Mexico "Powerhouse" dealers....

Discussion in 'Latin America' started by John Ashman, Jun 12, 2015.

1. John Ashman

John Ashman Adventurer Wannabe

Oddometer:
    There finally might be a paradigm shift in Mexico, as they're signaling that there will actually be dealers that sell more than pizza delivery bikes. Anyone who's seen their website knows this is not much of an exaggeration. CRF 230, CBR250, XR250, the very best bikes they sell.

Anyone have any inside info? Not sure if they're going to bring everything, or just the Brazilian bikes, or just the American bikes or what.
    larryboy likes this.
  2. John Ashman

Oddometer:
    It will almost certainly be helpful for people that need parts. Maybe.
    larryboy likes this.
  3. pax maac

pax maac Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I don't know what you're talking about but I'm interested. What's a "Powerhouse" dealer?

Edit- Are there rumors that Honda's gonna bring a better selection of bikes? I hadn't heard but would be thrilled.
  4. Tricepilot

Tricepilot Bailando Con Las Estrellas Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    So, re "Powerhouse" dealers, you're talking about motorcycles and pot?

:augie
  5. GSAragazzi

GSAragazzi Long timer

Oddometer:
    What do you mean powerhouse and whats up w the comment of pizza delivery type bikes as the only type available?
    Everytime I go to Mexico I see tons of GS, Ducati and V Stroms among a sea of Harleys. And every weekend there's a parade of 1000cc bikes going from DF to Cuernavaca/Tepoztlan.
    Are you referring to a dealership that may carry two or three different brands under one roof? Bc you can buy pretty much any bike in Mexico if you have the coin.
  6. John Ashman

Oddometer:
    They're claiming that "Powerhouse" dealers would carry the entire line of bikes, but I dont' know if that means "all" or just those that they bring in, which could be the American line, the Brazilian line, the European line, or some unique mix.

They did say that the NC750X would be in, so I'm making a guess that it is based mainly on what is in Brazil, because they manufacture a huge swath of Honda's motorcycles.

Anyone who thinks you can get pretty much any Honda motorcycle in Mexico clearly hasn't been to their website. It is the weakest lineup of all Japanese manufacturers by far. I don't think they have a single bike over 250cc at the moment. It's pathetic.

Most any Honda you've seen in Mexico over 250cc is an American bike that was imported, which is expensive, but relatively easy, hardly any restrictions, as long as you pay the piper.
    larryboy likes this.
  7. pax maac

Oddometer:
    Not exactly true. There are many models of many brands that are sold in other countries that are simply not available to us here. Take a look at Honda.com.mx and look at the motorcycles they sell here. You can't just go to a dealer and say I want a VTX 1300R and they'll order it for you. If Honda Mexico decided not to sell the VTX 1300R in Mexico, then you can't get one. Period. Unless it's used and has been imported from the US. But new, nope.

Here's an example for you. I was looking at Mazda's to buy a car. The car I wanted is sold in 5 different trim levels in the US, all available with either manual or automatic transmission. In Mexico they only offer the top trim level with an auto trans. I said "I will buy a new one from you today, but I want a manual trans". They said no. Mazda Mexico does not offer that option. I said if I came in with cash could you get me one of those cars. There are tons of them in the US, just get me one here. Nope. No no no. Impossible.

It's the same with the bikes. BMW, Ducati, HD, some other high end brands do offer their full lineup here. The Japanese brands do not. Not even close. Honda sells 11 different models of motorcycles in Mexico, not including scooters. If you want a new bike, those are your options.

Oddly enough, you can get a Yamaha 660 Tenere here and not in the US. That is a rare exception though.
  8. John Ashman

Oddometer:
    Yes. The weird thing about Mexico is that poor Mexicans never say "no" and rich Mexicans never say "yes". "Whatever you want" versus "My way or the highway".

Gross generalization, but some successfull Mexican businesses are so obnoxious and so bad at customer service, you wonder how they even stay afloat, let alone be successful.

I was even starting to think that maybe I should break down and buy the 20 year old NX4 Falcon as an all around bike, and then a few days ago, it simply disappeared and I was thinking "You've got to be KIDDING me!"

Yamaha does have a decent selection, more or less, at least having the FZs and even the new F)09 and the 660s is all their piggish glory.
    larryboy likes this.
  9. John Ashman

Oddometer:
    This is looking good., They're uncrating a VFR, a CrossRunner and a CrossTourer, so it must be fairly serious. The first Powerhouse dealer opens in Guadalajara on the 26th.

http://revistamoto.com/wp_rm/?p=14046
    larryboy likes this.
  10. pax maac

Oddometer:
    Wow! And yet nothing on the Honda Mexico website about this, the availability of new models or the existence of powerhouse dealers. Everything's a big secret.

My favorite thing about Mexican businesses is the old "that's the last one I have, I can't sell it until I get more in". What?! If you've never encountered it, you wouldn't believe it was a thing. My friend's wife was having a baby and he went to a department store to buy a stroller. He found the one he wanted and asked the clerk to get it down for him. He was met with that response, last one-can't sell it to you. I've had it happen to me at an auto parts store- last one, if I sold it to you then I wouldn't have any more.
  11. John Ashman

Oddometer:
    Hahahaha. I went in for a part at the hardware store and the guy looked at me and says "doesn't exist" and I said "you mean here, because I've used them all the time, do you know where I can find it?" and he looked at me again and said "IT DOESN'T EXIST". Alrighty!

