Mexico

Discussion in 'Latin America' started by MagicBean, Feb 13, 2010.

1. MagicBean

MagicBean El Diablo Blanco

Oddometer:
    My girlfriend and I left Maine on Jan 1st, bikes in a Uhaul till Jersey, then rode down the east coast, along the gulf to Texas and into Mexico. With zero itinerary, we planned on spending the winter in the Yucatan, but had a slightly unnerving 3 days in Mexico. Neither of the Mexican checkpoints in Nuevo Laredo stopped us, just waved us through. We showed absolutely no I.D. to anyone, no proof of bike ownership, nada. We traveled to Monterrey and Montemorelos. We met great people, very helpful, but many of them said we are crazy for taking this trip. Naturally skeptical and not prone to worry, I began second guessing the overall safety of Mexico. The night before we stayed in Montemorelos there was a 20 minute gunfight, "like in the movies" the locals told us, tres muertos. We went back to the border town of Reynosa in the morning to get our paperwork straightened out and, albeit towns and signs are a bit confusing in Mexico, found ourselves somehow completely bypassing Mexico immigration and clearly in a wrong lane, the century lane which is for pass holders who travel across the border regularly. The U.S. officials looked at our passports, told us not to use that lane anymore, and that was it. We accidentally find ourselves in Texas again. Now were camping and getting intermittent rooms in the Brownsville and South Padre Island area, with a general plan of trying again, this time heading down the gulf coast to the Yucatan instead of a meandering route inland. I still don't think it's super dangerous, but my girlfriend is much less confident. I've traveled in Mexico twice before and had a great experience, just wondering if things have changed that much. What do y'all think?
  2. ontheborder

ontheborder Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    just kept on riding south!
  3. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Let's try this in RF: Latin america.
  4. Tricepilot

Tricepilot Bailando Con Las Estrellas Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I think the Taco Bell in Port Isabel sells a killer bean & cheeze burrito.

That's what I think.
  5. Gustavo

Gustavo Motociclista Errante

Oddometer:
    Really? Killer burritos at Taco Hell? :eek1

I'd eat from a woman selling burritos on the streets of Tepito any day before walking into a Taco Hell. :deal Assuming I was crazy enough to visit Mexico, that is... :evil

Gustavo
  6. Pedro Navaja

Pedro Navaja Long timer

Oddometer:
    shuco?- I see your Guatemalan is getting better you puro shumo :rofl

BTW, if you make it to the city, see if you can spot my old military school. It looks like a castle. It's on Avenida La Reforma in Zona 10. The building is still there though they moved the school to San Juan Sacatepequez. When are you getting citizenship? I mean you been there a while now bro.
  7. Tricepilot

Oddometer:
    When I order the bean and cheeze burrito, I ask them to hold the beans and hold the cheeze.​

That's what I think
  8. Throttlemeister

Throttlemeister Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    You can either listen to what people "tell you" or you can go find out for yourself. It does sound like you need to go read up or ask someone who knows how to check yourselves and your bike(s) into Mexico:deal Go prepared its not that hard.

The most danger is where the most people are- get out of the big cities, especially the border towns, and out in the country where your alone and you shouldn't have near the amount of gunfights.

Mexico isn't for everyone, but its fine for me, gunfights and all plus all the BS people warn me about.

Good luck with your travels where ever you end up.
  9. Tricepilot

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
  10. Pedro Navaja

Pedro Navaja Long timer

Oddometer:
    Taco-Loco? Some travelers need to eat a Taco-Moco! :D
  11. pax maac

pax maac Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    With regards to no one stopping you, paperwork, etc.-

Mexico is BIG on personal responsibility. They won't hold your hand through everything, but they fully expect you to know what you need to do and if you don't do it, they expect you to pay the price. Ignorance of the law/rules is not an excuse.

That said, find out what you need to do/where you need to go to enter and get your bike processed legally, and then do it. Ask people here, ask at the border, don't expect to see any signs telling you what you need to do or where to go. It just doesn't work that way down here.

I used to live in the Yucatan, and I highly recommend you get your butt out there. If you can't convince the lady, leave her and go yourself. Beautiful part of the world. I wouldn't have left but 4 years of all that heat and humidity took a toll on my health.
  12. crashmaster

crashmaster ow, my balls!

