Mexico Fuel crisis Baja area

Discussion in 'Americas' started by rnrdozer, Jan 10, 2017.

1. rnrdozer

rnrdozer Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    We are planning on crossing the border in Tecate on Jan 27th. I cant help but notice all the problems going on with the fuel increase since the beginning of the year. There have been road blocks and demonstrations protesting the increase. There have been many gas stations out of fuel leaving people stranded. Does anyone have any firsthand information as to the current condition of things down there? We will have 9 bikes and a chase truck to keep fueled so I'm not feeling real good about the situation.
  2. CaptUglyDan

CaptUglyDan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Everythings fluid right now and chit changes by the hour, I have heard that stations that have gas are refusing to fill gas cans. only vehicles.
    princess jamaica and rnrdozer like this.
  3. rnrdozer

Oddometer:
    Thanks, I was going to bring an extra tank also. problem that hit us last year was that we entered Tecate with a 75 gallon tank full and they told us we couldn't enter the country with fuel. We had to cross back into the states and give it away.
  4. CaptUglyDan

Oddometer:
    I was going to mention that, They do frown upon bringing extra fuel in the country. I usually cross at Mexicali nd top off my tank at the last Pemex south of town and fill my rotopax.
    rnrdozer likes this.
  5. BigDogAdventures

BigDogAdventures Fart Letter

Oddometer:
    I'm goin' anyway---------maybe it will be all over in February ??
    Baja that is.

Hey Mr. Dozer :clap
    delux2769 and rnrdozer like this.
  6. richwolf

richwolf n00b

Oddometer:
    I was just down there on a mountain bike holiday and saw a road blockage north of Vincente Guerrero and dozens of protestors at a gas station. We were doing bikepacking out of the Meling Ranch and were worried about getting back with only a half tank of gas in our toyota. We came back yesterday (1-9-17) and had no trouble getting gas or getting across the border. I think things will stay in flux, but hey you only live once!
    rnrdozer likes this.
  7. Rhode trip

Rhode trip guided by voices Supporter

Oddometer:
    Mrs Trip and I crossed at San Luis Rio Colorado this morning. I was aware of the price increase and subsequent shortage but had the impression the supply problems were resolved. I did not notice until we passed a station in the city with a long line. I assumed it might be a local thing. We continued on through Luis B. Sanchez, Ledon, and EJ. Durango headed for San Felipe. NO Pemex stations were open. We finally stopped at this one. They were keeping their employees busy painting and cleaning the pump area and the station.

[​IMG]

They told us they had no idea when they would get more gas. Maybe tomorrow...maybe in a month. They did not know of any stations with gas...they said maybe Guadelupe Victoria....maybe not. A nice young woman stopped and discussed further with us. We were trying to find out if gas was available in San Felipe. The Pemex guys shrugged. She said she doubted there was any. Our choice was to continue to San Felipe, at which point we would need more, or turn back to Yuma with what we had. We decided to turn back, rather than end up stranded. Especially since San Felipe is one thing...will there be gas in Puertecitos? Gonzaga? We only have a 200 mile range, including the Rotopaks we have on our bikes.

When we got back to San Luis, there was still a line at the first Pemex, but no one at the pumps. I saw one guy at the front getting a pizza delivered!
    We passed a second station that Mrs Trip pointed out, was not open this morning. This is what it looked like. Notice NO vehicles are actually AT the pumps.
    These people seemed to be queuing with containers or possibly to get numbers.

[​IMG]

There was a long line of cars.

[​IMG]

that continued around the corner and as far as the eye could see...

[​IMG]

We are now back in Yuma saying "WTF". If you are "Going Anyway" you better be taking your mountain bike because currently you are not going to be gas powered. Mrs Trip remarked on how few cars were on the road...."It's like an episode of the walking dead!"
    Dao1, The_Precious_Juice and rnrdozer like this.
  8. Rhode trip

Rhode trip guided by voices Supporter

Oddometer:
    What route did you take that gas was available? We are sitting here wanting to be in Baja.
  9. rnrdozer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the update Rhode trip! I didn't know it was that bad down there. I'm thinking seriously about pushing the trip out to March now.
    MAXVERT likes this.
  10. BigDogAdventures

BigDogAdventures Fart Letter

Oddometer:
    I'm still goin'------first of February---------if there is no gas in Baja------I'll just ride in California, Arizona, -------maybe New Mexico or even Texas. Got gobs of unfinished business down there---------but I got to get out of the ice and snow.

Or------------------beat it to San Francisquito----------run out of gas-------- and stay the winter !!!!!
    BigDog

[​IMG]

Heck------it's going to put this poor little feller out of a job-------seat polishing while fueling up.
    [​IMG]
  11. princess jamaica

princess jamaica OLD DOG-NEW TRICKS

Oddometer:
    No protests from Santa Rosalia to Loreto,but you have to get here first.All of the stations have been out of gas at one point,but it is a supply problem.I can't believe this will still be a problem at the end of the month,but there is no guarantee.The people need to work,and in most cases,that requires a car and that requires gas.Hope it works out for you.
    rnrdozer likes this.
  12. richwolf

richwolf n00b

Oddometer:
    I went from Meling Ranch to Colonet and then up through Ensenada and TJ to San Diego. All gas stations that I saw were open and no real lines.
  13. Use2btrix

Use2btrix Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm planning a trip down to Cabo and back starting in a week and a half or so. Those of you there now, recently, or going soon, please update this frequently if possible. I don't have a major problem hitting the southwest US if necessary, but have no clue where I'd go. Most mountainous areas are pretty chilly this time of year for the camping equipment I have.
    Dan Diego and DirtyDogBreath like this.
  14. richwolf

richwolf n00b

Oddometer:
    There are about 85 Mountain bikers doing the Baja Divide mostly offroad route right now in Baja. You might want to join their facebook page (Baja Divide) and look for posts. Right now it doesn't appear that there are any disruptions. Here is the link: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajadivide/
    My advice is to go while you can. You never know what the future will bring. Just keep an eye on the news and react accordingly.
    97707 and rnrdozer like this.
  15. CaptUglyDan

Oddometer:
    97707 likes this.
  16. rnrdozer

Oddometer:
    Good call, I've been checking the talk Baja page about every hour on the hour! good up to date information. Also I have a friend that lives in San Felipe and he just told me they now have gas there.
  17. CaptUglyDan

Oddometer:
    I just saw that on Baja Nomads as well, I think MJS posted it. From what I gather the masses are gearing up for more demonstrations come Febuary when another price increase is due to be implemented. Sad situation for all.
  18. rnrdozer

Oddometer:
    My worry is that we'll be down there until mid February. I hope they hold off on raising prices again.
  19. Strong Bad

Strong Bad Former World's Foremost Authority Supporter

Oddometer:
    A second planed price hike is supposed to happen on Feb. 2, the one on Jan. 1 was just the first.
    rnrdozer likes this.
  20. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    Villa Maria Sanitarium, Claremont, CA. USA
    I didn't know there was a shortage. I was under the impression that there were protests because of the price hike from the Government. $1 a gallon hike I think?

Baja and Mexico vacations are losing the reputation as a less expensive way to go. We are finding we spend around the same amount of money traveling there on two motorcycles as we do in the USA anymore.

We love Baja too.