Mexico on the cruiser . Is it possible ?

Discussion in 'Americas' started by lukasteam, Mar 6, 2019.

1. cwc

cwc . Supporter

Oddometer:
    Medjet will only transport you from a hospital to a hospital. They don't deal with your hospital bill on either end. They will transport your bike home if you are unable to ride it.
    If you are younger than Sjoerd and I and you are a member of AMA or AARP you can get Medjet for one person as well as the bike return for well under US$300. I used it last year and the value of their service exceeded my total lifetime payments to them.
    SkizzMan and lukasteam like this.
  2. lukasteam

lukasteam Life is beautiful !!! Supporter

Oddometer:
    [QUOTE="Sjoerd Bakker, post: 37151150, member: 81786"

To fill three weeks of summertime riding you might be happier to buzz down to the border quickly , then in Mexico cut down to the Mexican pace and from Laredo follow Mex 85 all the way south to Mex 45.Mex 85 in its varied and fantastic scenery will thrill and awe you as the Mexico noob. At Mex 45 turn west "do "Queretaro, maybe pop up to SMA which is getting to be nearly a suburb , then down to Morelia ,Patzcuaro,Quiroga ,Mazamitla, the shores of Lake Chapala,Gudalajara and then begin heading north again to either Zacatecas or San Luis Potosi , or if you still have time do ZAC ZAC and SLP SLP . At that point I'm sure you will need to head back up to Saltillo and make your way back to the US via Piedras Negras.

At ANY time , if you find your days allotted to Mexico are down to 3 you can get on Mex 57 or Mex 54 and make a desperate run to the border from the Bajio.
    Hotels and motels are abundant sop in and ask if they have enclosed ,secure parking and if not go to another .Hablas Espanol ?[/QUOTE]
    Thank you Sjoerd !!! This info is priceless to me !!! Like you said I'm a complete Mexico noob and my points of interest ( big old Cities) might be contradicting what I want from the trip .I just picked them readig other adv'ers ride reports and what they liked . Now I understand , that for me , smaller towns that you recommended fit my bill so much better . Thats exactly hat I want from this trip . Laid back Mexican pace , peaceful cruising and to smell the flowers . I'm looking up everything you recommended right now . Your experience and knowledge is so helpful you have no idea . KEEP IT COMING !!!
    Any tips if I want to make a quick run to Sea of Crtez maybe from lake Chapala just to dip my feet and spend a day at the Sea .
    My Espaniol is almost non existent , but Im not shy . I speak 5 languages , but unfortunately Spanish is not one of them , Im working on it though :-)
  3. szurszewski

szurszewski Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you want small but old and good mix of laid back and touristy, and if you have a drinking “solution” like mine, you might want to check out Tequila. The town. I mean, also the beverage, but primarily the town :)
    Cal and lukasteam like this.
  4. lukasteam

Oddometer:
    I love laid back , touristy is not my thing . I actually prefer to be the only gringo wherever I go , but I'll check out Tequila . Thanks szurszewski .
    pceire32 likes this.
  5. jonz

jonz Miles are my mantra Supporter

Oddometer:
    CA dez (it's a dry heat)/West Yellowstone,MT
    I enjoyed spending an extra day in Tequila on my trip last year. A friend turned me on to a tour of the Forteleza distillery which gives you the whole tequila process from growing the agave to bottling the tequila. Just happens to be my favorite as well. They don't do tours every day so it's best to contact them ahead of time to see if your schedule meshes with theirs.

http://tequilafortaleza.com/contact/

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  6. szurszewski

szurszewski Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yep - all about Los Abuelos anjeo. :)
    jonz likes this.
  7. Sjoerd Bakker

