Mexico Fuel crisis Baja area

Discussion in 'Americas' started by rnrdozer, Jan 10, 2017.

1. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
    This may be some what true in Baja but not the main land. I travel the mainland mostly because Baja is like a suburb of California:D Still like it there but not as much as the mainland.
    I use the Canadian peso so the US right now is very expensive compared to Mexico, cant seem to find 15.00 hotels in the US or 3 tacos for a buck.
    delux2769, kantuckid and Animo like this.
  2. Strong Bad

Strong Bad Former World's Foremost Authority Supporter

Oddometer:

You are correct TUCKERS, there is not a shortage in that PEMEX has no fuel to sell, they have fuel at the depots. The so called "shortage" is that due to PEMEX being unable to deliver to the stations, the stations are running out of fuel.

The current exchange rate this morning is 21.57 pesos to the dollar, that makes it pretty affordable.
  3. zigyphoto

zigyphoto PAY ATTENTION Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm entering Mexico on 26 Feb near Mexicali and heading down to La Paz to catch ferry on 31 Jan

Here's link to my query: Looking for a riding companion. Interested?"

Z
  4. BigDogAdventures

BigDogAdventures Fart Letter

Oddometer:
    Well thanks for the offer-----sounds like you have a great ride coming up.
    But we have different itineraries--------------we'll be doing "all" offroad" stuff on dirt bikes-------and we'll be coming out when you are going in.

Thanks !!
    Mark
  5. zigyphoto

zigyphoto PAY ATTENTION Supporter

Oddometer:
    Mark, thanks. Figured so from your Avatar.... z
  6. jonz

jonz Miles are my mantra Supporter

Oddometer:
    CA dez (it's a dry heat)/West Yellowstone,MT
    Hey BigDog, I'm planning on riding the No Wimps Trail on 1/31 with dozer if things go as planned and there is gas available. My last trip down a month or so ago, we got pulled into the secondary inspection in Baja to check on our dirt bikes. Also, I was hauling a couple of new tires for a friend and we had to pay the import tax. While standing there, I saw the sign saying you couldn't bring in gas. I had a 5 gallon jug full sitting right next to those tires and they didn't say a thing.
    rnrdozer likes this.
  7. BigDogAdventures

BigDogAdventures Fart Letter

Oddometer:
    Things are gettin weird down there aren't they.

And ------------hope you get thru the no wimps.
    I know it's a bucket list thing for you. I'll be taking the "wimps" trail.
    rnrdozer and ScotsFire like this.
  8. kantuckid

kantuckid Long timer

Oddometer:
    There ARE! good people both places IMO!:doh
    rnrdozer likes this.
  9. rnrdozer

rnrdozer Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I think I called it a fuel crisis not a shortage. Although when there's no fuel at many of the Pemex stations I would call that a shortage for the end user. I did just read an article that claims they are only able to supply 3 days ahead of fuel so it could become a much bigger problem. I still love Baja as one of the last frontiers. Compared to California it's still much cheaper. The weak Peso really ads to the bargain as well.
  10. rnrdozer

Oddometer:
    Jonz, what did they charge you? I was going to bring extra tires this year. One of the reasons I didn't ride the NWT last year was a tire issue I got on day one of our ride. I had a brand new set of maxis desert IT's on and I got a rock jammed Between the swing arm and the tire without knowing it I powered through and tore off almost all the center knobs. I was down to the cords until I got a new tire in Loreto.
  11. Strong Bad

Strong Bad Former World's Foremost Authority Supporter

Oddometer:
    They typically don't bother with a couple of 5 gallon cans of fuel brought in along with dirt bikes. You try crossing down with a race car along with 55 gallon drums of race fuel and they have problems! I cross with race car support (chase) trucks all the time for the 500 & 1000 and they never say anything about 5 gallon jugs, drums of race fuel have to be bought in Mexico.
  12. rnrdozer

Oddometer:
    Last year we had a 75 gallon fuel tank in the back of our chase truck and had to return to the US side and empty it. I'm going to bring an empty 100 gallon tank this year and fill it up when I can in mexico. I'll feel better with a supply of fuel if needed.
  13. ztrab

ztrab Long timer

Oddometer:
    Getting gas across in a storage tank is technically illegal without a permit but I have gotten away with it many times at Tecate. Never had to bribe anyone, just a little small talk. I always take new tires and rub them in the dirt and mark them up with a yellow grease pen or silver sharpie, circles, x's, names and explain they tare used back up tires. no import tariffs or hassles. Given the shortages, they might be a little more sensitive to gringo gas coming across. Crossing in a month, guessing it will be resolved, we won't be supported.
  14. jonz

Oddometer:
    18% tax. The woman working there had a cell phone app for tire prices and was within $5 of what my friend paid for them. If the tires are spares for your vehicle, you may get away with not paying anything. When deciding whether to charge us or not, they looked at the size of the tires on my pickup and compared them with the size of the new tires in the back of my truck - had they been the same size, I got the impression we wouldn't have had to pay the tax.
  15. jonz

Oddometer:
    Ya, the last few times I've been to BOLA, no premium gas so it would be good to carry some. Who knows how the current fuel strikes will affect premium gas availability.
  16. MAXVERT

MAXVERT O.G. on da O.C.

Oddometer:
    Just to clarify ^^^ he's talking about full sized unmounted pickup tires and one can see the aduana wanting to charge duty !
    Spare moto tires for your bike are a different kettle of fish, or fish taco :D

Jonz - Just getting my Rekluse fitted and ready to rock :thumbup

Twist it, Max
    jonz likes this.
  17. MJS

MJS Long timer

Oddometer:
    Moto tires are not allowed either without paying tax (if you get stopped). You'll have better luck if it is a race weekend AND the tires are mounted on wheels. But I know of a couple of guys who were stopped and had to pay tax for bringing moto tires across the border (for a race). OTOH, I have brought a number of tires down (well packed in the rear seat of the truck) and because we were not stopped, no duty.

YMMV.
  18. jonz

Oddometer:
    BTW, being charged the 18% tax was legitimate - we just hoped we wouldn't be caught and taxed. And Max, I've gotten the BRP handlebar mount with Scotts Stabilizer installed. Last thing will be the monster gas tank.
  19. rnrdozer

Oddometer:
    We'll be crossing in Tecate on the 27th riding to Cabo, if your interested in riding with us let me know.
  20. jdp52

jdp52 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    [QUOT"rnrdozer, post: 31298517, member: 135079"]We'll be crossing in Tecate on the 27th riding to Cabo, if your interested in riding with us let me know.[/QUOTE]

I am still looking to cross end of February.hoping to be mostly on dirt
    No time crunch so no fixed plan
    Would feel safer joining up with another rider/small group .
    Any interest?