Mexico Trip - Destination Guanajuato Sep 1-8

Discussion in 'Latin America' started by 97Octane, Jun 13, 2007.

1. Gringacho

Gringacho Una Aventura Loca

Oddometer:
    Greatly put!! I can tell we'll get along just fine if the timing works out for me. I plan on quiting my job at the end of August, so i'm not sure if i'll be packed up and ready to be in Houston by then. I might miss you guys by a week. If I do miss you all I would love to stop by in Houston and pick your brain on all your adventures that you had.

I will be travelling pretty light as I am on a budget and don't have the money to buy all the adventure accesories (sometimes unneccesary) that many people buy. The good thing is that I will be flying to Honduras at the end of July and plan to take filters, oil, some tools, TKC 80's to change when I get down there etc. etc.

I plan on living in Honduras for 6 months to a year with my soon to be wife and touring on the bike before we head back stateside in 2008. She will continue her job down there and I will be riding the bike and hanging out with friends and possibly working part time during this time.

It might be best to start a new thread, yet does anyone have any experience staying with there bike in one country for more than 6 months, then heading back to the states??

Cheers
  2. 97Octane

97Octane Defining Mediocrity

Oddometer:
    Gringacho,

Consider this trip an Introduction to Motorbiking Mexico 101. A significant amount of free time is built in to allow anyone going to do their own thing, and go where they want to go once we get there. I plan on doing a lot of riding, and using this time to take LOTS of pictures. I am taking my digital SLR camera, so I love photography and plan on using it a lot when Im down there. *Something to show the grandkids one day when I'm old. Till Mexico, this trip should supply me with a fun time, lot of time to see what I want to see, smoke some Cubanos Cigars, and hoist a few Coronas with salt and lime.

Since I am going 2UP, and taking the wifey along, I am not going to be on any off-road GS exploration trip trying to compete with Ewan and Charley for a BFE tour. This will be fun, this will be safe, and it will be an adventure without all the risk associated with other adventure style rides. If I was going solo, I would have a lot more miles planned for each day, and a lot more risky destinations and rides planned.

With all that said, packing light would be perfect. I plan on doing the same, or as light as I can considering the 2UP thing. You will not need all the farkle adventure touring gear other here take along with them.

Im going to wear my Columbia hiking boots as motorcycle boots, and bring along my fav. flip flops. Cuts down on the foot gear. I like to travel light as well, and will bring only enough clothes for the occasion, and since we will have laundry facilities avail. I will pack real light. Now... if I can convince the wife to do the same, Im in great shape! :wink:

Please do plan on coming down for the occasion. No one has officially reserved our spare bedroom yet, so once you are confirmed your going with me, and want a free room, then just shout.

To see my ugly mug... www.myspace.com/97octane
  3. 97Octane

Oddometer:
    Got one more interested in going from TWTEX.

Texduvall is planning on this ride as well :evil *Updated the 1st post as well to keep tabs.
  4. 97Octane

Oddometer:
    I am going to begin reserving or holding a few rooms for a hotel.

Obviously, with some possible overnight trips to other destinations once we get there, a continous 3 nights in Guanajuato will not serve everyones interest, however my goal is to find a hotel in or near the nerve center of the city that has secured parking for our rigs. I will be personally taking off for an excursion to Guadalajara, so my reservations will be "choppy" in this regard, however when returning to the city, I will use the common hotel, and request that everyone else do the same.

With that said, what are you guys looking to spend? I am open to splitting rooms, however given that different people are going to likely have vastly different budgets for this trip, I want to accomodate a find a middle ground.

Priorities:
    1.) Secured Bike Parking
    2.) Price
    3.) Location in city
    4.) Pool/ SPA and general amenities
    5.) Distance to the Tacate' Tavern [​IMG]

Tools:

I will have with me various tools.

Portable air compressor
    Tire Repair Kit (Plugs for tubeless setups)
    Metric Sockets
    Allen Wrenches
    Metric Wrenches
    HEX sockets
    Full Torx Bit set
    Mini Mag FLashlight
    Zip Ties

*No need to pack motor oil. We are not going into BFE and service stations will be plentiful. All sell various oils and motor vehicle fluids.

I will have only a few spare parts. I want my packing to be light as possible.
    Spare Fuses, spare Alternator belt, 2 spare headlight bulbs (high/low beam).

