Mexico Trip - Destination Guanajuato Sep 1-8

Discussion in 'Latin America' started by 97Octane, Jun 13, 2007.

1. 97Octane

97Octane Defining Mediocrity

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Attention fellow Adventure Riders, 2 Wheeled Texans, and Posers et al,

I represent the latter of our humble group, am extending an invitation for you to join me on a Mexico Adventure to Guanajuato, Mexico for August 31st September, 8th. (Departure is scheduled for Friday to make a run for the border, but you cannot arrive until Saturday that is fine, I am flexible) Can meet in Houston at my house (I Have a spare bedroom, private bath, garage for you’re your bike, a swimming pool and free beer) if you need a stopping point for the layover for departure.

Monday Sept. 3rd is labor day, so for you employed blokes, you only have to take off work for 4 days, but yield the entire week and two weekends to make the trip.

I live in Houston, TX and I will leave from here however, we can meet up in Houston, San Antonio or Laredo, TX. On Friday or Saturday.

The destination is Guanajuato, Mexico located in the highland Plateau region of Central Mexico. Guanajuato is a Spanish colonial town made famous by silver mining.

This is not an off-road adventure, the GS (a.k.a. ‘Bullwinkle’) will stick to pavement as this is a street bike friendly ride with good quality roads virtually throughout. This is a very mountainous region, with incredible scenery virtually the entire route once past the border.

Currently, I have one other rider with 97% confirmation joining from Adv Rider forums coming from Maryland.
    ---------------------------------------------------
    97Octane BMW R1150GS 100% Confirmed 2Up
    Dave (A.k.a. Dave) - V-Strom 100% Confirmed
    Gringacho (Adv Rider) - 100% Confirmed (My spare bedroom is now taken)
    Texduvall (TWTEX) - R-1200-RT or V-Strom 650 (Unconfirmed)
    Cyon (TWTEX) - Ninja 6fitty (Unconfirmed - Recent Back Injury)
    ----------------------------------------------------

The route is planned, with border crossing in Laredo, TX into Nuevo Laredo.

Day 1 (Friday) – I-10 to I 35. Houston via San Antonio to Laredo, TX (Stop in San Antonio for river-walk brunch and obligatory picture of bike in front of the Alamo) arrive in Laredo, TX
    Day 2 (Saturday) – Cross border in the AM and en route via Toll Road (cuotas) to Monterrey then over to Saltillo. From Saltillo, head south toward San Louis Potosi on cuotas) Highway 57 South. Stop in Real de Catorce. Eat, drink beer, rinse, lather repeat.
    Day 3 (Sunday) – Real de Catorce to San Louis Potosi and on to Guanajuato (Base HQ)
    Day 4 (Monday) – Free Day in Guanajuato. Take leisure rides through town, and surrounding mountains
    Day 5 (Tuesday) Free Day, do your own ride. Possible day trip to Guadalajara or overnighter there
    Day 6 (Wednesday) Free Day, do your own ride. Possible trip to San Miguel de Allende.
    Day 7 (Thursday) Prepare for return trip home
    Day 8 (Friday) Still heading home. Stay in Nuevo Laredo for final push back to Houston.
    Day 9 (Saturday) Arrive Home
    Sunday – And on this day the lord rested on the Sabbath – Recover and reflection

There are no hard riding days here. I have mapped out great flexibility for this route to ensure some options so that we can alter city destinations if we are getting behind schedule due to road conditions and avoid riding at night. Smacking a wandering burrow in the road during the night and using him for a fender ornament (mascot) is not something I plan on doing. I will have target destinations for each day, in addition to alternates should we not cover the distances planned.

This trip is a great leisure ride, with lots of photo opportunity and great roads virtually the entire route. I have purchased a few books, and am up-to-date detailed Mexico road map in addition to speaking with a Native of Guanajuato who recently drive from the city to Houston in a car. Toll roads are said to be spectacular in beauty through the mountains, and above avg. quality with plenty of turns, twists, hills, mountains and valleys. Tolls to and fro will avg. just above $100 US each way.

We can split hotel room if you like. We will have a local guide as well so someone will be able to tell us more about each local destination. Home cooked meals to boot.

With that said, I found one, so I am staying on the side of town at Hacienda de Cobos. It’s about $50 per night for 2 people. This is a bargain in this town... trust me. I emailed almost all of ‘em and read reviews on the hotels. There are virtually no hotels in the center of town that has parking for anywhere near this price, so we can wing it from here. Once we are there, if you want to move or can find a better one, I will be happy to move as I am very flexible. Its difficult to make a decision, but a decision has to be made.

Pictures are available here:

http://guanajuatocapital.com/espanol/Hcobos.htm

The address is:
    Hotel Hacienda de Cobos
    Calle Padre Hidalgo No. 3 y Avenida Juárez No. 153
    Zona Centro, C.P. 36000
    Teléfono: +52 (473) 732 0350 y 732 9270
    Fax: +52 (473) 732 0143
    E-mail: gtolamaru@hotmail.com

Ask for rooms for the “Adventure Rider group” :thumb:To get an actual confirmation number is a complicated process, but demand one over the phone, or email. just tell em your a group under the name and want a room in promimity on the first floor near the parking area. They have a guard as well, so no issues there.

