Mexico "Powerhouse" dealers....

Discussion in 'Latin America' started by John Ashman, Jun 12, 2015.

1. John Ashman

John Ashman Adventurer Wannabe

Oddometer:
    Actually, Honda sells pretty well around here, and the prices are dirt cheap, about the same or a bit more for the generic low-end bikes. I value my life too much and the heat is to impressive to die from an engine failure in the middle of nowhere. XR250 is a bit pricey for its age, I do agree. But the Italika dual sport isn't even a real dual sport. Its a just a low quality supermoto with early 1970s quality parts.
    larryboy likes this.
  2. pax maac

pax maac Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I wouldn't touch Italika with a ten foot pole. A mechanic friend told me he'd stop talking to me if I bought one, even just for fooling around with. Says they are C R A P. Same with Vento or any other of the Chinese garbage brands.
  3. dwj - Donnie

dwj - Donnie Long timer

Oddometer:
    North Carrollton, MS - Traveling on the Moto
    Italica does a 150 supermoto, but they do a 200 dualsport type moto as well. I have seen many of them, plus there are other brands. I remember the Ventos in the US. The Italicas are way better, but still a cheap moto. The main difference in the Honda and the Italica is the suspension, especially the front. I used to have a Kawasaki KLX250S, that would be a great moto for here!

My girlfriend's nephew is one those guys you see with the coolers on the back of a moto delivering tortillas house to house. He has put 50,000 to 60,000 KMs on these motos. As far as dying because of a moto failure, I find that pretty funny! lol I have put 100,000 miles plus on BMWs and KTMs down here and didn't die, I doubt a Italica is going to kill me. Anyway, I am from Mississippi, it does not get close to as hot here as it does there in June/July/August.

I am not suggesting that the Italicas are as good as the Hondas, just a very good bang for the buck. Nor, am I trying to convince you to buy one, I simply shared the price difference I have found and which I would buy under what circumstance. I mentioned the Honda prices from Tapachula, the Yamaha prices were very similar to the Hondas. And the KLR prices are pretty much the same in Chetumal as they are in Monterrey.

I would love to have a link to these places that are selling Hondas near the Italica price levels. :deal
  4. pax maac

Oddometer:
    Honda.com.mx The Honda 125 costs 16,400 MXN. The 150 is 22,900 MXN. The XR150L is 30,900. The Italika's all cost between 14,000 and 35,000 MXN. Why wouldn't you buy the Honda? The Yamaha's are similar, low 20,000's to low 30,000's for those kind of bikes.
  5. BikeMex

BikeMex Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    >Honda.com.mx The Honda 125 costs 16,400 MXN. The 150 is 22,900 MXN. The XR150L is 30,900. The Italika's all cost between 14,000 and 35,000 MXN. Why wouldn't you buy the Honda? The Yamaha's are similar, low 20,000's to low 30,000's for those kind of bikes.<

That's exactly the point.

We have to compare apples with apples. A XR 250 Tornado is by far better that any Italika. The build quality of the Alloy, Steel and Plastics . . . and of course the whole construction. Just look at the fork and the swingarm. A huge difference.

The Tornado is made in Manaus/Brazil and the Honda XR 150 L is made in Guadalajara/Mexico. You can see the difference of quality as well. The Brazil bike is better made.

The Italika comes probably from the same plant than many other chinese bikes. They have only different names.
  6. dwj - Donnie

dwj - Donnie Long timer

Oddometer:

The 250 Tornado, which is the size moto I have been talking about is 62,000 pesos, compared to 23,499 for the Italica 200 dualsport. If you recall, this Thread started out talking about the availability of larger motos, not "pizza motos". The Honda 150 Trabajo is 22,900 versus 22,499 for the Italica. The reason is, as I understand it, is that the outrageous import tax kicks in somewhere around 200CCs. I would certainly buy the 150 Honda instead of the 150 Italika, but if I were purchasing a 200/250cc dualsport moto, I would buy as I described in an earlier post. The Mexican Government is trying to protect the poor folks by not having the huge tax on the small moto like they buy, but for the wealthier folks that want larger moto, they charge the high tax. Do you think in the US, that a 250cc moto would cost 2.7 times the price of a 250? But, as I have said earlier, I am not trying to convince you to buy an Italica! But making general statements that Honda's can be bought in the larger sizes at the same prices is not correct.
  7. BikeMex

BikeMex Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The interesting thing is that you can buy a BMW here in Mexico for pretty much the same price than in Germany! These bikes a made in Spandau/Berlin - Germany.

I don't know how this works with import taxes but if BMW can do this, the others should be able to do the same. And BMW sells a lot of bikes in Mexico.
  8. pax maac

Oddometer:
    I was just gonna say I am looking at the Ducati USA website and the Mexico website and just for an example, Streetfighter 848 is 13,495 USD in the US and 213,900 MXN in Mexico which is 13,900 USD at todays exchange. Pretty close. The Scrambler Urban is 9,995 USD and 158,900 MXN which is 10,326 USD. Very close again. If they can do it, Honda certainly can.

