Mexico questions

Discussion in 'Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States' started by chain, Jul 24, 2004.

1. chain

chain Go Fly Supporter

Oddometer:
    working on a trip plan to ride copper canyon this winter and want to meet chainwife at the beach for a coupl of days. how far must I go from copper canyon to find a quaint beach town with airport and shuttle? she'll be in for 3-4days dont mine riding more for better beach/ village. thinking of cabo? but need I go that far?
  2. Curtis

Curtis Life serve the risk taker

Oddometer:
    I've not been here but you may look into San Carlos and Guaymas. Of course Cabo will be great. You know about the ferry across right.

http://www.si-mexico.com/cities/San-Carlos.htm
  3. chain

chain Go Fly Supporter

Oddometer:
    yes I saw the car ferry on the map. know anything about it? how often it runs? cost? how long it takes?
    ever been to cabo?
  4. Curtis

Curtis Life serve the risk taker

Oddometer:
    Sorry, I guess I'm not a very good source. Never done the ferry or made it all the way to cabo. Alot have though, you will get more info here.
  5. motojoe

motojoe Arrest Cheney and Bush

Oddometer:
    your highness,
    matzatlan isnt too far from my understanding and there would be an airport for the lady as well. Pretty cool town from what I hear. only thing is the roads would be crossing mountains in a twisting winding way to get there :thumb .
    joe
  6. chain

chain Go Fly Supporter

Oddometer:
    damn twisty roads. allways seem to be between where I am and where Im goin. some day Im going to learn to fly :lol3
  7. pilot

pilot ...

Oddometer:
    Yes, Mazatlan it is. You can ride "Spinosa del Diablo" into Mazatlan from Copper Canyon. One of the best I've ever been on. Mazatlan isn't really quaint. It is a pretty busy tourist town. You can get a hotel on the beach for 250 Pesos a night (around $25). Lots of night life.

When are you thinking of doing Baranca de Cobre? I'm still trying to come up with a destination for the winter.
  8. hardybaker

hardybaker Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You might want to consider getting on the train, with your scoot in Creel, or the town South of Creel (I forgot the name of the next town on the train's schedule,) and making the day long trip to the Pacific Ocean, then meeting the wife in ??? Sorry I couldn't be more specific. By the way. the train ride costs about Twenty or thirty bucks each way and the scoot the same. Oh yea, don't take the "luxury" train because it cost about twice as much as the "common " train.There is no diner car on the common train, but they have snacks. Enjoy, and I am sure you will. Hardy Baker
  9. stevenrosenblatt

stevenrosenblatt Texan in NJ

Oddometer:
    Chain:
    As for the train there are stations in Creel and the next station is Divsiadero. There is a great hotel there on the edge of the canyon right at the train station. The paved road ends about 30 miles from Divisadero and it is grave/dirt after that. There are two roads high and low. In winter at the high elevations there will be snow "neive". I ride that area every February crossing the border in Presidio, TX. To get to the Pacific you can ride the train to Los Mochis and then go to Puerto Viarta. Check out ChiChi's Paradise, she sill love it. It is a short cab ride from the beach hotels. You can ride to the coast on the north route on MEX 16 to Hemosillo, a factory town that may have an airport and is not too far from Bahia Kino and Guaymas. Warning, Mex 16 also goes over the Sierra Madra and may have snow in winter.
    A good ride would be to go south from Creel. If you like dirt roads and views ride down the Canyon into Batopilas. Spend the night and then go south to Durango or even the colonial city of Zacatatecas. Durango is a big industrial city. The ride the Devil's Backbone to Mazatlan.
    Here are some tips about Mexico riding. Don't ride at night. Plan so you don't need tires or carry one with you. Don't crash. Bring cold weather riding clothes and a rainsuit.
    Check out the HSTA site for the Ride the Rio event. It has pictures of Mexico rides and more do's and don't of riding in Mexico www.ridehasta.com.
    If you have questions send me a private email as I don't read this site regularly. Steve in Haddonfield NJ stevenrosenblatt@yahoo.com
  10. chain

chain Go Fly Supporter

Oddometer:

lotsa info :thumb thanks steve

where are you from newark De? Ill be out there next week. thinking about riding out.

cheers
    chain
  11. pilot

pilot ...

Oddometer:
  12. chain

chain Go Fly Supporter

Oddometer:
    thanks pilot Ill check it out

been flyin?
  13. chain

chain Go Fly Supporter

Oddometer:

Thanks hardy sounds like a cool option.
  14. pilot

pilot ...

Oddometer:
    No, my hanger doors blew off in a storm while I was gone. I have some minor repairs to do first. I've been hanging around the house in the a/c. The coupe is like flying a greenhouse.
  15. motojoe

Oddometer:
    Chain,
    You got a damn dirt bike just head west and you will get to the ocean eventually.

Pilot,
    How have you been? Working hard? :rofl

joe
  16. chain

chain Go Fly Supporter

Oddometer:
  17. BigDogAdventures

BigDogAdventures Fart Letter Supporter

Oddometer:
    Chain---your an offroad rider---the way West for you from Copper Canyon and Batopilas is the way I went-----Batopilas, (cross Urique river--have automatic weapons pop out of the bushes at you) Tubares, Urique, Cerocahui, Bauchivo,Temoris, Chinipas (cross the Chinipas river), Alamos-up and over and thru the Sierra Madre to the West Coast. Don't give in a ride the roads over the moutains.
  18. motojoe

Oddometer:
    sounds cool bigD
    think i saw pics from that ride on this site, awhile back.

joe
  19. pilot

pilot ...

Oddometer:
    yeah, Chain, you really want to stay away from a road like this:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Just no fun at all!