This should keep us all near one another, and on the ground floor next to the parking area.

For those curious about logistics, here’s what you'll need:

What To Take With You From Home:
    1. Vehicle Title. Bring the original and two copies.
    2. A valid U.S. / Canadian driver's license.
    3. Passport, or resident alien card.

4. Mexican Insurance – Easy purchased on “the net” and printed from your computer. Bring 2 copies.

The Border Procedures:
    1. Go to the Mexican Customs (Aduana)/ Vehicle Control Checkpoint.
    2. Fill out form titled "Temporary Import Permit."
    3. Fill out form titled "Vehicle Return Promise Agreement."
    4. Fill out "Tourist Card."
    5. Go to Banjército (Mexican Army Bank) with those three forms.
    6. Complete vehicle security deposit procedure by using any of the three available methods: Credit Card, or a Cash Deposit, or a Vehicle Value Bond.

Some of these border procedures may be altered if you get your vehicle import sticker/permit from your local Mexican Consulate. We have one in Houston, and I will arrange for mine before departure so I have everything ready to go.

I am going to take care of the import permit before I go, but we can get that for you in Laredo, TX, crossing the border over to Nuevo Laredo.

http://www.pbase.com/shmiller/guanajuato

http://www.terragalleria.com/north-a...uanajuato.html
  2. scorch

scorch Poser

Oddometer:

:evil
  3. scorch

scorch Poser

Oddometer:
    Yes, i think I can make it. But I got a st1300. Should I be buying another bike. Maybe a klr650? :D
  4. pecos

pecos BAM!!

Oddometer:
    97octane, if it was only two of you going, would you be concerned about the banditos?

I know folks are always going but it seems like most people go in packs of 4 or so.

Happyjack and I have our Sept ride narrowed down to the Ut/CO section of the TAT, east coast ride and now Mexico.

He is concerned that the banditos will club him and sell his body to a meat farm.

I know....don't start fights, stay together, stay away from alleys, stay on main roads.
  5. JimmyC

JimmyC Adventurer

Oddometer:
    If you need any information on the Guanajuato area let me know as I live about 1/2 hour south of the city. I would be glad to catch up with you guys when you make it down this way.

Rregarding small groups, I just made a solo trip from Phoenix to Guanajuato and had not issues at all. This includes a trip down to Batipilas in the Copper Canyon.

Again, let me know if I can be of any help in your trip planning.
  6. Pelon

Pelon Dia Por Dia

Oddometer:
    :gerg Eh? I have been to Mexico, alone, more times than I can count, and I am about as guerro as they come. I don't think you need to be worried about anything, so long as you behave yourselves, and are considerate of others.
  7. Happyjack

Happyjack 300 pound gorilla

Oddometer:
    Am I the only one who's seen From Dusk Till Dawn?
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/f/f4/Wbunch.jpg/800px-Wbunch.jpg
    [​IMG]
    They have vampires in Mexico and Banditos!

I just don't want to end up in flex cuffs, just my dirty underware,
    with a gag ball stuffed down my throat, thrown in the back of
    a pickup truck on the way to a Satanic ritual.

I'm scared....:huh

Yeah its a borderline call but this isn't JM and those are naughty bits
    Be thankful this wasn't booted into JM.
    YET!

JJ
  8. Gustavo

Gustavo Motociclista Errante

Oddometer:
    Packs of four? That's not enough, you should go in groups of 10 at least. Maybe not go at all. Yeah, it's too dangerous down there. The women are scary enough, let alone those mucho macho men.

(Pssstt, Pilot, how am I doing? :evil )

To reiterate, don't travel in Mexico. :eek1 Much better to fly to some big resort town and stick to the all inclusive hotels. :deal

Oh, yeah, don't read any of the links in my sig. file. :augie :augie :augie

Gustavo
  9. 97Octane

Oddometer:
    Everyone,

My invitation was and is open. An ST would be perfectly fine for this trip. I was orig. planning on a ride to Copper Canyon, but going solo backed out due to uncertainlty of terrain, not dangers.

Banditos and the dangers associated with them are a mute point to me. We have banditos here who will rob you and shoot you rather than look at you after they have what they need. Everyone has their horror stories about them, the dangers blah blah blah. Its overhyped and overrated. I will carry 2 wallets, one with expired credit cards and $30 in small bills, and a cheap watch. Leave my Tag Heuer at home. Banditos virtually know better than to actually hurt you. If they rob you.... you go to the police and tell, the police may even care enough to write down your name. If they hurt you, the banditos know that the police and Federalis get involved and more heat is on them. They want the easy pickens.... I have never personally never met anyone who has had a problem, but the legend of them survives to this day. I know they are there, but have never, and do not plan of becoming a victim. Its safe enough for me and the pillion.

There are enough people who have went, and I have been to Mexico enough times that making a solo trip like this one doesnt even phase me in the fear factor scale. Concerned and prepared is the word... but no. I have no issues with it.

