Mexico summer, road to Batopilas??

Discussion in 'Latin America' started by dwestmodesto, May 29, 2005.

1. dwestmodesto

dwestmodesto Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Have any here headed to Copper Canyon in the summer? I am leaving for Mexico on July 1, and don't know if road conditions in summer rainy season will make it possible to do the ride down into Batopilas. Any other experience with riding in Mexico during the summer season would be appreciated. I will be heading south on my R1150GS. I will probably ride through Baja on the way down and take the ferry to Mazatlan. I will head further South and then come back through Creel and Copper Canyon. Any other interested crazies who want to experience Mexicos summer rains and heat, send me a note.

Thanks,
    Dave
  2. dwestmodesto

Oddometer:
    No one answered my post about Copper Canyon and Batopilas. Where should ride planning be? Did I post in the correct forum, or is another area more appropriate?
    Thanks,
    Dave

3. k7

k7 Almost retired....tick..tick..tick..

Oddometer:
  4. Lone Rider

Lone Rider Registered User

Oddometer:
    If you think it's going to be wet, run knobbies.
  5. dwestmodesto

Oddometer:
    I got no responses to the same question on Horizonsunlimited.com as I got here. Maybe I will be the first person stupid enough to ride to Batopilas in the rainy season...lol.
    Thanks for the link either way,
    Dave

6. dwestmodesto

Oddometer:
    knobbies are already mounted and waiting for baja.
    Thanks for the response,
    Dave

7. AndyT

AndyT Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think nobody here is crazy enough to go during the summer. Mucho calor! I don't think the road to Batopilas will be a problem, it is pretty good graded gravel, so mud won't be a big deal. I have heard of the river flooding after a big storm though. Let us know how it goes.
  8. michocolombia

michocolombia Aventurero de Corazon

Oddometer:
    I'm crazy too, I will join you, as long as I am riding to new places and seeing new things I will always hop on my my bike

sent you a pm

cheers
  9. wannabefast

wannabefast Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi Dwestmodesto, I have been to the copper cannyon but only in winter. Cool/cold in Creel & very warm/hot in Batopilas. We should chat over some beverage. Tony
  10. westnash

westnash Long timer

Oddometer:
    Keep in mind that besides for the rain/mud/ whatever it will be excessivly hot at the bottom of the canyon in Batopilas. I never saw an air conditioner there and it was plenty hot in November with just some fans. My suggestion is to stay up top and ride in the mountains.
  11. topes

topes Banned

Oddometer:
    Has anyone mentioned it's going to be hot? You might be better off checking out the views from the top. There's plenty of places to ride off-pavement where the temps will be mild. Unless you're just very acclimated to heat, I'd stay at elevation.
  12. dwestmodesto

Oddometer:
    I teach high school, and have the summer off. Riding in spring and fall wont be an option untill retirement, and that is a long way off. I live with summer temps over 100 degrees most of the time. I don't love it, but don't die either. Batopilas isn't the only stop on my trip, I will be going to many different locations in Mexico...some hot and coastal, others up in the high mountains.
    Dave

13. advguayo

advguayo Journey to Ixlan and back

Oddometer:
    I did the north-east of Mexico in july 2003. Crossed at Laredo,TX went straight down to monterry-then san luis potossi via back roads then headed to the coast around Veracruz. Came back up the coast. I spend 5 weeks in total - 3 in Mexico - other 2 were getting from ontario to mex/mex to ontario.

All I can say it was not very pleasurable. I was driving in 42-47 degree celcius daily in the desert and 35-38 on the coast(but more humidity). I believe in wearing proper gear so had my aerostich suit(light olive green not black thank god). I had passed through the same region on route to Guatemala a few times but never in the dead of summer - much more enjoyable. I believe you may encounter similar temps en route to Copper Canyon - so beware - if you got the time only drive early mornings and then check in somewhere and enjoy the locale. Good luck and of course do the trip it will beat not doing it. After my trip I swore I'd figure out an air conditioner for my helmet - anyone??

good luck
    craig.
  14. westnash

westnash Long timer

Oddometer:
    did you hear the word hot!

Check out a map and plan your trip around where there is ELEVATION and MOUNTAINS so you can be at least in bearable weather.
  15. dwestmodesto

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the response. It is nice to know that someone else has survived the summer riding in Mexico. I am still looking for ride partners, but so far the only one interested has backed out.
    I plan on riding with gear, but summer gear. I have a FirstGear ballistic mesh jacket that I have used the last few years. It is ok at temps over 100 degrees, but gets very hot as soon as you stop for a few moments. I will also have the matching mesh pants. I have had a pressurized MistyMate cooler mounted on my cruiser for hot desert rides for the last few years also. It helps when it is over 100 degrees and dry...it would be good for the deserts, but useless in the humid coastal regions. I will be moving the cooler to the bmw for the ride.
    Thanks again,
    Dave

16. gratefulJED

gratefulJED long strange tripper

Oddometer:
    Dave,
    How long are you planning on being gone, and, how is your Spanish?
  17. TriplePete

TriplePete Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Almost made it to Batopilas last Feb, but I got snowed in in Creel. Winter riding there is nice, never been in the wet summer though. Oh yeah, knobbies to Batopilas for sure in the wet.
  18. DJDFISH

DJDFISH Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The road to Batopilas isn't that bad and maintained tolerably well. I rode out after a couple days of serious rain and passed the maintainer on the way out. It was slow going but not that difficult. Knobbies definately woulda helped. The best advice I can give you is that when you're riding, ignore the scenery and watch the road. If you want to take in the view stop!

On the other hand the road to Urique is much more hairy. Both trips were made on a GS fully loaded down. After getting your feet wet in Baja and taking in a little sand you shouldn't have any trouble. Stiffen up the suspension, don't try to steer around every little bump or rock, trust the ability of the bike and when in doubt plow over obstacles.
  19. dwestmodesto

Oddometer:
    I am planning 3 weeks in Mexico. I have been teaching high school science to students just out of Mexico for the last 14 years. I have to teach in English, but then explain everything in Spanish. My grammer in Spanish sucks, but I have no problem being understood, my vocabulary is fine.
    Hasta la vista,
    Dave

20. dwestmodesto

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the advice. I keep my suspension pretty stiff at all times.
    hasta,
    Dave