CamelBack Hydration System
    Rain Gear
    2 Dry Bags
    Heated Vest
    Toilet Paper
    Wet Wipes (for bugs on face shield)
    Gore-Tex Columbia hiking boots to dub as riding boots, flip flops
    Clothes, and personal effects
    Laundry Facilities will be avail. so no real need to pack for the whole # of days we will be there.
    Paperwork and documentation

I do not own a GPS. If any of you have one [​IMG] It could come in handy!
    I will have maps etc... Route is fairly straight-forward.

Details of mexican insurance and border crossing procedures will follow as get closer.

Is it time to leave yet? [​IMG]

Some feedback from another member (old posts yr. 2006) on the route from Laredo, TX down:
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...ght=guanajuato
  5. acejones

acejones Long timer

Oddometer:
    You might check the Hotel santa Fe in GTO. Its on the Jardin Union. Thats about as downtown as you can get.
  6. mars

mars Starbucks anyone?

Oddometer:
    Pictures from the area. I will write some descriptions if any one is interested.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  7. 97Octane

Oddometer:
    Mars,

Can you please describe the rooms, the rates and the security of the parking for bikes?
  8. mars

mars Starbucks anyone?

Oddometer:
    Since you asked, I will reply.

San Miguel De Alende (its been about 5 years) every time I go back to that area I stay at Casa Carmen 415 2 08 44. They will let you park your bikes in the courtyard and its about 2 blocks from the town square.
    [​IMG]
    Courtyard where you can park your bikes
    [​IMG]
    Local residents
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Day trip to Guanajuato
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Dolores Hidalgo in the morning. This is worth a trip because it’s the birthplace of the Mexican revolution. It's right between the Guanajuato and San Miguel. San Miguel was also a keystone of the revolution and the museum is most worth the time.
    [​IMG]
    I always add a couple of days to any trip to the area to spend some time reading a book in the courtyard of Casa Carmen. I like to start the day with a trip to the town square in the morning for a few belts of tequila then an afternoon of reading with a different restaurant each evening and more drink. This is a group I traveled with in 2000.
    [​IMG]
    I would recommend that you enter at Harlingen and travel through to Victoria and stay at the Hotel Valles 01-138 2 00 22. It’s a very nice place.
    [​IMG]
    And my favorite of the whole trip, Hacienda Santa Engracia 131-4-26-79 or 90-131-7-16-29. This is a hacienda that was in service during the days of Spanish royalty and contains some amazing relics of the past. There was a room full of armor from Scotland with the name Wallace inscribed all over the place. The rooms are full of period furniture that’s got to be 300 years old.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This hotel is north of Victoria and a great stopping place on the way south.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I don’t have any pictures handy but there are ruins of a mad Englishman called Sir Edward James who created an unbelievable mansion in the mountains south of Victoria. It’s worth a trip also. I hate hearing about trips to the area that are made in haste, when in Mexico please taste all of the goodies.
  9. jimmex

jimmex Guero con moto Supporter

Oddometer:
    There is a good chance that you will be killed, barbecued, and eaten by cannibals.
    Don't risk it!!
  10. acejones

acejones Long timer

Oddometer:
    as to whether you can roll up and get a room; it depends on the town, and whether or not its a holiday. You should plan in advance as some holidays are regional
  11. daveg

daveg no longer homeless

Oddometer:
    I'm going to be heading to Aguascalientes (100 miles E of san luis potosi) on that identical schedule on my wee. I'd like to join you for the couple of days of the ride. It'd be nice to meet some fellow Texans/houstonians who enjoy visiting our southerly neighbors.

I don't have a firm plan yet, well, honestly, I'll never really have a firm plan.. BUT I do know that we're going to end up in Aguascalientes and then do some riding in the mountians/desert in that area for the long 9 day week.
  12. 97Octane

Oddometer:
    Absolutely! I would be great to ride down with you as well.

The wife and I have been looking at homes in the heights as well (noticed thats where you live). Maby we can hook up for a bottle of wine or beer one night over at Onion Creek and talk about the trip! You going by yourself or with a group of people?

We live downtown Houston by the baseball stadium. I see that you have a Nikon D70 as well. :thumb I think we will get along just fine.
  13. Gringacho

Gringacho Una Aventura Loca

Oddometer:
    97Octane. I'm still trying to find a way to hook up with you all. Unfortunately it might be in Mexico when you all are headed back Northbound. I'll leave my job Friday the 31st of August and with being out of the country for 6-8 months i'll probably need a couple of days to get my last minute things together before my trip/wedding down south. I'm realistically thinking of a departure out of Atlanta near September 4-5 and crossing the border close to the 7th.