If you are interested in going with me... read this, send me a PM and lets start planning!
    http://www.macaskill.com/Mexico/Mexico.html

JimmyC!

I'd love to hook up in Guanajuato! Lets exchange info and I'll buy you a brew or two. I would love to hear of some route options. I'm going to the book store today or tomorrow and pick up some recent and high quality maps for the trip and start mapping things out. Distance plans, planned stops, fuel expectations etc... Toll roads. I hear the cuotas are a dream down there.

Travelling in packs of 5 is not necessario.... two is safe enough. Not from the banditos, but the real concern is if one bike runs out of gas, or breaks down, the other person/bike can go fetch some help should find yourself in the middle of nowhere. I would prefer to travel in a small group, not a large one. The bigger the group, the more hassles one has to deal with and I find myself waiting around a lot. I wing a lot of things, I dont follow a precise schedule and this trip os about the journey. Not the number of miles we will run, or how fast can we get there. Its the experience I am chasing and desire, not the lines on the map.

If any of you want to chat more on the phone about this, and if you seriously think you can make it, and would like to go, lets talk more. I'm very open, easy to get along with and love to talk about bikes and about Mex-Hico!

Im not bragging that I have a myspace account by any means, quite juvenile actually but if you want to see a mug shot me and the Mrs. go to www.myspace.com/97octane
  10. pecos

pecos BAM!!

Oddometer:
    Octane, so it sounds like the banditos are friendly and not an issue.

What about hotels? Happyjack seems to think that hotels to not offer the same amienties as US. No towels, no toliet paper, no soap, no soup, etc. True? Yes, happyjack is a softy.

Do you need to make reservations or can you roll up to a hotel and get a room?
  11. scorch

scorch Poser

Oddometer:
    Yeah, i want in on this.. :D

Im a bandito myself, so it should work out fine!
  12. Happyjack

Oddometer:
    I know. I'm weak. :huh

But I heard that you're supposed to bring your own bedding, soap, towel, etc, to Mexican hotels. It makes cleaning up the blood splatter easier.
    [​IMG]
  13. 97Octane

Oddometer:
    Pecos,

Reservations are typically not needed unless your staying in a town that is holding a rally, or other city sponsored event. Hotels are hit and miss on quality. Now, will you find a Hampton Inn, or Hilton quality hotel outside of major cities? Absolutely not. The quality is considerably "poor" to American standards, but this is a reality that I have accepted long ago having staying in luxury resorts on the beaces of Meixco, and the slums in Nuevo Laredo.

Towels at the flea bag hotels are avail, but you have to ask for them at the front desk. They realize your an American tourist, and most go out of their way to make you as comfy as possible considering their accomodations. Most of them even let you roll your bike into the lobby for the night for security. If they hesitate, slap a $10 on the counter and all is good. Secured indoor motorcycling with a guard for the night.

Shampoo and conditioner most likely not be provided so travel size soap, and shampoo, and your own TP is reccomended. Makes road side pit stops easier anyway in case you eat some bad chili. :deal

Ive stayed at a $15 per night flea bag hotel in Mexico, and they still provided a regular bed, bedding, soap, and TP. No shampoo, no shower head so the water just splahed out of the pipe coming through the wall. Its really part of the inner Mexico experience. Its actually something you will remember for the rest of your life and you really appreciate "Home" when you get back.

Its grand!
  14. Happyjack

Oddometer:
  15. Lone Rider

Lone Rider Registered User

Oddometer:
    You and HJ can probably get connecting doors, but you might want to check with him first to make sure it's OK.

There are many, many people who will offer advice and help. Nobody has ever been there first, or the only time - somebody has always gone before. It's not breaking new ground.

*** EDITED ***
  16. pecos

pecos BAM!!

Oddometer:
    Lone R, I am not sure what point you are trying to make but you make no sense. Again I say.....go buy a bike and I might just start taking you serious. Heck, go rent a bike and then maybe you can offer some input. Are you jealous b.c your posts are not funny? Do you need a hug?

On a more serious note....Octane, do you carry a satellite phone? or a regular cell phone?
  17. Happyjack

Oddometer:
    he's lonely and needs a friend
    :rofl
  18. Happyjack

Oddometer:
    Why does LRider keep following us around? It's like being at a party, having a great conversation, and the retarded boy keeps interupting everyone.

Back to the issues at hand:

In Ol' Mexico, hotel/motel reservations or no?

Isn't there ruins or soemthing near Guanajuato?

Anyone seeen the ruins at Veracruz? worthwhile?
    http://www.mexperience.com/guide/archaeology/eltajin.htm
  19. Aussie_Gringo

Aussie_Gringo I have a "get out of banning for a week" card

Oddometer:
    *** EDITED ***

Previous personal stuff removed

LR's knowledge of Mexico and Central America has bailed out more than one rider stuck in a far away place.

:nod
  20. Happyjack

Oddometer:
    *** EDITED ***

Personal comments removed.

MB

Back to the topic, gringo!