Mexico on the cruiser . Is it possible ?

Discussion in 'Americas' started by lukasteam, Mar 6, 2019.

1. SkizzMan

SkizzMan Me caigo, me levanto

Oddometer:
    Consider checking Airbnb for places to stay. I’ve found some really good places that way.
  2. pceire32

pceire32 Irish Supporter

Oddometer:
    You will have no trouble on your cruiser, in Mexico the lanes are narrower so you have to step up your awareness more and watch out for topes. As stated earlier post, dump the camping gear hotels are cheap. Sjoerd Bakker ( who posted earlier) beside giving us great ongoing free advice on Mexico also puts out a little book of all the cheap and motorcycle friendly hotels in Mexico he mails it from Canada for about $40 pm him for details, it will save you that in the first week in Mexico. Baja Bound & Adventure Mexican Insurance are two Insurance sites used a lot on this site. They offer two levels of insurance buy the higher level for $2 or $3 a day more you get a lot more good coverage. Compare the daily rate to the six month rate depending on the number of days you will be there a six month policy may save you money. :-)
    lukasteam likes this.
  3. severely

severely almost a noob

Oddometer:
    Road hazards are but one thing to worry about, most robberies occur after dark, thing is you can't see any of the beautiful scenery. Also forget the TVIP online, it can bring about unanticipated problems. Get the insurance before crossing and handle the paperwork as you cross AND depart. Crossing at Laredo you might like the Hotel Urdanola in Saltillo, clean, secure and good access to restaurants. Ride safely.
    jimmex and SkizzMan like this.
  4. SkizzMan

Oddometer:
    +1 Hotel Urdanola
  5. kantuckid

kantuckid Long timer

Oddometer:
    Google gets you lots of choices for "mexican motorcycle insurance" Compare!
    Copy ALL of your important papers into your email acct where they can be pulled up.
    Slow (as in "creep over them") is the tope technique. Diagonal like said above is a no no. Look you bike over before you buy a bash plate and decide how it goes over a tope like bump-should be some nearby in a parking lot? Decide whats gonna hit?
    Mexican Night = drunks, animals, road hazards as already mentioned and potential for thieves plus why would you travel in Mexico in the dark as you are there to enjoy the country in the first place? Why even discuss this?
    Kind of like riding a train through the rockies at night?
    You will pay extra for insurance at the border, plus it wastes your trip time too!
    knight and lukasteam like this.
  6. szurszewski

szurszewski Long timer

Oddometer:
    Zacatecas!

We happened to stay there because it was on our way from someplace to someplace else - got there about dinner time and walked around a bit and decided to spend the next day there. We had a great time!

We knew nothing about it going in - you probably already know more than we do - but a quick google in our hotel (Hotel Gracia - we'd stay there again, but it's not for everyone so I don't know that I'd recommend it to you) and I found that they have a Camera Obscura. There is a short list of places in the world that have those in a large format, so I was immensely excited.
    GOPR1962.jpg

That's us standing just outside the Camera Obscura - it's on one of the two hills that Zacatecas is sort of nestled in the valley of. But, even the valley is at eight thousand feet (so pace yourself!). There's a cable car that runs between the hills, but it was under renovation in 2017, so we walked up one (found out it was under renovation when we got to the top) hill, and then walked back down and all the way up the other. Yikes.

Here's the boy pointing at where we were standing in the pic above.

GOPR1965.jpg

(had to walk 1/2 way back up the first hill to get that pic!)

Of the other places on your list I don't know much, but our friend who retired to Mexico ten years ago and has moved around to sample various parts of the country was just in San Luis Potosi for the first time and says it may be his new favorite Mexican city...

