Mexico Fuel crisis Baja area

Discussion in 'Americas' started by rnrdozer, Jan 10, 2017.

1. jonz

jonz Miles are my mantra Supporter

Oddometer:
    CA dez (it's a dry heat)/West Yellowstone,MT
    "I have been riding with some early 30's kids, I call them my Bike Concierges. I took one of them up a gnarly box canyon, it had been wet and the moss made one slot too slippery to climb. We were turning around and I was trying to push back and rock up against the slot to get is turned around without getting off when my concierge walked over, picked my front wheel up off the sand and pulled me around 180. Now that's who I wanna ride the No Whimps Trail with, ha.."

I like that - bike concierges. I had some with me on my recent No Wimps ride. My foot got stuck under my soft side bag and I was laying on my back stuck awkwardly between some boulders which made it tough to get up. I was laying there on my back, gathering my energy to wiggle out when one of the concierges lifted the moto off my foot. Of course, really professional concierges wouldn't have referred to me as "the turtle." :lol3
    ztrab, rnrdozer and princess jamaica like this.
  2. rnrdozer

rnrdozer Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    That didn't come from me Jonz! You ride really well. In fact you held your own with the two young guys. That's wasn't an easy day by any means.
    ztrab likes this.
  3. MKJ

MKJ Married w/ Children

Oddometer:
    Scott's not a bad guy to have around when shit hits the fan. I hope to return the favors one day.
    ztrab likes this.
  4. jonz

jonz Miles are my mantra Supporter

Oddometer:
    CA dez (it's a dry heat)/West Yellowstone,MT
    Good natured kidding is not only expected, it's encouraged. :D
    ztrab likes this.
  5. Strong Bad

Strong Bad Former World's Foremost Authority Supporter

Oddometer:
    Every time this thread comes back to the top, many of us open it up to see what is going on with fuel in Baja and if there have been changes..................................
    kantuckid likes this.
  6. ztrab

ztrab Long timer

Oddometer:
    I get it.
    I'm at my house just south of Puerto Penasco, not technically on the peninsula, it's across the gulf from San Felipe but no gas issues here. I'll be hitting the LH trail from La Rumarosa next week. Sounds like you had a solid crew. I've had a core of riders' riders, of course the cameras come out first then the assist. I'm down to one vet whose been on my last 5 rides and missing Vinny, aka crashmaster, who joined our cast about 5-6 years ago, he scrambled his brain on his mountain bike about 3 months ago and can't ride for a year or more, so I'm taking a few new guys and my one regular. I've ridden with both newbies to my annual February Baja ride that I started about 12 years ago, so it will be all good. As a side note, I went to San Francisquito in 1978 and I got to know the owner, Genero, over the years. It was a unique place. After he died, his family wasn't interested in running the place so they sold it and I watched it slide into oblivion- Genero would be really unhappy about it; it's hard to go there after the 2012 quake. I'll probably never ride the NWT again in my life time but I'm glad some are. Good job fellas.
    jimmex likes this.
  7. princess jamaica

princess jamaica OLD DOG-NEW TRICKS

Oddometer:
    No problems with gas at this time.
    Strong Bad and ztrab like this.
  8. snooker

snooker AttitudeIsEverything

Oddometer:
    Yes please stick to the fuel issues, it is hard to resist the temptation to comment on our favorite Mexico tale. but there are plenty of Mexico and or Baja threads.

So originally wasn't there supposed to be an increase the 1st week in Feb AND the 2nd week, then according the FB Talk Baja thread he posted on Feb. 3 that there will be NO increase at all, then on Feb. 18 it will fluctuate on the open market. So you local guys please translate how you think this will affect the gas station availability situation. Wild guesses are allowed.

p.s. This link on Road Conditions across Baja seems up to date.
    Strong Bad likes this.
  9. Phlyn' Phil

Phlyn' Phil Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well, this is happening in Zacatecas right now, large protest near the cathedral just outside my hotel. I think they want there gas for free or something, can't translate it though

Attached Files:

10. rnrdozer

Oddometer:
    Just another update we made it to Cabo yesterday and didn't have any problems anywhere with fuel. We even got gas in PSF, up at the old mill in laguna Hanson, Gonzaga, BofLA. On another not I haven't seen anyone treating Americans different either. fears from some of my family and friends about he Trump presidency and backlash to Americans hasn't happened. All is good down here!!
  11. tilliejacques

tilliejacques Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Coming from Guerrero Negro toward San Ignacio yesterday, a building had this graffiti: "Make America Mexico Again". :lol3

No gas problems in San Felipe, San Matias (barrel), San Quintin, Catavina (barrel), Guerrero Negro. One Pemex in SQ didn't have gas but others did.
    Strong Bad and Rhode trip like this.
  12. jimmex

jimmex Guero con moto Supporter

Oddometer:
    Is he able to fly? Hoping for full and quick recovery.
  13. ztrab

ztrab Long timer

Oddometer:
    nope = grounded too. Off to Tecate, lots of gas so far. :-)
    jimmex likes this.
  14. kantuckid

kantuckid Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not to "go political" & ruin this thread but it is true fact that Trump has not increased the deportation of anyone so far, actually many less than Obama for this short time.
    Mexican people are smart as any here, there, anywhere and know full well the political winds never stop blowing on either side of that border. I remain hopeful that realistic immigration policies will come about, thus make it possible for our immigrant workers to gain access to jobs that go unfilled here in USA w/o resorting to negative ways to enter & return home to Mexico. The workers and our employers deserve that. Too much hoopla recently about that whole situation.
    Mini-rant now over...:-)
  15. ztrab

ztrab Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think the gas crisis has moved on as to availability for now notwithstanding any pricing issues. I have not seen or heard anything from the La Rumarosa to Camalu.
  16. ztrab

ztrab Long timer

Oddometer:
    Gas is not a problem on or off road as far as Loreto FWIW
  17. rnrdozer

Oddometer:
    Regardless of reality the media has managed to brew this thing up to further push their agenda. Most people subscribe to whatever news source aligns with their political views and critical thinking is lost. Even though the people of Mexico as a whole know it's our government and not us as individuals I wouldn't go down wearing your make America great again hat. What they see is the threat of a Great Wall, the threat of mass deportation, and lost jobs from businesses staying in the US. It doesn't matter what's right or wrong it's how they perceive it.
    ScotsFire likes this.
  18. randingo

randingo Voted "Class Lounger"

Oddometer:
    Just went to Cabo and back and there were zero issues with fuel........and....all the locals were VERY friendly and helpful.....more so than up here in the States
  19. snooker

snooker AttitudeIsEverything

Oddometer:
    C'mon it's a FUEL CRISIS THREAD. Keep eveything else somewhere else people!!!!
    Dan Diego and Motomantra like this.
  20. BigDogAdventures

BigDogAdventures Fart Letter

Oddometer:
    Just came out of Baja-----------spent about 3 weeks down there and covered a lot of ground from North to South.
    It would take me an hour to tell you where all we went..

But there was no fuel crisis.
    DSCF5700.JPG

DSCF5750.JPG

DSCF2260.JPG