg
    Cal likes this.
  10. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
    wow nice and quiet at the border! Can you tell us more about your Covid test to enter Guatemala , thanks.
  11. Bigguy136

Oddometer:
    I stamped out of Mexico, went to Guatemala customs, got and paid for tire fumigation, then next building asked for mexico physical. I didn't understand so they wrote it down. I brought that note to mexico customs. They called doc and he was 1 hour away. Dr office is furthest building to right of customs. You will see universal dr symbol. Killed hour then went to Dr office parking lot, played with his goat till a pickup pulled in. He asked normal covid questions, drew blood, waited 40 minutes and got my all clear. Paid 3,000 pesos and he gave me letter. Went back to Guatemala customs, drove past tire spray area, handed letter and all the other standard stuff and I was in. Image is note. 20201025_122921.jpg
    Animo, Cal and WileyRTW like this.
  12. Tricepilot

Tricepilot Bailando Con Las Estrellas Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Interesting chain of events.

If he drew blood (serological test) then that is a test for antibodies, not active infection. "What it shows: Shows if you’ve been infected by coronavirus in the past" "What this type of test can't do: Diagnose active coronavirus infection at the time of the test or show that you do not have COVID-19".

Moreover, a blood draw serological antibody test is not a PCR (nasal swab in most cases, or sometimes saliva) test, as written on the note.

I'll be in Honduras in February 2021. More scuba diving. To enter there the test must be a PCR test with results within 72 hours of date and time of entry. They won't accept any type of blood test for the reasons above.

But hey, you got in. That's what counts :beer