Oddometer:
    Wow, I wasnt sure of the spelling of my "Guatemalan" but you caught the post before I deleted it. :rofl

Well I apply for residency this week, then citizenship is next week. :clap Yeah the city, wow. Words cannot describe Guate. I've seen some interesting cities around the world but I will never forget Guate. I did see some really smokin hot hookers, uh, er I mean, "relaxation therapists" there. :tb

My vehicle permit runs out mid March, so I'll be oscar-mike by then hopefully. :strum

I did run into a little problem though because now I only have 1 year and 5 months left to travel. Hell, I'll be lucky to make it further than Panama......
  13. Throttlemeister

Throttlemeister Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm looking forward to the party Vince, I just hope you are not in California when I come through:freaky
  14. pilot815

pilot815 Long timer

Oddometer:
    You all passed through montemorelos right after us! We woke up the next morning to hear the news reports of the shooting from where we stayed. I live in edinburg region and can help with permits if needed.
  15. Pedro Navaja

Pedro Navaja Long timer

Oddometer:
    Your spelling was fine. For the uninitiated shuco simply means filthy. However, in Guatemala it is used more than in other countries to describe things in the negative. Shumo is another common word there to describe someone as a dummy. There is a racial & social class origin to it that has faded somewhat, now it's just a common word to describe a dumb ass. Of course Crashy is neither, well maybe he's shuco since he's a dirtbiker at heart :D

Anyways Crashy, nice to see you are picking up the lingo. I really miss my time in Guatemala from my younger years and hope you can stay there as long as you wish. So have you learned to play the marimba yet?
  16. Gustavo

Gustavo Motociclista Errante

Oddometer:
    Or you could have a Moco Loco:
    [​IMG]

Oh, wait, wrong place. I doubt it'll really get a big following in Mexico with that name... :lol3

Gustavo
  17. crashmaster

crashmaster ow, my balls!

Oddometer:
    Viva Moco Loco! I like it! :strum I may have to get some steekers made up. :rofl
  18. hockabigloogy

hockabigloogy Got Buddah?

Oddometer:
    I just got back from a two month trip down there, and we had trouble. But it was our fault. I left my wallet in a shitty run down 200 peso per night hotel. Someone watched, and we were out of the room 10 minutes when i realized i had left my wallet upstairs. Sure enough someone went in with a key, took the wallet and nothing else. YOU JUST DON'T SCREW UP LIKE THAT. People are poor, and are opportunistic. You can't blame them.
    The other problem was my idiot partner did what I told him to never do: make a left turn where it is prohibited (usually in cities where there is lots of local traffic). There were signs. I honked my horn and waved, but he did it in spite of RUSH HOUR morning traffic in downtown Acapulco. There were at least 3 transit cops per block! Idiot!
    Well they pulled him, and the did the mordida- $320 bucks. Stupid FF had a throw away international driving permit from the AAA and he still paid the mordida. He could have given it to the cops, and they would have had nothing. Again- the cops do not make any money, they are looking for stupid acts by rich people (YOU).
    As for the gunfire, I used to hear automatic gunfire in Miami in the 1980's. It don't mean nuthin, unless you are a player (or extremely unlucky as to being in the wrong time at the wrong place).
    Other that that, we had a fabulous time, invited into the homes of locals at Christmas and NewYear's, invited to quinceanyos, christenings of babies, and a few outings to see local sights.
    The food was wonderful, and I long to go back.:clap

I love Oaxaca the most, the the beaches are beautiful, the mountain roads fantastic.
    Veracruz was kind of humid, but the warmth of everyone we met was exceptional. :killen
    I can't wait to go back. So go. Enjoy. Just know the rules, don't do anything stupid.
    And learn the language!:freaky
  19. Tricepilot

Oddometer:
    Excellent post
  20. pilot815

pilot815 Long timer

Oddometer:

Wow, $320 pesos would have been more than enough. I cant believe it cost him that much. Even a drivers license is cheaper to replace. Thats why i travel with 3 expired/temp licenses. They are like my get out of jail free cards!