Oh - weird PS: I just noticed your location in Naperville. My cousin works for your city - I think she might currently be the HR director or something like that. :)
    Animo, lukasteam and kantuckid like this.
  7. lukasteam

lukasteam Life is beautiful !!! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thank you guys . Urdanola looks very good !!! Do they have secure parking for the motorcycles ?
  8. Sjoerd Bakker

Sjoerd Bakker Long timer

Oddometer:
    As kantuckid already explained there are really only a small number of actual insurance companies registered as Mexican corporations (a strict requirement for insurance in Mexico) who operate the actual insurance . The sales point can be operated by any number of sellers in either country who get approved , be they in small storefront operations in the US border towns or online . They also have their reps selling insurance inside the actual MEXICAN border terminal buildings where they pay rent for their small offices.
    Buying it online lets you compare the various offerings , talking about third party liability cover here . . Their policies will provide basically the same features - liability, legal aid, bail,roadside assistance and the level of payout minimum should all be the same . If you want more potential return , or full boat , all risk, fire theft etc. you can elect a higher purchase price . Payout levels may not be as high as what your US policies might suggest as familiar , but that should not worry you Mexican law is based on the Napoleontic Code , presumed guilty until proven otherwise bla bla bla etc >The culture is not as sue-happy as the USA where the merest disagreement calls for getting lawyers and throwing up lawsuits for billion dollar claims . Ergo prices are being kept at sane reasonable levels for insurance .
    If buying in the US there will be an added policy service fee , for the office work that they did ( 2 minutes ? :D) This will be the same whether you buy insurance for ONE day , one month or for a year . If you are going into Mexico for only three weeks you are sitting on the edge of benefiting from buying a longer term policy.
    Old stuff here , but new to you probably. There is a choice to be made between a regular TRIP insurance policy which will be made out under YOUR NAME and a DRIVERS LICENSE INSURANCE POLICY .

TRIP insurance is made out showing your name and your BIKE VIN and particulars while the cost is calculated on a per day basis .A sliding scale cost reduces the daily price as the number of days is raised .ADD POLICY FEES .Three weeks might cost several hundred dollars .It is only of use for that one bike, during the days you paid for.

You MUST ASK for this DL type of insurance, it makes less money for the broker so they may not blurt out news of its existence voluntarily .
    The DRIVERS LICENSE INSURANCE policy will be made out showing YOUR NAME and the NUMBER of your DL and it will be valid for a longer period - some will set six month minimum, others go for one year . The cost will be MUCH less than a similar length TRIP policy. A wonderful feature of these DL policies is that you are allowed to drive /ride whatever vehicle you choose should you decide to return to Mexico several times during the life of the policy. Your job is to calculate the cost difference it will make to your particular planned ride .

With a plan for three weeks - which is really tight for a round -trip and relaxing ride to and through Oaxaca , my opinion - you are sitting on the edge for deciding if the DL policy makes sense .
    Some DL policies are sold for under $100US . I have been renewing my ANNUAL DL policy for about ten years , at $150US per annum and I do several visits to Mexico in each year using different bikes and a car . I can ride into Mexico anytime , anywhere and have no need to stop at an insurance office or to buy a new policy for each entry .
    I firs found out about DL insurance more than ten years ago when I stopped at the MexUs Insurance office in Calexico, CA, and since then Ive been renewing annually over the internet , instantly. They sell for GNP SEGUROS , one of the big Mexican insurance companies.
    Never had a reason to make a claim so I am blank on that outcome , but it is a well established and professional company , a matter of trust as in all of life .

Getting insurance online and well before depart date will releave your mind of worry and confusion at the actual border town .

Until now I didn't see your updating post with a proposed shorter route, and then only as the quote in Szurszewski's post (?howcum ?)
    Your short list of route towns suggests excessive " destination orientation" you picked a number of big old cities strung together.
    And going " to hit the west coast and follow the shoreline up north " ("sea of Cortez Shoreline" in first post , ) is technically impossible and a misunderstanding of what the maps seem to show.
    From Tepic north the highway Mex 15 Libre will always be far inland with only an occasional glimpse of the water . For actual seaside visits you need to make side trips , fun but time consuming . Also depending on the month of your trip the Mex 15 route can get consistently quite warm . I love warm like that , but I gather there are many who seem to think otherwise.

To fill three weeks of summertime riding you might be happier to buzz down to the border quickly , then in Mexico cut down to the Mexican pace and from Laredo follow Mex 85 all the way south to Mex 45.Mex 85 in its varied and fantastic scenery will thrill and awe you as the Mexico noob. At Mex 45 turn west "do "Queretaro, maybe pop up to SMA which is getting to be nearly a suburb , then down to Morelia ,Patzcuaro,Quiroga ,Mazamitla, the shores of Lake Chapala,Gudalajara and then begin heading north again to either Zacatecas or San Luis Potosi , or if you still have time do ZAC ZAC and SLP SLP . At that point I'm sure you will need to head back up to Saltillo and make your way back to the US via Piedras Negras.