I'm still hoping to cross paths for a beer in Mejico, but will know more later!! Orale!! :freaky
  14. pecos

pecos BAM!!

Oddometer:
    We are planning to cross the border on a Saturday early morning. Maybe 6am or so. Maybe earlier.

How long should be estimated to cross the border? Are there busy times vs less busy times?
  15. 97Octane

Oddometer:

From my understanding, at Laredo the border processing is open 24 hrs. Earlier is better, but I could only imagine that Friday evening would be a mad house going from US - Mexico at that border point. Saturday AM and will schedule about 2 hrs. to get the job done. Could take 1 hr. could take 3. Estimate for 2. :thumb

BTW Pecos, are you planning on going on this ride, or another with other folks at a different time?
  16. pecos

pecos BAM!!

Oddometer:
    Happyjack, Cookie(middle brother) and I are doing another trip, same time as yours.

We just got back from the TAT, so now we are focusing on Mex.
  17. pecos

pecos BAM!!

Oddometer:
    octane, have you thought about camping?
  18. 97Octane

Oddometer:
    No... I am spoiled. I will fork over the coin to have a little luxury and a hot shower. :freaky

Plus, I am going 2 Up, and dont want to haul all the extra shit for camping. I like to be light and pack more clothing to be clean and comfy.
  19. 97Octane

Oddometer:
    OK, heres the scoop.

Finding a hotel in downtown Guanajuato in the center of the action that meets my criteria indicated below: has proved to be quite a challenge.
    1.) Has secured parking for motorbikes
    2.) Is under $100 a night
    With that said, I found one, so I am staying on the side of town at Hacienda de Cobos. It’s about $50 per night for 2 people. This is a bargain in this town... trust me. I emailed almost all of ‘em and read reviews on the hotels. There are virtually no hotels in the center of town that has parking for anywhere near this price, so we can wing it from here. Once we are there, if you want to move or can find a better one, I will be happy to move as I am very flexible. Its difficult to make a decision, but a decision has to be made.

Pictures are available here:
    http://guanajuatocapital.com/espanol/Hcobos.htm

The address is:
    Hotel Hacienda de Cobos
    Calle Padre Hidalgo No. 3 y Avenida Juárez No. 153
    Zona Centro, C.P. 36000
    Teléfono: +52 (473) 732 0350 y 732 9270
    Fax: +52 (473) 732 0143
    E-mail: gtolamaru@hotmail.com

Ask for rooms for the “Adventure Rider group” :thumb: To get an actual confirmation number is a complicated process, but demand one over the phone, or email. just tell em your a group under the name with Billy Downey and want a room in promimity on the first floor near the parking area. They have a guard as well, so no issues there.

This should keep us all near one another, and on the ground floor next to the parking area.

I will have an emergency contact form I will be emailing to everyone for you to fill out. Copies of this information will be exchanged at the beginning of the ride so that everyone has everyone else’s information in the event of an emergency or of your unfortunate incarceration in the Mexican pokey for doing something dumb while intoxicated. “Include your attorneys info as well if you anticipate having this type of problem”.

20. daveg

daveg no longer homeless

Oddometer:
    The times I crossed by bike in Laredo I did it at the Columbia Crossing -- off of the toll road 255. We did it on a Saturday at about 9 am. There was NOBODY in line and we sped to the border. This is apparently a newer crossing and isn't as busy as the main Laredo crossing.

It was a good thing that there was nobody there because we had no clue of what we were doing and didn't have the propper copies of documents for vehicle importation. It cost us another 2-3 USD. If we had the proper copies and knew what we were doing, the whole crossing would have taken about 20 mins, but since we didn't, it took an extra 10-20 mins. Still-- we were out in <45 mins, so it wasn't bad at all.

It is a good idea to have some spanish language skills, as no one on the Mx side of the border spoke any english. Hell, when I said goodbye to the US guard, that was the last english I spoke for 3 days except to my riding buddy.

Here is a link for the location of the crossing:
    http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v...t=-90&dir=0&alt=-1000&scene=8252696&encType=1

Another thing is to make sure that you have motorcycle insurance (seguros) before you get to the border. We looked for 2 hours for moto insurance until I asked a couple of different police officers if it was mandatory (it isn't). All the little "seguros" stores only sold insurance for cars.