Sjoerd Bakker Long timer

Oddometer:
    Unfold your road map of Mexico - the big picture - and you will see that the Sea of Cortez is way off there in the northwest corner , and to reach any road to its waters' edge is going to be adding days to your ride, days you cannot spare in three weeks .It is as far west as Arizona . Save it for another ride .
    Your best option for getting salty wet feet in the sea is to settle for a point on the Pacific - same water -. That is closest to your trip's projected south -extent if you go west from Guadalajara (GDL). If you have had enough of the Bajio scenery you might make that work for you by from GDL taking Mex 15 north to as far as Mex 40 . That is straight south of El Paso, TX
    In the north part of that Mex 15 the ocean is the closest but you still need to ride out 20 to 30km to touch it because much of the coast has lagoons and barrier islands. At ROSARIO ,SIN you can do a loop ride, pavement to Caimanero and north along the coast and back to Mex 15 at VILLA UNION which is at the junction of Mex 40 LIBRE ( stay off the toll 40 for this trip ) which will take you up the fantastic ride across the Espinazo and to DURANGO from where the 40 will take you across the altiplano and deserts to TORREON and SALTILLO . Mex 40 among the Espinazo has lots of curves and scenery and smoooooth pavement , your bike will float on it with ease .
    At Torreon you could also decide to take Mex 30 to the northeast, through Cuatrocienegas, desert ,( rocky landscape and 190km with no gas station, if you have the fuel tank range ,) then Mex 57 to the border at Piedras Negras/Eagle Pass
    SkizzMan, lukasteam and pceire32 like this.
  8. lukasteam

Oddometer:
    Sjoerd , you awesome !!! So you basically outlined the trip for me . Kinda what I had in mind , but since being completely green in this Mexico thing I needed some strong guidance and you like God sent !!!
    So I'll do like you said Laredo to Saltillo - spend the night there after the border crossing , hop back on Mex85 and head South to Mex45 . Any good stops on that section would be greatly appreciated . Is Mexico City worth stopping by and spending couple days there or should I pass it by ?
    Mex45 to Mex 15D , any recomendations for the peacefull , quiet , cultural towns/villages on the coast to visit ??? Accesible with my heavy cruiser ...
    Another qestion is from 15D to Durango I should take Mex40 and not 40D right ???
  9. kantuckid

kantuckid Long timer

Oddometer:
    Good luck being the "only gringo in neat spots" :rofl
    knight and SkizzMan like this.
  10. kantuckid

kantuckid Long timer

Oddometer:
    Canadian insurance for riders from IL?:lol2
  11. Sjoerd Bakker

Sjoerd Bakker Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nope , he obviously would be dealing with AAA , which I was implying .
    They are basically the same corporation with divisions in both countries serving similar products .
    CAA road maps are the same item in both countries .If I make a call for roadside assistance while in the USA the AAA supplies the service . Similarly AAA members get that service in Canada from CAA approved tow trucks .
    kantuckid and SkizzMan like this.
  12. Sjoerd Bakker

Sjoerd Bakker Long timer

Oddometer:
    Whooa Whoa ,backup thar a bit !
    I did not say to go ...
    {{ ... Laredo to Saltillo - spend the night there after the border crossing , hop back on Mex85 and head South to Mex45 {{

You need to look closer at the map, you are mixing up your road numbers and city names . Careful if you program THAT into your route computers .
    I think you looked crooked and put in Saltillo when you meant Monterrey. Pay attention with that sort of stuff. Mex 57 And Mex 40 and Mex 54 pass through Saltillo, Mex 85 connects the border to Monterrey and all sorts of good country south to Mex 45 and beyond .

Mex 85 has lots of interesting stuff and stops , so what are YOUR interests. You could be indifferent and say there is nothing to see and race though it all .Dont .
    some ideas '
    .... Monterrey city center tour , then into the $$$$$$$$$$$ southern suburb of San Pedro and UP the MOUNTAINSIDE as far as Olinala and the Chipinque National Park area , That should impress you with all the Ferrari , Lamborghini,BMW etc and the vista over the city
    ... Santiago , a Pueblo Magico
    ...Cola de Caballo waterfalls
    ... the roadside scenery at every point
    ...each town ought to be given a short visit downtown,each has a different expression , stop for anything that strikes your interest, buy some oranges and enjoy.
    ...Cd Victoria do the loop through downtown then out southwest corner onto Mex 101 , the OLD high route up and over the mountain and then use the new low route Tam 126 to go back east to Mex 85 along the south side of that mountain
    ... there are many other potential side trips which could eat up most of your days so not going to mention any .Stick to what is along the road and come back later
    ...Cd Valles to Tamazunchale .. the road !
    ... Tamaz south , catch your breath .. THE ROAD ,THE MOUNTAINS
    ... loop through Zimapan
    ....Mex 45 west high country farmland and cactus country
    ...Queretaro , city center tour , the aqueduct and parks .
    ...Morelia.Patzcuaro, Guanajuato , etc etc ,Tepic,
    .. sidetrip of a few hours off Mex 15 to Mexcaltitan

It is an embarrassment of riches , you need to decide what to visit , what to leave for a later trip

