Mexico road question

Discussion in 'Americas' started by SouthAmerAddict, Oct 8, 2018.

1. SouthAmerAddict

SouthAmerAddict Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Can anyone tell me if the main road, Rt 450 from El Paso to Morelia is all paved?
    Sold my Tiger and for now want to take my Goldwing down there.

thx!
    kantuckid likes this.
  2. Sjoerd Bakker

Sjoerd Bakker Long timer

Oddometer:
    I don't know where you got your " main road Rt 450" from .
    But yes all the main highways connecting El Paso TX to Morelia , MICH are indeed paved , blacktop , all weather .

Of course if you let yourself get side tracked you could wind up in the middle of a muddy cow pie strewn paddock somewhere.

What map are you getting these numbers from ? Just curious
    CO303 and kantuckid like this.
  3. SouthAmerAddict

Oddometer:
    Got it from Google Maps. I've been doing a zoom in and search using Google earth to watch for normal blacktop, but it's a long process going piece by piece.
    I loved off-road on my Tiger, but not on the Wing. :-)
  4. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    There is no such road?

Any yellow road in Google Maps is paved for sure. In Mexico roads that ends in D is a fast interstate-style toll road. The same number w/o a D is the non-toll section. The road will go back and forth between the two as you travel along as will the road quality.

Mexico has very modern toll roads and many non toll roads are getting updated.

You can travel the whole country on fast smooth toll roads and see nothing...

Expect to hate all the topes (speed bumps) on your wing by the end of your trip.
    Most travel with ADV for the extra ground clearance.
    kantuckid and severely like this.
  5. SouthAmerAddict

Oddometer:
    That's great info, thanks. Understand about the dual sport preference. Done Argentina, Chile, Colombia, Costa Rica, and Prudhoe on rented BMWs. Great trips but had or witnessed computer/electrical problems on every one with BMW. Bought a 2018 Tiger, and just did Tuktoyaktuk. Great trip but wasn't happy with the overall weight and top heaviness. So sold. Guess I'm waiting for the perfect dual sport for me anyway that may never come. Tubeless, decent seat height, and low overall weight. Winging it to Morelia mostly for a two week Spanish course there. Desperately have been trying to learn the language for the last 18 months to make future S. America travels easier. :-)
    Thanks again much for the info!!
  6. Sjoerd Bakker

Sjoerd Bakker Long timer

Oddometer:
    I get it . You were misreading the highway numbers for Mex 45D
    as 450, and when I pull up google maps it says in a box " Mex 45 " and "Mex 45D" , nothing about " Rt450"

Get a KLR , other than having tubed tires it fits your description perfectly.
    No computers to go haywire. plenty of ground clearance , light enough to manhanfle on any paved road, lots of fuel capacity for long empty stretches and dead reliable , with ability to adapt to all luggage systems .
    The only thing missing is perhaps the snob factor of high price for bragging rights.:D
  7. SouthAmerAddict

Oddometer:
    Good catch! You're right of course. Didn't zoom in enough apparently. Yup, my buddy rode a KLR with me to Tuktoyaktuk. I just have an aversion to breaking a bead in the middle of Columbia, or on the interstate somewhere at night, etc. I also added up the space and weight of tire irons, Baja tool, extra tubes, rim protectors, etc I took to Tuk. Nuts. New Strom has spoked tubeless, but 40 lbs. heavier than the KLR.
  8. Sjoerd Bakker

Sjoerd Bakker Long timer

Oddometer:
    Really , how often do you expect to get flat tires while riding pavement ?
    Keep your eyes peeled for broken bottles and bolts, dead ( or live) porcupines, cactus pads , big nails and any suspect lumps on the riding line and ride around . Stay out of the rubbish that accumulates in the dead zones of intersections , those wedges where the trucks and cars never go and all the sharp junk accumulates .

What the heck would you be doing on the interstate , in Colombia (?) , in the MIDDLE OF THE NIGHT ? You should be asleep then .
    It seems I have a flat maybe every two years - probably less , and always during daylight .
    A quick tube change is no biggie. Patch the leaky tube and it then becomes the spare , or replace with new if it is beyond repairable .
    Carrying a spare tube ( each wheel of different size .) and two tire irons , patch kit and 12V pump is sufferable insurance .
    The pump and plug kit are always with me when riding tubeless in case .
    kantuckid and Cal like this.
  9. severely

severely almost a noob

Oddometer:
    I HIGHLY recommend you purchase and install a skid plate for your GW. Even with it installed I had 5 holes drug in it from topes. Last ride in Mexico for my GW, my Stelvio works for the wife and I now. Buena suerte.
  10. kantuckid

