Mexico Virgin

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Cro59, Oct 1, 2019.

1. Cro59

Cro59 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Less spray up front. Larger boats in my range hang their dingy from the stern. I could certainly find a way to hang a bike instead, but the salt spray would be terrible and unloading would be a challenge.

The ideal method is to carry below decks, but I’d have to move up to a much larger boat to find something that was set up that way or modify it somehow. Anything longer than say 33’ or 10m would have deck space for something like the WRR, but protecting the bike is problematic.
    Yinzer Moto likes this.
  2. Cro59

Cro59 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I was walking around last night looking for food and I heard someone playing the piano. I’m kind of a sucker for piano music, so I went in and this guy is playing to an empty dining room. He was good and really getting into it, totally unconcerned that he was playing for the staff and a bunch of empty seats. Turns out the guy plays here (Tortugas) on Fridays and with his jazz group at Sunset Grill on Sundays. He’s good. Go see him if you are in the area. Omar Arriaga, www.omararriaga.mx, or on FB he is Omar Arriaga Musician.

By the way, the prime rib special at Tortugas is fantastic. It’s more of a rib eye steak that had to be at least two pounds. Delicious. Go there, eat it, and enjoy the music.
    Little Bike likes this.
  3. Cro59

Cro59 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Three hour hot drive to Bahía Kino. The rumors of diving here were unfounded. No commercial dive outfits as near as I can tell. Everyone says to go to San Carlos to dive. Well, damn.

Got a hotel and will spend the night. Not sure if I’ll continue along the coast or head back to San Carlos. Puerto Peñasco seems to be a busier more expensive version of San Carlos. Not sure it’s worth the effort and it’s frankly too damn hot and there are too damn many mosquitoes to entertain beach camping my way north.

I’m open to suggestions if anyone is familiar with this part of Mexico. Should I blast across to Baja or go hang out in San Carlos? I have to be back in Tuesday by Thursday at the latest so La Paz is probably too far.
  4. Romero

Romero At Cinépolis or OXXO

Oddometer:
    I believe that @Tricepilot is a diver.
    Might be an inmate to get in touch with.
  5. Cro59

Cro59 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Even though Bahia Kino is not all that I’d hoped to be, all is not lost. These things happen, especially when you improvise. Anyway, the fish tacos and sopa de marisco were excellent and the sunset was stunning.

I’m not sure if I’ll continue up the coast or backtrack to San Carlos. I sent a few emails to see if I can schedule some dives and more boat tours, so I’ll see what sort of response I get in the morning. Honestly, if it wasn’t for the damned mosquitoes then I’d be feeling more adventurous, but I don’t want to spend a night on the beach getting eaten alive. I’m turning into such a wimp in my old age.

Typical ADV hotel scene.
    [​IMG]

This one is held together by duct tape and bailing wire.
    [​IMG]

The little one was having the time of her life.
    [​IMG]

And, the sunset. I should get a real camera one of these days.
    [​IMG]
  6. Cro59

Cro59 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    One more thing in Bahia Kino’s favor is that they have an actual coffee shop. It’s quite nice actually. I stopped in here yesterday and met an expat gringo. As it turns out, there is a ferry to Santa Rosalina, Baja from Guaymas, which is a few miles from San Carlos. Unfortunately, they only run Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday, and by the time I found out about it, I would have been riding up right before the 8 pm departure. Too bad. Had I known, I would have planned to ride it yesterday and spent the rest of the trip in Baja. The reason this is important information is because this ferry is within the “no vehicle permit required” zone. The only other ferry I know of sails from Mazatlan to La Paz, and you need to import your vehicle to go down to Mazatlan. Just something to file away in your database.

Today’s plan, such as it is, is to make my way up to Puerto Libertad. From there it is either continue north and west, or head back to San Carlos. I’ve got more boat appointments lined up there and am working on some dives. We’ll see.
    imherefortheride likes this.
  7. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
  8. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    Cro59 likes this.
  9. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
  10. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
  11. Cro59

Cro59 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    @eakins thanks for the recommendations. I’ve been playing around on the coast today and will make my way back to San Carlos.

Barracuda Bobs is the best. I’ll check out the ride and hike.
  12. Cro59

Cro59 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Another long, hot day. Did I mention that it’s damn hot? Today was kind of a play day. I just wanted to explore the coast a bit and make my way back to San Carlos. I thought I’d take the dirt roads out of town to reconnect with SON100.

I guess they’ve had a couple of storms roll through, because this happened.
    [​IMG]

Okay, back to the pavement through town, find the dirt again, and this happened.
    [​IMG]

I was torn whether to go on or turn back. I walked to the top and knew the bike could make it, but the surface was shifty and this was right at the edge of my big bike limit. With the WRR I wouldn’t hesitate, but the CBX is well over 100 pounds heavier and I’m riding alone. I made the sensible choice and turned around, which is another sure sign that I’m getting old. It’s all good, because that meant I had to ride past the coffee shop again.