At ANY time , if you find your days allotted to Mexico are down to 3 you can get on Mex 57 or Mex 54 and make a desperate run to the border from the Bajio.
    Hotels and motels are abundant sop in and ask if they have enclosed ,secure parking and if not go to another .Hablas Espanol ?
  9. lukasteam

Oddometer:
    Cool thing about your cousin , it's a small world isn't it :-) ? I'll definitely check out Camara Obscura and thanks for the hotel tip !!!
    szurszewski likes this.
  10. lukasteam

Oddometer:
    Sjoerd Bakker - that's some great info !!! Thank you !!! I think I'll go with DL insurance , it makes more sense if I want to come back for any reason , go in and out the country with or without my bike , just makes sense .
  11. SkizzMan

Oddometer:
    Yes. Just drive into the parking garage left of the entrance. Ask where to park. Free with room.

B26ABB67-1415-4C5D-929B-62462856BA5E.png
    lukasteam likes this.
  12. lukasteam

Oddometer:
    Guy's don't be shy with Hotel recommendations . I am really a simple guy , it doesn't take much to make me happy . A bed to rest my head after a long day in the saddle a good meal ( it could be from the road side stand -m these a lot of times come to be the best , I hear) a secure parking for my steed and a shower ( it can be cold , I'm a "health nut" so I take them time to time anyway) that's all I need . It's all about the simplicity and experience for me , more out of the "box" the better . I think thats whats adventuring is all about stepping out of your matrix with all your senses open and inhaling new cultures , way of life , surroundings etc.
    SkizzMan likes this.
  13. SkizzMan

Oddometer:
    @Sjoerd Bakker

Im told the DL insurance policies only provide Amparo and liability. What coverage does your policy provide?

Thanks!
  14. Sjoerd Bakker

Sjoerd Bakker Long timer

Oddometer:
    It covers for ;
    " Civil liability to third parties (Excluding occupants of the vehicle ) " [ --------meaning Me]
    "Liability for damages to third parties in: property and bodily injury "
    "Legal assistance & guaranteed bail bond "
    quoted as per my slip carried with my DL

What IS """AMPARO"" as explained in the ingleesh , por favor :-)

(" amper" in Dutch means " scarcely, , a little" )
  15. SkizzMan

Oddometer:
    Amparo is the legal assistance and bail bond. My broker (MexAdventure) tells me all major policies include this. My next policy update will likely be DL but I’ll miss having full coverage and medevac.
  16. Sjoerd Bakker

Sjoerd Bakker Long timer

Oddometer:
    I always carry CAA supplied out -of -country medical insurance which has the provisions for emergency evacuation for medical reasons .Annual policy with CAA / AAA membership gets me multiple trips of maximum 30 days EACH in an year . Longer trips require a reasonable top-up payment for days beyond 30
    Same idea as the Medevac , probably the exact same folks running t$at aspect .
    It protects against the possibility of that $ 30000 US airlift or the $200000 US hospital visit for a busted bone or retained fart .
    SkizzMan and lukasteam like this.
  17. lukasteam

Oddometer:
    How does CAA/AAA compare to MedJet ???
  18. cwc

cwc . Supporter

Oddometer:
    I think I'll look into that too, but I won't miss the medevac given my experience last fall where Chubb from Mexadventure couldn't supply an ambulance from the site of the injury to the hospital and wouldn't pay for a ticket to get my SO home because she wasn't injured in a bike accident.:(
  19. severely

severely almost a noob

Oddometer:
    Yes, notice I used the word secure when describing it. They have a 24/7 guard at all times.
    lukasteam likes this.
  20. Sjoerd Bakker

Sjoerd Bakker Long timer

Oddometer:
    """How does CAA/AAA compare to MedJet ???"""

I have no idea, never touched the Medjet nor investigated it . I'll check my billing from the renewal and find some prices

Back again; took a quick peek at the Medjet site , a quote done quickly turns out to be pricey for my age , a one year membership , ONE (?) 90 day trip max $444US to haul my butt back home from an serious hospitalizing problem . ?