Mexico Trip - Destination Guanajuato Sep 1-8

Discussion in 'Latin America' started by 97Octane, Jun 13, 2007.

1. 97Octane

97Octane Defining Mediocrity

Oddometer:
    ATM once inside Mexico. Rates are very good from ATM's. You will "typically" get better rates from ATM's than you will than exchanging at banks in person or OTC. Just be sure to hide your ATM card in your underwear. You definately dont want to loose or get that one clept.
  2. 97Octane

Oddometer:
    :rofl:lol3 :rofl
  3. Happyjack

Happyjack 300 pound gorilla

Oddometer:
    Thanks Gustavo! Thats what I suspected, about the route and timing.
  4. DesertSeeker

DesertSeeker Beto

Oddometer:
    97Octane,

I live in San Luis Potosí, just let me know if you need something here, I think it's a good idea to check your hotel reservations for that day in San Luis, because is the final weekend of the state fair and some times it gets crowded.

Have you consider visiting Real de 14 on your way down here?, It is about 40 minutes from Matehuala and it's really nice to visit.

If you need more info just send me a PM.
  5. DesertSeeker

DesertSeeker Beto

Oddometer:
    It's about 7 or 8 hours riding, it can be done in one day, but you need to consider that the highways are in not so good conditions.

When are you planing to do this? I drove a lot from San Luis to Pozarrica, that is the town where you need to stay when visiting tajin.

Mid points can be Tampico or Ciudad Valles, depending on the route you decide to take.
  6. daveg

daveg no longer homeless

Oddometer:
    Octane,
    Real de Catorce is the place I was talking to you about-- I went there a few months ago. It is a nice drive and I agree it would make a great daytrip. I'm in the middle of editing some tape for a ride report, but it isn't done yet. . I do have our tip-over reel though =] At the end, you see the cool tunnel that you have to go through to get to the town.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYO4J7ssZ38

The drive could easily be made by all types of bikes. There is a cobble-stone road for about 25kms, but it isn't a problem unless it is wet.

Daveg
  7. Tropicseed

Tropicseed Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just stumbled across this thread -- I live in the Mexican village of Ajijic, about 30 miles south of Guadalajara on the shore of the beautiful Lake Chapala.

If you'd like to see photos of Guanajuato, I was there recently and posted some to my website, check them out here.

I also recently rode up to the USA on my previous bike, a Moto Guzzi Sport1100i and traded it in on an '08 KLR650, you can see my log and photos also on my website.

So if it's ok with the group leader I may zip over to Guanajuato and join you there! Either way you're all more than welcome to stop by my place and check out Lake Chapala - there are many great roads in the area, both paved and unpaved. You're welcome to spend the night at my place as long as there aren' toooo many in the group!

cheers & hope we can meet up
    patrick
  8. PhilSpace

PhilSpace The Ex-Gov

Oddometer:
    Welcome Patrick, it looks like you have it made down there :jkam
  9. 97Octane

Oddometer:
    Patrick,

No one has confirmed a day or overnight trip to Guadalajara with me. Once we get there, it s do your own thing. I dont mind leading overnight trips, but it owuld be the blind leading the blind with me. My wife and definately are, and would like you plan on stopping by to visit and take you up on your offer possibly. SO.... it would only be 2 people. Whatcha ridin?
  10. westnash

westnash Long timer

Oddometer:
    Its a nice looking hotel and good price....everyone says GTO is a confusing place to ride around so if this hotel is easy to find and has parking it is worthwhile......do you have a maps or directions to it?

If you wish to see many Americans and other tourists continue to San Miguel de Allende...it might be worthwhile for a break and to see some buildings but it is far too gringo and all ready with time share sales and many ways to relive you from your money as well as confusing downtown riding and not much parking.

For the previous poster considering an ST 13, it is no problem....premium gas is not always available but if you are on toll road you will find it...$$$$$$$$.
  11. Happyjack

Oddometer:
    97Octane;

will you still keep to the schedule if Huricaine Dean hits the Mexican Gulf Coast?
  12. daveg

daveg no longer homeless

Oddometer:
    I can't think of any reason why we should not continue with the trip. The "Top 5 Models" that wunderground publishes suggests that Dean will most likely hit the coat of Mexico and continue inland into the general area that we're going to be in. While it may be a very difficult time for the coast, I think the inland area is going to be fine-- just lots and lots of rain. Plus, we're not going to get there until a week later. So I see no reason to adjust the plans.

Hurricanes are a bitch.
  13. 97Octane

Oddometer:
    :thumb

Exactly what Dave said. I see no reason in postponing the trip at all. If it hits Mexico, it hits it. The route is inland enough that I bet we wouldnt see any trace of hurricane damage at all. Rain... perhaps, but I bets its fine. We wouldnt be adventure riders if we let a few rain clouds get in the way of the journey.

*Dave... just got back from Alaska yesterday. Wanna hook up for a beer this weekend?
  14. pecos

pecos BAM!!

Oddometer:
    You guys will be pretty far inland staying in one stop. We will be closer to the coast.
  15. 97Octane

Oddometer:
    Other thing is, the route not only being more inland on Highway 57, but 57 is on the western side of the Sierra Madre Ocidental Mountain range. The uplift of weather i.e. Tropical storm rains getting an uplift to go over the mountains there will likely dump the majority (I hope) of water on the eastern side toward the coastal plains = not in our direct path. But I hope it goes ahead and hits landfall sooner rather than later anyway. The chances of all that rain lingering around for a whole week anyway is not likely.

[​IMG]
  16. Happyjack

Oddometer:
    I wasn't so conderned about rain or the weather. its the infrastructure, sewage, flooding, etc that hangs around after.

plus no power, no water, nothing

may as well go camping with my friend Mr. Cholera

Inland and western side probably no issues, but Tampico & Poza Rica...:cry Maybe it will a cat2 or less by then
  17. 97Octane

Oddometer:
    Its ok... I'm bringing my own TP wiff meh :shrug
  18. Lone Rider

Lone Rider Registered User

Oddometer:
    That's funny. :D

The Yucatan might be a flooded mess in areas. Poor Costa Maya.. :cry Hwy 186 could be a cluster fck for a while, parts of N Tabasco, too. IIRC, the Emerald Coast got blasted pretty hard 7 or so years ago.

I'd go there in a heart beat. It's r e a l.
  19. Happyjack

Oddometer:

Well, we definitely all want to be r e a l.
    Lord knows, there's a lot of fakeness around here.

Lets go!:rofl
  20. Happyjack

Oddometer:
    Anyone got a weather udate and post huricaine conditions for vicinity of Tampico to Veracruz?

what was the result of the weather system making landfall?

problems?