Mexico road question

Discussion in 'Americas' started by SouthAmerAddict, Oct 8, 2018.

1. SouthAmerAddict

SouthAmerAddict Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Anyone crossed at Aqua Prieta in AZ? Would like to visit Tombstone on the way down.
    I didn't know about some crossing needing to go for aways before doing documents. That was good info. Thx!
    95Monster likes this.
  2. Bubwheat

Bubwheat Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not a bad crossing, crossed there a year ago on the way to the ferries and Baja. You can do the paperwork right at the border. Made a pretty quick right after going through checkpoint and you'll see you can go around the building to a parking lot and can enter the building from there. Beware of someone trying to get you to pay for parking, it was free when I was there but an enterprising young guy was trying to collect parking fees!

BTW, we went over a little late so we stayed at the Motel La Hacienda, decent rooms, very secure parking (guarded at night) about 2 blocks from the border crossing! Very good pizza place across the street, overall a lot cheaper than anything in Douglas.
  3. jimmex

jimmex Guero con moto Supporter

Oddometer:
    A. Prieta is one of my favorite crossings: super easy and not crowded.
    going south, Tricepilot and Cal like this.
  4. Sjoerd Bakker

Sjoerd Bakker Long timer

Oddometer:
    image.jpeg
    This is a photo taken 30 September 2018 of the info painted on the door of the BANJERCITO office in CANANEA , Sonora. Current info in other words .
    It clearly shows the days of the week and the hours during which That CANANEA office ( Modulo) is open AND
    the hours during which the Banjercito at NACO is open
    AND the hours during which the AGUA PRIETA services are open .
    Clearly AGUA PRIETA is the better choice for crossing the border if you are needing to get the FMM and the TVIP. . AGUA PRIETA border is open 24/7 with these services available and will spare you the bother of juggling your movements as to hour and day of crossing and hunting for BANJERCITO in Cananea .
    95Monster, Cal and jimmex like this.
  5. SouthAmerAddict

Oddometer:
    So the jist of it is that if I cross at Aqua Prieta, I won't have to hunt for any additional government offices as my FMM and TVIP will be processed right there, and then I'll be home free for the rest of my time in Mexico with no further bureaucracy to worry about?

thx
    95Monster and severely like this.
  6. jimmex

jimmex Guero con moto Supporter

Oddometer:
    Correct.
    Fast1 likes this.
  7. MAXVERT

MAXVERT O.G. on da O.C.

Oddometer:
    I've crossed there a dozen times . Super easy , go in one building , everyone knows what you need and are friendly and helpful.
    You'll ride in the country and the building is the first on your right . Motion to the customs officer that you want to ride around to the back door/guarded parking lot . I pull right up near the door . Last time I was there to cancel my TVIP a gentleman walked
    out the door before I got off the bike , with a handheld reader and did the whole thing in five minutes . Printed out a reciept
    total . Of course you'll need to go inside and first get your visa then across the lobby for the TVIP .
    I usually give the parking lot guard 20 pesos when I leave .

Max
    95Monster and knight like this.
  8. SouthAmerAddict

Oddometer:
    I notice that the Immigration Form and the Vehicle Import form online both request entry dates. Since I'm not sure about the exact date I'll be crossing, how do I fill these out before hand?
  9. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just fill in a date before you plan to be at the border. You do not have to enter on the exact date you put on the form, just enter after the date and not before.
  10. SouthAmerAddict

Oddometer:
    GR8. Thanks!!!
  11. jhuttj

jhuttj n00b

Oddometer:
    Yup
  12. Bigsmokindaddy

Bigsmokindaddy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I used to have the Tiger 800XC. Tall bike and not tubeless. Switched to the Tiger Explorer. Smaller front wheel makes you feel much more connected with the bike and you don’t feel like you are sitting on a ladder. The Explorer is shaft drive and tubeless for easy maintenance.
  13. Turkeycreek

Turkeycreek Gringo Viejo

Oddometer:
    Riding the Wing can be challenging on Mexican roads but I've seen a few down here. Harleys too. You have to develop your technique for the topes but there will always be one you don't see until the last minute. Up-armored bash plate is a good suggestion.

Here is info from our hotel web site on crossing at Nogales, Naco and Douglas/Agua Prieta. It has a map to the hard to find Banjecito permit office in Cananea. If you choose to get your permit in Cananea be sure to get your tourist card/visa at Naco first.
    going south likes this.
  14. Sjoerd Bakker

Sjoerd Bakker Long timer

Oddometer:
    ""I notice that the Immigration Form and the Vehicle Import form online both request entry dates. Since I'm not sure about the exact date I'll be crossing, how do I fill these out before hand?""

Refresher alert :
    The simplest answer to these input requests for getting stuff ON-LINE is to NOT DO SO .
    The surest and simplest method is to go to the Mexican border and get the paperwork done right there ,in person . You will then be spared the nuisance and worry about setting a wrong date , waiting for papers to arrive by courrier , forgetting to print off the receipt for payment, losing or forgetting to bring the receipt , etc . ( see post #8 in https://advrider.com/f/threads/fmm-in-mexicali-aduanas-location.1369987/ )
    The on-line method opens you up to a mess of potential problems and it does not save you any time or motions when you cross the border .
    Even with the obtained-on-line papers in hand y
    ou still need to stop in at the border customs offices to get those online docs witnessed .
  15. Gustavo

Gustavo Motociclista Errante

Oddometer:
    Yes, but...

If you travel around major holidays, most paisanos don't need to get a visa, but do need to get their US cars imported temporarily for the home visit. I usually cross at Santa Teresa. The line for the TVIP at Santa Teresa is always much longer (measured in hours) than the immigration line.

Santa Teresa crossing, on Dec 21. This is the line to get your TVIP around 11 AM:
    [​IMG]

If your travel dates coincidence with any of the major holidays, I'd get the TVIP online. On other dates, it probably doesn't save you a significant amount of time.

Gustavo