So there's something fishy going on.
  9. dwj - Donnie

dwj - Donnie Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think most moto in Europe are priced higher than the US, but I may be wrong.

While I am not questioning what you said you saw, I would question if they can really be purchased at that price.
  10. John Ashman

Oddometer:
    The US has hardly any taxes on vehicles, whereas most countries seem to tax the crap out of them, lest any poor person might acquire one.
    larryboy likes this.
  11. John Ashman

Oddometer:
    I haven't figure out, however, why a Tornado is more than twice the price of the 150 which is a newer design. Country of origin, perhaps. Size. A little. But it's not like a Tornado costs twice as much to make. But if you try to ask about taxes or duties or fees that might cause it, well....good luck. Mexicans can confuse the Byzantines any day of the week.

And Honda can't even set up its new website in advance, they're going to change it on the 26th, rather than putting "coming soon" on the new models.
    larryboy likes this.
  12. BikeMex

BikeMex Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hello John, as i wrote. The Tornado is made in Brazil and the XR 150 in Mexico. There comes of course a part of the price difference. And they are different bikes. Look at the front fork of a Tornado and a 150 !

The question is, if Honda will have mechanics who are able to service and repair the "new big bikes" they like to sell in the future. I still have my doubts abut this.

Saludos Jürgen
  13. dwj - Donnie

dwj - Donnie Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hello John, as i wrote. The Tornado is made in Brazil and the XR 150 in Mexico. There comes of course a part of the price difference. And they are different bikes. Look at the front fork of a Tornado and a 150 !

The question is, if Honda will have mechanics who are able to service and repair the "new big bikes" they like to sell in the future. I still have my doubts abut this.

Saludos Jürgen

I think we probably both know the answer to that. :evil I was in Guatemala with a BMW that would not crank. I was pretty sure it was the Hall's Sensor and relayed that to the small town mechanic, however, upon learning that the oil had been changed in Mexico, he was positive that it was the Mexican oil. :rofl Then the moto was hauled 150 miles to the BMW store in Guatemala City and I also expressed the opinion that it may be the Hall's Sensor. After nine days in their shop, I was presented with a document to sign that stated they could not find the problem and I was taking the moto upon my own responsibility. But they had previously assured me that it was not the Hall's Sensor. For whatever reason the moto would crank and run at this point. We headed back north. At Lago Atitlan, it died again! When the moped mechanic and I pulled the front cover off of the Alternator Belt/Hall's Sensor location, parts of the Hall's Sensor fell out onto the ground. I order a sensor, we installed it and we continued on to Panama and back. Moto was running great when I sold it and it now resided in Northern Mexico! :D

I trust my moto with no one down south and don't have much confidence in those up north. :deal
  14. John Ashman

Oddometer:
    So far, looks like they have Gold Wings, VFR800s, Cross Runners, Cross Tourers and the NC750X and CTX products, but apparently no CRF250L or CB500 series, no doubt because they are from Thailand. I believe Mexico taxes the heck out of anything from Thailand because I've noticed that Kawasaki had the same issue on its KLX bikes.
    larryboy likes this.
  15. dwj - Donnie

dwj - Donnie Long timer

Oddometer:

I had a 2007 KLX250S, I am pretty sure that is was made in Japan, but I could be wrong! My 2002 was assembled in Thailand, but just about every branded part I ever seen on it said 'made in Japan". I loved both of these motos. The KLR was sold with 87,000 miles plus and I sold the KLX when I moved to Mexico. The KLX had almost if not as good of a suspension as my 990 Adventure. :deal I really miss the KLX! :cry
  16. BikeMex

BikeMex Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  17. Dirtshow

Dirtshow Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Wondering the same thing ...
  18. BikeMex

BikeMex Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I saw the Honda XR 300 more than a year ago in Nicaragua. For ambitous price of 8400,- US $ :(:

And the Tornado costs 5800,- US $ there. And that's in the very poor Nicaragua :yikes
  19. John Ashman

Oddometer:
    The XRE is probably worse than a Tornado off road from what I've seen, it's like a ADV commuter similar to the NX400. Honda really needs to update its line of smaller bikes. At least the CRF230 is light.

The new page is up at www.honda.com.mx/powerhouse

Cross Runner and NC750X are about the only things that appeal to me directly, as long distance commuters. Nothing offroadable at all listed, but they have been promoting the CRF450s.
    larryboy likes this.
  20. dwj - Donnie

dwj - Donnie Long timer

Oddometer:
    The Goldwing Audio Comfort is $30,065US on the website. The same moto in Allen, TX is $21,599US. That is a $8,466US difference! Makes the $3,000 or $4,000 import tax my friend in Freshnillo was quoted seem cheap! Of course, you may not be able to import a new moto.