Once I was suitably caffeinated, I hopped back on the 100 and headed north. Funny thing, a cop stopped me. He asked where I was going. I said I was going to Puerto Libertad. He shook his head and wagged a finger at me and said, “No Puerto Libertad.” Eh, I waited until he left and carried on my way.

Another reason you don’t outride your sight line and braking distance.
    [​IMG]
    The road was in good enough shape, but a lot of the surrounding countryside was washed onto the road.

[​IMG]

The next town was Punta Chueca. That’s where the road ends, and once you get through town (doesn’t take long) there is mile after mile of this.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

It’s good riding, mostly solid with stretches of sand and some washouts. You can make it through to Puerto Libertad, but there are 40-50 miles of this first. If you get too bored, there’s always the beach. You might even find some shade.
    [​IMG]

I played around until I’d had enough. You could easily find a place to spend the night along the coast, just bring water, food, and refreshments with you. There is a small store in Punta Chuenta if you forget something.

Anyway, I’m back in San Carlos enjoying the air conditioning and cocktails. Enough for the day.
    Westbay likes this.
  13. Cro59

Cro59 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No riding today. Lounged around, looked at a couple of boats, and wondered where the time goes. Can’t complain. I have one more boat to look at in the morning and then I’ll head north. Planning to camp somewhere tomorrow night, maybe in Arizona. This town is absolutely dead during the week. It’s kind of nice and relaxing. Think I’ll go see if Hammerheads is open for business and have a gin and tonic or two.
  14. Cro59

Cro59 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Does anyone know if I can turn in my tourist permit at the Sasabe crossing (between Nogales and Sonoyta)?
  15. Cro59

Cro59 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This may be the solution to the bike issue... Motoped

Kind of a beefed up motorized mountain bike. A realistic solution that could be stowed below and with some creativity could be used as an ultra lightweight ADV bike.

Have to admit that this looks cool. Although, I could do without the crossbow.
    [​IMG]

Or this...
    [​IMG]
  16. Yinzer Moto

Yinzer Moto aka: trailer Rails Supporter

Oddometer:
    While it would not be as manly, you could get a lot more utility out of a scooter. With the added bonus of being somewhat disposable, when the scooter gets too rusty from salt spray, dump it and get another.
  17. Cro59

Cro59 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I’d be down with a scooter or one of these motopeds. If it is small and light enough to wrestle down into the cabin, then I wouldn’t have to worry about salt spray.

Another option is the Di-Blasi foldable scooter.

My idea is to have something to explore beyond the port.
  18. roadcapDen

roadcapDen Ass, Grass or Gas, no free rides.

Oddometer:
    Hot damn, I likey Motopeds!
    Cro59 likes this.
  19. Cro59

Cro59 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yeah, check out some of the YouTube videos. I think I could find a way to carry one of those on a boat.
    roadcapDen likes this.
  20. Cro59

Cro59 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Been a busy couple of days without the time or internet to finish this up, so here we go.

I made it back to San Carlos on Sunday night and checked into the MarinaTerra Hotel again. I remember boats, gin and tonic, and probably food. What I don’t remember is diving. Why? Well, it seems that diving is not a big industry here. I know, I know, that’s crazy talk, but none of the dive shops had enough people to go out. This is one hundred and eighty degrees out from Roatan and other places I like to frequent. Ah, well, there’s always next time.

Anyway, I decided to head out on Tuesday, but first there was one more boat to look at. This would prove to be my favorite of all of them and I was (and still am) tempted to put an offer on it. I mean, yeah, I’ve never sailed a boat before and it’s at least three months before I can get back, but what could possibly go wrong?

She is a Hunter Vision 36’ sailboat.
    [​IMG]

I really like the interior layout. All in all she is in good shape, but needs some cosmetic work.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Just like motorcycles, there are always good deals out there. I do like this one, but I’m not in a hurry. If I lose it, then another one will come along. The truth is that I have some more research to do before I commit to a sailboat. I think it will happen, I just don’t know when.

So, I looked at the boat Tuesday morning, and after lunch began the long slog back north. I wanted some mountain time and trail riding. It was 6 PM by the time I hit the border and dark before I resupplied and made it out of Nogales. I figured that I could find a place to sleep near Patagonia or Sonoita.

I finally found a place off of a Forest Service road south of Sonoita.
    [​IMG]

And it wasn’t long before a had the fire going.
    [​IMG]

Of course, the whole reason I wanted to camp out was for this.
    [​IMG]

Rib eye, portobello mushroom, yellow chilies, a sweet potato, and some red wine. It doesn’t get much better than that.
    jonz, joenuclear and Drybones like this.