My wife is Mexican and she always says "Honey, we don't have customer service here, get over it" Plus she kids me a lot with the "no existe" line. "Maybe we should get...." "No existe". "What, but...." "No existe!!!" :rofl

I'm going to guess that the prices on these new bikes are going to be pretty high and it's going to be straight retail plus all the applicable upcharges, but we'll see. I could certainly use an NC750X for cruising the peninsula. The question is going to be where they source the bikes. If you look at the Brasilian page, they apparently build the NC750s and CB500s and a few others, so that could mean decent pricing, not too far out of line with the US. For instance, the CRF230 is only about $4000 at today's exchange rates, even including 16% IVA, basically the same as the US without any taxes. That could mean an NC750X for about $10K and a CB500X for about $8500. Not too bad, I suppose.

They also keep putting up pictures of the XRE300 so that implies Brazilian sourcing. OTOH, the CrossTourer and VFR are not Brazilian models, so we might get more choices than the US and Canada with a bit of luck.
    larryboy likes this.
  12. BikeMex

BikeMex Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I also asked at Honda Mexico if they would sell bigger Dual Sport bikes than XR 250 and Honda Falcon. They denied. I like the Xr 650 but no chance. They sell mostly 'pizza bikes" like said before.
    And I'm very curious about the new Afrika Twin. I had the old one - years ago.

In 2014 they offered the XR 300 already in Nicaragua, but for a very high price.
    If you want something bigger you should go with BMW, like I did at the end, or maybe Yamaha, for example. Honda makes the money with the pizza bikes and ATVs.

Saludos J├╝rgen
  13. dwj - Donnie

dwj - Donnie Long timer

Oddometer:
    North Carrollton, MS - Traveling on the Moto
    Have you checked the prices on those large motos? I was in Monterrey a few months ago. The Kawasaki dealership had most of their large motos priced in US dollars. The $6,500 US KLR 650 was $10,500 US. The $13,000 US Crotch Rocket was $19,995. Mexico has an extremely high import tax on these larger motos. Many other countries down south do as well. Mexico, feels that if you can afford a moto that size, you can pay the extra tax. The same is true for electricity, after a small amount of electricity is used, for example what a small house with a few light bulbs, a TV and maybe a television might use, the rate per kilowatt almost quadruples! Of course, in this case, it is still cheaper than the US. :evil

I have a friend that imported a used Honda XRL650 and a Suzuki DR650. He paid $700 each for a permanent important stickers. The moto has to be at least a certain age before this can be done. Many of the companies, such as Italica, import Chinese parts and assemble them in Mexico to avoid the tax.
  14. pax maac

Oddometer:
    Regarding importing used bikes, the rules are constantly changing. 4 years ago I nationalized a 1995 BMW R1100GS and it cost me about 6,000 pesos. This past December I was looking at importing a 2002 1150GS and was quoted $2,200 USD. The customs agent told me that they have jacked all the fees way up to encourage us to buy in Mexico $2,200 USD for a 13 year old bike that only costs $5,000 USD is ridiculous. I passed and found a used bike in Mexico.
  15. dwj - Donnie

dwj - Donnie Long timer

Oddometer:

The motos that were imported was prior to The Spring of 2012, but I don't know exactly when.
  16. John Ashman

Oddometer:
    This is true, but MotoMex imports from Kawasaki of America, I believe, and then they add a huge markup that makes them virtually unsellable. I have no idea how they sell any bike ever. Honda doesn't do business like that, near as I can tell, and I think they will be importing the bikes themselves, not going through a distributor, which in Mexico is the pits.
    I can't even keep up with the rules (and neither can the people in charge of them), but it may be correct that the prices have gone up because I've gotten quotes of $1000 minimum even on a $500 POS. I just gave up because the importers won't even give you any honest info about how to pick a bike that you can import well. So I just get frustrated because they give you know info on what the fees are, who gets them and why. And the only way to get an idea is to keep giving them different makes, models, years and it's like some guessing game that is exhausting.
    larryboy likes this.
  17. pax maac

Oddometer:
    This, seriously. And you have to give them a VIN number to get a quote. So you find a bike in the flea market here, or on Craigslist, talk to the seller, ask for a VIN and then deal with the customs agent (or multiple agents to see if you can get a decent price) for a quote. And then hope the rules don't change before you're able to get the bike to the border.
  18. dwj - Donnie

dwj - Donnie Long timer

Oddometer:

I have a gringo friend that has lived in Mexico for 36 years. They want between $3,000 and $4,000, I can't remember which he said, to permanently import his new Triump Explorer. That is an $18,000 or so moto. I cannot imagine that Honda is going to somehow, avoid that import tax.
  19. John Ashman

Oddometer:
    They don't avoid it, they avoid the guy that wants $3000-$4000 to do it.
    larryboy likes this.
  20. dwj - Donnie

dwj - Donnie Long timer

Oddometer:
    I will be awaiting the development. :D

They will have to be very aggressive on pricing to put a dent in Italic's 60% or so of the market. I have been considering buying a Mexican Plated small dualsport. In Tapachula, Chiapas, the closest Honda dealer, a 250 like the old XR250 is $66,000 pesos. The Italica 200CC dualsport is less than $24,000 pesos. Now if I were starting an around the world type trip, I would get the Honda because of reliability and dealerships worldwide, But the Italicas have gotten pretty good and for local and no further south than Panama, I would buy the Italica. But, that is just me. :D