Mexico Virgin

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Cro59, Oct 1, 2019.

1. Cro59

Cro59 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Something in that range. I’m just starting, so not entirely sure what I’m looking for yet. I do need to find a way to carry a bike though.
    Romero likes this.
  2. Romero

Romero At Cinépolis or OXXO

Oddometer:
    Ours is a Grand Banks..never loaded my bike - but it is a twin screw diesel... So it would take the DRZ easy - if you want a wind powered boat I would go over 30'
    Also a davit that can lift bike is to be considered.
    I would guess that a lot of boats down there are US reg. Hmmmm Thats a whole interesting thread to be started.
    Ours goes Seattle to Alaska twice of year, never left that area.
    Keep us posted, curious to see if you find something.
    mitchapalooza and Cro59 like this.
  3. Cro59

Cro59 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Maybe I’ll start a new trend.
    mitchapalooza and Romero like this.
  4. Little Bike

Little Bike Air/Clutz Sue Supporter

Oddometer:
    What a beautiful town! Unfortunately, my Mom has expressed enough negative emotions towards me riding Mexico solo that I think it would actually affect her health if I went. :(
  5. Cro59

Cro59 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Honestly, it’s not so different than riding around in Arizona. Different money, more Spanish, but very similar otherwise.
    severely likes this.
  6. Little Bike

Oddometer:
    My Mom is unreasonably terrified of Mexico.
  7. RedDogAlberta

RedDogAlberta High Plains Drifter

Oddometer:
    My mother is the same. A niece was nearly getting married there and my mother indicated very clearly she wouldn't go. The wedding actually took place on a beach in Jamaica and even that was attended under staunch protest.
    Little Bike and Cro59 like this.
  8. Romero

Oddometer:
    Weddings and riding in Nairobi...dangerous
    Mexico not so much.
    YMMV
    Cro59 likes this.
  9. Cro59

Cro59 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    WARNING: This post contains non-motorcycle content. If this offends you then move along to another thread.

You have been warned!

Okay, the main point of this trip was to look at boats, so you’re going to get a few damned boat pictures and like it. That said, I don’t want to get booted to the basement, so I’ll just give you a taste.

Spent the day looking at a lot of these things.

30’ Hunter (2003). Nice but a bit cramped and pretty basic. Still, I can see myself living in her.
    [​IMG]

Moved along to an early 90’s, 38’ Freedom, with no cable stays on her carbon fiber mast. Nice, roomy interior, and pretty much turn key but could use some freshening up inside. She was better outfitted and cheaper than the Hunter.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I think I’m over my RV obsession for now. Both of these boats are tens of thousands less than the Class B RVs I’ve been looking at and much nicer. Granted the cost of ownership is more, but I’ve always been drawn to sailing. It’s just one of those things that never fit into life. Maybe now it does.

The big question is how to combine sailing and ADV. I’m seriously considering installing a hatch above the forward salon and turning it into a garage in order to keep the bike out of the salt spray. Or just strap a cheap 150cc dirt bike on the deck and wrap it well.

Heading out tomorrow for Bahia Kino. If I like it then I’ll stay the night. The plan is to stay as close to the coast as possible, hopefully finding some dirt to play in, and make my way to Puerto Peñasco in a couple of days. I’m sure there are more sailboats to look at there and maybe I can fit in that dive that I missed out on today.

Anyway, to keep everyone happy, there was some riding today.
    [​IMG]
  10. Romero

Oddometer:
    I'm still in
    Cro59 likes this.
  11. Cro59

Cro59 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :imaposer
    :photog
    :muutt
  12. Romero

Oddometer:
    Where would you sail to? - I've seen sailboats in the craziest places all over the world. I think catamaran might be another option.
    Cro59 likes this.
  13. Little Bike

Oddometer:
    No, boat pics are good. I love boats. Besides, it’s your ride report, if you want to look at boats on your ride and post about them then do it.
  14. Little Bike

Oddometer:
    It’s funny because we’re planning a trip to Egypt, where they occasionally bomb tourist buses.
  15. Cro59

Cro59 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That’s hilarious. People worry about Mexico but go to Israel and Egypt. Typical American there.
    Little Bike likes this.
  16. Cro59

Cro59 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A catamaran would be great, but more expensive and probably more boat than I need. Where I sail depends on the boat. Right now, the idea is to get a coastal cruiser to explore the lifestyle and gain experience. After a couple of years, if I want to play in the blue water then I can upgrade. Even a coastal boat gives me all of the western and eastern coasts of the Americas and the Caribbean. That could keep me busy for the rest of my life, especially with a bike for shore based ventures.

The boat might not happen, but it’s something that’s been in the back of my mind since I was a kid reading about Magellan and the golden age of oceanic exploring.
    Donaldo likes this.
  17. Yinzer Moto

Yinzer Moto aka: trailer Rails Supporter

Oddometer:
    Any chance in putting the bike on the stern of the boat? Using a hitch style rack that would be on the back of a truck. Then a loading ramp could be used to load/unload the bike to the dock. A more disposable bike would probably be ideal because of the rust issue. Also getting a lighter bike down the docks and on the board would be easier.
    Cro59 likes this.
  18. markherman

markherman Louisianaman Supporter

Oddometer:
    Whatever you find and buy make sure you check thoroughly for termites. Yes termites, if any wood is below deck.
    Cro59 likes this.
  19. Dan Diego

Dan Diego Long timer

Oddometer:
    So it turns out you’re NOT a Mexico virgin. Mentiras!

But it’s not first time I’ve been lied to with a line like that...
    Cro59 likes this.
  20. Cro59

Cro59 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    But it’s the first time I did it this way...
    :killen
    Dan Diego likes this.