Mexico Trip - Destination Guanajuato Sep 1-8

Discussion in 'Latin America' started by 97Octane, Jun 13, 2007.

1. Lone Rider

Lone Rider Registered User

Oddometer:
    Sanborns can provide moto insurance, but they are over-priced when compared to the multiple online insurance sources.
  2. 97Octane

97Octane Defining Mediocrity

Oddometer:
    I just purchased my insurance today for the trip. Used mexadventure.com to get my policy. :deal
  3. 97Octane

Oddometer:
    One other thing.... its a biggie.

If you call to make a reservation, please note that this hotel does not take credit cards. Therefore, you may get some BS about wiring some coin to their bank to secure the reservation. Dont do this. I have spoke with Laura Ruiz and Alejandro Ruiz about this, so just drop my name and tell em your in our group. Request 1st floor room, next to parking area and ask for a confirmation number. We will pay in cash when we get there. If theres any grief about this when we get there, I will have a backup plan (a.k.a backup hotel) ready and waiting.
  4. 97Octane

Oddometer:
  5. pecos

pecos BAM!!

Oddometer:
    What type of coverage did you get? Full or just liability? How much on liability?

Our bikes are not worth much, so if they slide off the mountain, that's ok. We just need liability.
  6. 97Octane

Oddometer:
    Full coverage, with medi-vac, legal assistance etc... 9 days platinum policy coverage for the GS was $107. No clue on liability only, it wasnt a consideration for me. Go online an get a quote, it will take you less than 4 mins to get a quote. Easy as pie.
  7. Gustavo

Gustavo Motociclista Errante

Oddometer:
    It's not BS, it's pretty standard at smaller hotels that do not take CC. :deal

This is common in Mexico because banks charge very little or no fee at all internally. Not so when you need to transfer from the US, you may end up paying more for the transfer than the hotel costs. You did the right thing, explain to them that it costs too much to wire from the US, usually they'll keep your reservation without the deposit. The only places that insisted on a deposit were in the busy tourist towns where high demand allows them to insist on their deposit up front or no reservation.

Gustavo
  8. Happyjack

Happyjack 300 pound gorilla

Oddometer:
    Right, anyone know how far it is from Monterey to El Tajin (Xalapa)?

I read just under 600 miles off the map, but I was wondering how long a ride that is with the mountains and all. Daylight ride do-able?

If not do-able, recommendations on a midpoint stop point?
  9. pecos

pecos BAM!!

Oddometer:
  10. 97Octane

Oddometer:
    No... I've decided against that now. Since other riders will be going, we will all go through the same process together.
  11. hgulledge

hgulledge Adventurer-of-sorts Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hacienda de Cobos is a nice, inexpensive hotel. One of our members is about to marry a daughter of the family that owns the place. (There are a couple more, guys!) All the rooms have nice baths, towells, TP, etc. Just like at home. One thing: take a flashlight. They turn out all the lights at midnight. Finding your room in the dark after you close half the bars in town is a challenge. And you would be surprised how surly some people can be at 3 am. :D
  12. Gustavo

Oddometer:
    It depends which way you go. If you took the more direct route through Tampico, probably 450 miles.

If you go straight south into the Sierra Gorda 600 miles is likely, again, there are lots of route options that will affect mileage and time. I think going straight down on 85 to Tamazunchale will take you most of the day without accounting for too many stops (pictures, sight-seeing, etc.). Many people like Xilitla as a place to stop, Las Pozas is an interesting place to visit. I prefer Jalpan de Serra for an overnight, but it's a bit of a detour (west of Xilitla on Hwy 120). From either of those, the fast way to El Tajin is through Huejutla de Reyes and then Alamo to Poza Rica.

Gustavo
  13. pecos

pecos BAM!!

Oddometer:
    So do you exchange for pesos at your local bank or once you are in mex?
  14. Lone Rider

Lone Rider Registered User

Oddometer:
    Got shocks? :lol3
  15. 97Octane

Oddometer:
    I do not want to be a dick.... but let me be a dick for just a second. :huh

Oh nevermind. I can come across that way sometimes.... err..... most of the time.
  16. Happyjack

Happyjack 300 pound gorilla

Oddometer:
    Sorry Dick: This is not a hijack. I don't want to hurt your feelings, but some of us want to actually ride around Mexico---not go to one spot and and just think about it. :thumb

See my followup question:
    How about the ride back from El Tajin or Xilitla to Guanajuarto? I bet thats a long ride due to mountains. My only concern is if it can be done in a day (one way), so we can get to Guanajuarto.

I guess what I'm wondering is 600 miles in northeastern Mexico the same as 600 miles in the US, ie:road condition/travel time. Or does the traffic/conditions/mountains just slow it all down. I have a map that shows mileage and time estimates between routes. It will show things like 4 hrs for 229 miles, Ciudad Victoria to Tampico.
  17. pecos

pecos BAM!!

Oddometer:
    Dick, this is not a hi jack. I am simply asking questions. General questions at that. My questions are all about mexico. We are not stealing your thunder or your other riders.

What's funny is that my last post I was thinking about PMing you b/c I too thought I was asking too many questions. But then I thought....I asked that question in the 2/3 page and you did not answer it. So I am just following up. Answer questions the first time around and it will keep the post count low.

I think you even mentioned this was Mexico 101. So what is it gonna be?

You and I have PMed each other offline and you seem like a swell guy.

Last week Happyjack says, "Hey why don't we swing by and see Octane and his posse for a night"...."have some beers with other ADVers"

Why should we? So then Octane can say "stop following me"

Still wondering about the pesos...
  18. Gustavo

Oddometer:
    It's not even close, unless you are riding major toll highways. I usually figure roughly an average of 40 MPH is good pace in the mountains. Often you can't even make that as a daily average, depending on your route choices (see comment from LR about suspension on the Huejutla to Alamos section) and if you are in tourist mode vs. get there mode. You are reading the map wrong. It's 4 hours for 229 kilometers, not miles, which comes out to about 35 MPH. :deal

If I wasn't worried about getting chewed out by the high octane guy for this tangent, I'd tell you the fast way is going through Pachuca, San Juan del Rio, Irapuato to Guanajuato (using highways when possible), or taking the more scenic route would be through Pachuca, Tequisquiapan, San Miguel de Allende, Dolores Hidalgo to Guanajuato. It's about 400 miles, mostly on major roads (first option) so it's doable in a day. If you go back through the mountains (Xilitla), you'll likely run out of day light before you get to Guanajuato. But since I don't feel like getting chewed out, I wont. :augie

Gustavo
  19. Gustavo

Oddometer:
    I wasn't thinking of the direct route. I wouldn't do that to them. No really... :augie

I was thinking going north from Huejutla to Tantoyuca and then come back south, that's a major road, and it's probably as fast as trying the "short cut" to Alamo...

Gustavo
  20. 97Octane

Oddometer:
    Ok... yesterday was a bad day for me. I apologize if I came across as a dick :wink:

Work is killing me, Im about to leave for Alaska, will be out for 10 days, then will have only 2 weeks to prepare for Mexico. S-i-g-h.....
    '
    Lots going on. If you still want to swing by, I'd be happy to welcome fellow Adv Riders to do so.