Skip the idea of visiting Mexico City this trip. It is out of the way , so to speak, as your round trip is headed clockwise and the DF is sitting way out there to the southeast as an appendix that would take days to remove . Three days out of three weeks is a lot .
    You could easily use up your entire time and not get farther than something like Tamazunchale ....just where some more seriously fun stuff starts
    And at what hour are you CERTAIN that you will be crossing the border to be able to say with confidence today that you will get to Monterrey or any place for the night QUESTIONMARK
    Dont make a schedule of date and time when you will visit X Y and R , you cannot know that at this time. Trying to stick to such a plan will make you crazy

Remember NO RIDING THE HIGHWAY AT NIGHT IN MEXICO . In the tropics you will not have long lingering twilight neither in the evenings nor in the mornings so dont expect to ride late like in Illlinois ,

Your Question¨¨Another qestion is from 15D to Durango I should take Mex40 and not 40D right ???¨¨¨
    huh :hmmmmm Look at Map again :lol3
    15 D runs up the west coastal plain ,. That Toll Road avoids running through any towns , it goes around them . It would be okay ,I guess , if you are trying to be hasty
    but that makes you miss all the historic little towns you say you want to see.
    The recommendation to take the 40 LIBRE from Mex 15 LIBRE is to get you to experience the THOUSANDS of curves and the smooth pavement of that two Lane highway as it climbs up the mountains toward Durango . The 40D TOLL road uses a different route and is also scenic but the curves are fewer and less fun .

PS: I am working from the premise that the three weeks are actually in Mexico and the ride to and from the border are added days. If that is the total time of the entire trip you are even on a tighter time budget . Might call for more trimming .
    Halen, lukasteam, knight and 3 others like this.
  13. SkizzMan

SkizzMan Me caigo, me levanto

Oddometer:
    Great stuff, Sjoerd
  14. lukasteam

Oddometer:
    Thank you Sjoerd . Yes , I was looking at RandMcnally maps first that have absolutely no detail . I just got Guia-Roji por las carreteras Mexico , so now the real trip planning starts .
    Great tips from you as always . It's really hard to pack everything I want to see and do into one trip like this . Three weeks all together that means getting to the border from Chicago , so losing two days there . I guess , I'll just have a route laid out take my time and breath . I'll do some more research on my stops . I decided that mostly I'd like to visit Pueblas Magicas and maybe splash in some waterfalls or hot/mineral spring here and there , dipping my feet in to the ocean at least once wold be nice too . Eat some good food , watch people and when I'm riding enjoy the beautiful scenery and twisties . Like you sugested skipping Mexico City and leaving it for the next trip . I want this one to be a peaceful cruising so to speak .
    Is May still nice weather or should I expect a lot of rain already ?
  15. kantuckid

kantuckid Long timer

Oddometer:
    The designated towns and cities seem to have been chosen politically? as some are a lot more "magical" than others.
    A good comparison to the "magico" idea is the USA paper maps and their designations of "scenic roads" which can be the best of any or not so scenic and in a few cases heavily commercial and flat out ugly by any measure. If a scenic road has more curves and less cities, then I consider it more seriously. I personally enjoy some of the smaller Mexican towns the most but have my favorites in all population sizes.
    If you get a rough route together run it by this thread and you'll garner some suggestions of places to go towards, avoid, etc..
    Halen, SkizzMan and lukasteam like this.
  16. Turkeycreek

Turkeycreek Gringo Viejo

Oddometer:
    Politics in choosing Pueblos Magicos? I could tell you stories
  17. Sjoerd Bakker

Sjoerd Bakker Long timer

Oddometer:
    May is fine , the real rainy season kicks in later . You can expect to have some rain showers here and there. Even in the "dry season"
    Look at your surroundings - if you see cactus it will be a drier climate region than if you see a lot of trees with green leaves .
    Halen and lukasteam like this.
  18. lukasteam

Oddometer:
    I'm all ears :ear, don't be shy :-)...
  19. lukasteam

Oddometer:
    ... thanks everyone for your help and info planing my trip . My trip just ended before it even started . In a hospital in Oklahoma with the broken collar bone and bruised lung , bike totaled , with no idea how I'm gonna get back to Chicago once they , release me in couple hours in a sling and on pain meds . Have to pick up my personal belongings from the tow company too ...
    This whole situation sucks ...
  20. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
    well that sucks, I know all about broken collar bones! Care to elaborate?