kantuckid Long timer

Oddometer:
    After over 20,000 miles of MC in Mexico I have zero flats-knock on wood...
    Also never a flat on a fly & rent driving vacations down there.I did rent an old beetle VW years ago that had engine problems.
    To provide myself with a chance to rant about RFT tires (and how much I do hate the damned things!:baldy) I will throw in that all of my flats in recent memory have happened on my own private gravel road here in KY or nearby travels on pavement. IN A CAR OR TRUCK! Modern tires don't go flat like back when... :nod
    GW's a topes are a bad mix, no doubt. Not that I've ever ridden one or wanted such a beast. Mexico has so many great roads the motorcycle brand or model isn't what this conversation should be focused on IMO?
    I really like Morelia and have a friend there-can't say I've been on an unpaved road in that area, maybe a short ways near the mariposa reserve in the indigenous area? Not where I'd go for Spanish in spite of being a neat city.
  11. stormdog

stormdog Long timer

Oddometer:
    You guys must live a charmed life I have had a hand full of flats. All nails in the rear tire
    Heck I picked up two nails on one Tope
  12. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    I just read reports of a Wing riding Mexico and dragging alot over speed bumps.

I'd take the Tigger w/o question. There are many places to go and explore with the Tigger that would suck on a Wing.

A Wing is really a US bike designed for US Interstates.
  13. Bubwheat

Bubwheat Long timer

Oddometer:
    I would recommend crossing at Santa Teresa, and picking up 45D south of Juarez. I'd also recommend taking a RT flight (less that $100) from Juarez to GDL and then busing down to Morelia. But, I'm fairly sure you don't want to hear that!
  14. Sjoerd Bakker

Sjoerd Bakker Long timer

Oddometer:
    Whether he chooses to cross at Santa Teresa/ San Jeronimo is his choice which should be determined by his timing for that border crossing .
    If he overnights in Las Cruces or one of the I 10 motels around Canutillo TX it will work fine , The crossing is about 30km out of the way , west off I 10 and there are no hotels anywhere nearby on the Mexican side , only maquiladoras , so if he was sloppy and crossed too late he could be riding in the dark before he hit the old Mex 45 far, far south of Juarez with any hotel options .
    Personally , after using S Jeronimo for the exploration value , I can't really see any tourist interest , if you were a trucker only interested in picking up a load and getting back north , or a timid tourist frightened of Cd Juarez I guess it would work .
    Much more interesting to take one of the EP to Juarez. city Center bridges and head south thru town on 45 .
    The route south to México is well signed , nothing to fear . You can learn some practical Spanish right away from reading all the signage of streets and businesses .
  15. Bubwheat

Bubwheat Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well, I guess the "30 miles out of the way" could describe any crossing depending on where you are coming from. And, the scenic vistas along 45D in Juarez include a couple of Super Walmarts! I live in El Paso, and go to Juarez every week or so. I cross the Santa Fe Bridge, and Uber most of the time if need be. But, if I was crossing with a vehicle I would still drive out to Santa Teresa and cross. The last time I did, me and my fellow rider were the only ones in the building, paperwork went extremely fast and we were on our way "toot sweet." And yes, there ain't much out that way, including traffic! But there are gas stations and a couple of stores!
  16. SouthAmerAddict

Oddometer:
    Those are separate projected instances. I've had flats on road and off road, and the Interstate and Columbia are meant as two separate instances.
  17. SouthAmerAddict

Oddometer:
    Good advice. thx!
  18. Sjoerd Bakker

Sjoerd Bakker Long timer

Oddometer:
    Like it or not WalMart is now part of the Mexican scenery , may as well get that knowledge first hand , it can't all be cantinas and '51 Chevy :lol3riders and mariachi bands.
    WalMart also has the Aurerra supermercados all over Mexico and the VIPS and other restaurant chains. .
    AsSouthAmerica Addict is coming from Washington , from the north , then San Jeronimo is not that far of a detour but for sombody approaching from the east it is a pointless exercise of scribing a big arc around the north and west of Cd Juarez. In less time one could cross the city southward and be on Mex 45.
    The same TVIP and FMM service is available alongside Mex 45 at about km 26 and on most days very few tourists compete for attention there .
    If a traveller was intending only to travel west on Mex 2 and south to Copper Canyon country then San Jeronimo / Sta Catarina would be useful, but then so would the Palomas/ Columbus NM border crossing
  19. SouthAmerAddict

Oddometer:
    All great info guys. I know it sounds funny, but multiple trips to S. Amer but not once driven in Mexico. Retired pilot so flew there many times but that's obviously very different.
  20. Bubwheat

Bubwheat Long timer

Oddometer:
    Of course Sjoerd is right, and he has vast experience south of the border. It all depends if you want to go through heavy traffic in Juarez or not. Not everyone wants too, hence they go through ST. One big advantage is that everything you need is right at the border at Santa Teresa, you don't have to travel way into Mexico to complete your travel documents. And, look depending on when you return you may want to definitely return through ST as the traffic is much, much less than the other border crossings. I swear half of El Paso visits kin folks in Juarez every weekend, and almost half of Juarez comes to El Paso to work. And, it's pretty fast they have a return lane with a booth, guy comes out, takes a photo and you are on your way to the US border.