Mexico to Canada Electric Harley Davidson LiveWire Trip!

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Diegofcardenas, Jun 17, 2020.

1. Diegofcardenas

Diegofcardenas n00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    As part of my bucket list, celebrating my 50th birthday and wanting to practice #socialdistancing . I want to do something memorable! In the spirit of #jackalope and #ricosuave, I am prepping to do the 1st cross country road trip on the #harleydavidson #livewire.

Now I am not a stranger to taking long trips on electric vehicles backs a few years ago with less charging infrastructure I did 2 cross country trips from LA to NYC on my Tesla, so I am well versed on the etiquettes on long range travel on and EV. Now with a motorcycle which has a lot less range it will slightly more challenging but fun!

As I get to know the Harley Davidson electric motorcycle more and more, I have been venturing out with it. In Feb 2020 I rode the LiveWire from San Francisco, CA to Los Angeles, CA which is roughly 400 miles. During this trip I was able to get a better feel for the bikes performance when it comes to range.

During my San Francisco, CA to Los Angeles, CA trip in Feb 2020. I learned that the 5 FWY is also known as the West Coast Green Highway. This sparked the Idea to ride the complete highway with the LiveWire. The highway starts at the US-Mexico border and it end at the US-Canada border. This set-in motion the plan for to be 1st LiveWire owner will ride the West Coast Green Highway WCGH. We are talking 1,300+ miles of road and scenery!

Now you may be asking why? I turn 50 on June 30, 2020 and I wanted to do something memorable, while at the same time trying to maintain social isolation due to the pandemic. My options for celebrating that milestone in my life where few. Most people throw parties or go on trips, but I wanted to do something bigger, better and that I was passionate about. I also wanted something that is unique for the occasion.

I also wanted my future grandkids talk about how I was the 1st Harley Davidson Electric motorcycle owner to do such a ride, I want to be part of HD's history, most importantly I want to show the community and the world that it can be done on an electric HD or any 2 wheel EV.

I have consulted some veteran long range/distance EV riders suchs a Ben Rich and others which have been coaching me on what to expect. As you know I am not Ewan Macgregor nor have the unlimited resources to do this trip, therefore it has become a family effort. My wife and daughter will be on my support vehicle (2014 Ford C-Max Energi), through the complete voyage. We are not out to set any speed, nor is this an “Iron Butt” run, I just want to show that a normal guy can do this trip with the right planning.

The idea is to Drive down to the 1st DC fast Charge station in San Ysidro, CA on the week of June 22 and end up at the Bellingham, WA DC fast charge station a few days later. I have already mapped a primary and secondary route on the WCGH that I will be following. The strategy is simple ride during the day from charging station to charging station, while at the same time doing some tourism along the way.

globe.png Cross 1.png 4714CAF8-B5F5-430D-95C8-97F82F9F877A.jpeg
  2. +venture

+venture Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Good luck and travel safe!
    Traxx and Diegofcardenas like this.
  3. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    Great way to celebrate your 50th. Have a super trip.
    Traxx likes this.
  4. Scribe

Scribe £Bob£

Oddometer:
    Cool trip. Livewires are awesome.
    Traxx likes this.
  5. Diegofcardenas

Oddometer:
    Thanks!

I will be doing some live broadcasting while at charging stops letting my friends know my trials and tribulations of the past leg of the trip. Visit www.facebook.com/hdlivewire, God willing I will embarc on Monday June 22, 2020.
    Traxx likes this.
  6. Diegofcardenas

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I wanted to do something epic within my limits and limits due to covid19. So I cam up with that idea? I will be doing some live broadcasting while at charging stops letting my friends know my trials and tribulations of the past leg of the trip. Visit www.facebook.com/hdlivewire, God willing I will embarc on Monday June 22, 2020.
    Traxx and B10Dave like this.
  7. Diegofcardenas

Oddometer:
    Im using the livewire for something it was not designed for but with the right infrastructure it can be accomplished. If all goes will I will be planning a coast to coast trip next. lol I will be doing some live broadcasting while at charging stops letting my friends know my trials and tribulations of the past leg of the trip. Visit www.facebook.com/hdlivewire, God willing I will embarc on Monday June 22, 2020.
    Traxx likes this.
  8. b4thenite

b4thenite Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wow, I 5 all the way, that's a tough ride.
    Good luck.
    Please post lots of pictures.
    Traxx, Cal and shupe like this.
  9. RedDogAlberta

RedDogAlberta High Plains Drifter

Oddometer:
    Looking forward to this. And yes, lots of pics please.
    Traxx likes this.
  10. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    Can't to just ride the coastal road, stay in hotels each night, bring an extension cord and plug in each night instead?
    Traxx likes this.
  11. Thats a great trip. I did it 28 years ago on a Kawasaki, I like the Livewire, think it is a great bike. Have a safe and enjoyable trip. I have only seen one Livewire in Athens, Greece, but electric is the future...
    Traxx likes this.
  12. bloggerblog

bloggerblog Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Wow good luck! After test-riding the Livewire I couldn't seem to find a way to hook up luggage, and there were no Harley accessories to mount any. How are you handeling the luggage issue?
    Traxx likes this.
  13. Donson

Donson Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What happened next? :(
    Traxx likes this.
  14. 72 Yamaha RD350

72 Yamaha RD350 Followed the Wrong God Home Supporter

Oddometer:
    He did the trip with only a hiccup or two that required a small amount of trailering. His wife and child were driving a support vehicle. IIRC, he had a key fob failure but had left his second key fob at home. He got a sore ass from the LiveWire seat. He did a couple podcast interviews after he got home which is where I heard his account of the trip. Look up Moto Men podcast and search for the episode.

I congratulate Diego on the accomplishment - turning fifty is a big deal. Riding a LiveWire from border-to-border south to north - to each his own adventure.

A fellow had already ridden from the west coast to the east coast on a Zero motorcycle. So is it a big deal before Long Way Up that someone rode a LiveWire from the Mexican border to the Canadian border - I’m not so sure. As a personal adventure - sure. But as a proof of the practicality of EV infrastructure or EV technology - I’m not so certain.

I’m no Luddite but I’ve got enough experience with advanced technologies to know that software in the real world has no fewer failure modes than hardware. And Diego apparently knows that too with the amount of concern he had for the trip and the special planning he did.

Full disclosure: I own a hybrid electric vehicle I’ve driven over 100k miles. I want to love the LiveWire but it’s not clear to me that even the new CEO of HD loves it - he’s a fucking bastard though.

I guess the issue that I have with Diego’s trip is that I ride my Road King to get away from technology and a screen in front of my face. That’s what riding is to me - simplicity, focusing on the landscape, the geography, i.e. everything but the bike. Diego’s ride is the exact opposite - fretting over every charge point and the display of doom in front of him. He and other EV riders seem to get a kick out of that. Good for them. Yes, I know I know I am taking the gasoline infrastructure for granted.

I’d like to hear what Diego thinks of his trip now that time has passed. Long motorcycle trips are like wine - it takes time for their essence to make itself clear. How will Diego feel about his trip after the new CEO of HD kills the LiveWire when the 2021 model lineup is announced in February? [Let me be clear, I don’t think he should but he will because it doesn’t fit into his ReWire business plan.]
    Traxx likes this.