Mexico Fuel crisis Baja area

Discussion in 'Americas' started by rnrdozer, Jan 10, 2017.

1. ScotsFire

ScotsFire And then a drifter rode into town...

Oddometer:
    Here and there... but more there than here
    Damn. I missed Big Dog.

Just got to Baja today and saw a couple of gasoline tankers out delivering.
  2. snooker

snooker AttitudeIsEverything

Oddometer:
    Yeah I was watching today's (Saturday's) (national) NBC Nightly News and they had a full story on the gasolinazo and it showed that video from January where that yellow pickup rammed the Federalis(?) guarding the Pemex distribution center in Rosarito (as I understood it back then). It was a fairly complete story actually, saying "constant protest for 6 weeks in a row". Basically they just finally decided to report on it I guess. I don't see anything really new on the Talk Baja FB page.

Big Dog, ain't retirement great? (I assume, you look my age!! :rofl). I'm headed for 5 weeks thru Baja and my first time in Copper, ending in San Flippy for the 250. WooHoo! Going solo so super big adventure for this grandpa!
    rnrdozer, Rhode trip and ScotsFire like this.
  3. kantuckid

kantuckid Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeh, we saw that so called "report" here in Katchner State Park, near Benson,AZ as we are only getting NBC on our RV air antenna. When one travels around the USA or even within smaller geographic areas it's easy to see that gas prices are putting the screws to US, not just the Mexicans.
    In my area of KY it's typical to pay 10-15 cents a gallon more than only a few miles down I-75 near the TN line. That's enough to have a marked impact on the working folk who drive very far to work.
    Given the Pemex reality I suppose they have a more focused beef in Mexico. Here in USA the gas scalping gets a few sparsely made politicians attention mostly when it's higher than now or when they get a few complaints. Commonly seen in the USA is people paying 10 cents or more per gallon for same gas they could buy across the very road they are on. I say vote with your head on straight and make it known that price matters.
  4. Strong Bad

Strong Bad Former World's Foremost Authority Supporter

Oddometer:
    Not sure why but my buddy who owns the Cowabunga Bar Grill & Bungalows in San Juanico just post this on face book:

"Anyone traveling on motorcycles or RZRS be sure you carry extra gas, there is No gas in San Juanico, purisima, Las barrancas pretty much all of Comandu. Also fill your vehicles before heading over, thanks"
  5. MJS

MJS Long timer

Oddometer:
    The Federales (sp?) have closed a number of "independent" gasoline re-sellers as they are un-licensed business that do not report taxes. Gas is reportedly still available in Catavina and at the BoLA turn-off. But I would be wary of being sure you could get gas at some of the barrel retailers. Which could be problematic in a vehicle without sufficient range to get from Pemex to Pemex.
  6. snooker

snooker AttitudeIsEverything

Oddometer:
    I was just in San Juanico at Cowabunga Sat and Sun night. To expand on this, Pemex is not an issue but I heard the truckers who deliver barrel gas to all the small towns don't have the proper AND EXPENSIVE permits to transport fuel so if the Federalis stop them they now will confiscate their fuel, which they can no way afford so they are not risking it.
    The locals like fishermen are in a jam and need to keep what they have. I've heard speculation as to why the government is doing this but I won't comment.

Places like the BoLA barrel man might be different as he probably drives his pickup to Pemex and back to the junction as needed. He had gas last Friday but this is all recent news.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk
  7. ScotsFire

ScotsFire And then a drifter rode into town...

Oddometer:
    Here and there... but more there than here
    I saw several barrel gas spots open in the last couple of weeks, including one I bought some at Catavina today.

Mike at Cowabunga said that not just the transports had been confiscated, but all the tanks and pumps in San Juanito.
  8. stormdog

stormdog Long timer

Oddometer:
    I am heading that way next month, and if I understand correctly you are saying that not to expect any gas in San Juanico at all?
    That means I will need to have enough fuel to get from San Ignacio to Insurgance.
  9. Strong Bad

Oddometer:
    Yes that is correct, expect no fuel in San Juanico. You need to be able to get from San Ignacio to Insurgentes.
    ScotsFire likes this.
  10. Motomantra

Motomantra Registered Lurker

Oddometer:
    Is there a Pemex on 1 in Mulege? It shows on google maps, but...
  11. CaptUglyDan

CaptUglyDan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    yes theres one in town and south of town on mex 1
  12. jonz

jonz Miles are my mantra Supporter

Oddometer:
    CA dez (it's a dry heat)/West Yellowstone,MT
    In the past, I've been able to buy some barrel gas in El Datil but with this change, maybe that's not available anymore.
  13. MJS

MJS Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's Baja and the situation is already changing. Gov of BCS has asked the Feds to stop the crackdown in areas without viable options (Pemex) as it is affecting tourism and the ability of locals to drive, fish, etc.
    ScotsFire likes this.
  14. Strong Bad

Oddometer:
    Mike at Cowabunga in San Juanico just reported on FB tonight (7pm pst) that there is gas in San Juanico again.
    tilliejacques and ScotsFire like this.
  15. Dan Diego

Dan Diego Long timer

Oddometer:
    Your first point is not true at all. Don't ask me how I know.

I agree with your second point, that sensible policies are needed... but the sheer amount of fraud in the '86 amnesty left a bad taste in immigration officers' mouths.

It's doubtful that any temporary agricultural worker program with a path to citizenship will happen. But a modern bracero program can be sold to just about anyone, so I could see that happening.
  16. kantuckid

kantuckid Long timer

Oddometer:
    Obviously you know and are correct.
    I'd enjoy your take on the issues but this is the wrong place to pursue that, so I'll stop. Thanks
    Strong Bad likes this.