Mexico

Discussion in 'Latin America' started by MagicBean, Feb 13, 2010.

1. crashmaster

crashmaster ow, my balls!

Oddometer:
    Thats a great post indeed. :thumb Your Mexico cherry is now officially broken. :rofl

That's how you learn the ropes, but man 300 bucks. That cop was shittin in high cotton and wipin with the low leaves........

:D

If I pay a mordida at all I negotiate the payment. At thats only when I fuck up really bad and they got me. Otherwise I play the "lets go to the police station" game or the waiting game.....
  2. hockabigloogy

hockabigloogy Got Buddah?

Oddometer:
    The transit cops in Acapulco have it figured out. He showed me the printed schedule of "cargas", fines, for various infractions, and I was floored. It was worse than the US punitive fines for speeding in Virgina.
    The main drive - causeway around the beach is populated with big box restaurants from America- Like Fridays, McMurders, BuggerKing, and even Hooters. My guess the fat F. took all his copper buddies to Hooters that night.
    The point is that it was really busy, real upscale, and they are looking. The left turn involved was one of the loopy things that turn right, then loop back to cross at a right angle to cross traffic.
    My partner knew he was breaking the law. He did it. Then he badmouthed the cop, and all Mexicans for the rest of the trip.
    I am NEVER riding with him again.
    In fact, another rider that I know who goes to Mexico frequently says that he likes going solo. His reasoning: safety.
    His position is that it is just too dangerous to try to manage city traffic if you have to navigate and watch your partners position.
    I think he has a good point. We did not have communication devices, relying on hand signals.
    It did not work. I compromised my safety to stay close to him. He has not been riding long, and does not understand the importance of flowing with the natural rythym of existing traffic.
    How 'bout you guys, do you go it alone?
  3. Gustavo

Gustavo Motociclista Errante

Oddometer:
    If it seemed high to you, it was bogus (or it was in Pesos and he represented it as US$). Fines in Mexico are typically based on multiples of the minimum wage. Mexican minimum wage. Even when the multiple is high, it can't be anywhere near fines in Virgina (or Oregon, for that matter... :cry).

Gustavo
  4. Tricepilot

Tricepilot Bailando Con Las Estrellas Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    That was actually an old ferry schedule from Topolobampo :wave
  5. markharf

markharf Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You were shown a schedule of fines written in pesos (i.e., the actual currency used by actual Mexicans in their own actual country, abbreviated "$"). Why would a Mexican cop have a schedule of fines written out in US dollars?

Unless, of course, he'd drawn up the list himself. I carry a certain number of fake or photoshopped documents; is there any reason to expect that the local police are any less intelligent than I am?

(Where I come from, we call that a rhetorical question)

Whatever: it's up to you to know that a reasonable fine for a traffic infraction is more like---surprise!---300 pesos, or US$23. This means it can be negotiated on the spot to five bucks or so. When your (ex) partner figures this out and realizes that you were acting just as ignorant as he, you're going to look awfully silly for calling him all those names.

Mark

(from Puerta Natales, heading northward at last)
  6. pilot815

pilot815 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Im very sure thats exactly right. You have to think how many locals could afford a fine like that, and also you dont pay it straight up to the cop. The game is they take your license and you go back to claim it and pay the fine. Easy as that. AND they arent going to be packing a list around in US dollars. How many police stations in the states have you seen that tell you what the fine is in pesos or any other currency? Even here on the US mexico border everything is in dollars.
  7. Pedro Navaja

Pedro Navaja Long timer

Oddometer:
    So where is Magic Bean? I see only two posts, and he has not been back.
  8. pilot815

pilot815 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Lost on the island im sure. If i didnt have work to do id maybe take a trip out there and look for him.
  9. Pedro Navaja

Pedro Navaja Long timer

Oddometer:
    Pretty hard to get lost on Padre. I'm suspecting a dual-identity :evil
  10. hockabigloogy

Oddometer:
    The schedule was in Pesos....I converted it...at a rate of 12.5 pesos per dollar.
    Look, we were trying to leave town, and my idiot partner was scared. I urged him to do the throwaway license thing, as we had discussed in advance.
    He was scared that they somehow would stop him at the border.

Yeah, right!

No one has answered me-
    Do any of you brave guys go it alone?
  11. pilot815

pilot815 Long timer

Oddometer:
    My first trip on motorcycle was into mexico alone.
  12. Pedro Navaja

Pedro Navaja Long timer

Oddometer:
    WTF? Do you read any of the ride reports here? Crashmaster is riding alone, I ride alone, Lone Rider rides alone, bananaman, Sjoerd Baker, MotoAdventureGal, the sercetive ChangoGS motorcycle god of 'em all, lots of others, etc. There's a ton of us here that ride solo. Some ride solo and/or with partners and/or for just part of a segment.
  13. markharf

markharf Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Listen, I'm trying to be generous here in assessing your reading comprehension. You say you saw a list of fines in pesos and converted it to dollars at the current rate. Ok, so you saw a phony list of fines. You should have known it, and the cop in question probably fully expected you to know it (although I admit I haven't been to Acapulco, which was probably your first mistake). Life is simple, and I like simple answers.

But if you need to ask--twice--whether folks here ever travel to Mexico alone, as if that's as cutting-edge as it gets, I'm again left with this subtle, sneaking suspicion that maybe your reading comprehension is not to be blindly trusted. There are thousands of posts here by solo travelers. Tens of thousands, probably. Eight or ten of them even carry my own personal username.

Where ya been?

Mark

(getting ready to venture out--alone!--in search of food, cash, information and wondrous sights of all kinds here in Puerta Natales)
  14. hockabigloogy

Oddometer:
    Wow. Open a vein!

Markharf:

If you looked at my post, you can see I just joined, friend.
    I have not read thousands of posts. Eventually I may read a hundred or twio. I do not know who you are, or any of you for that matter. I did not know I had to pass some arbitrary test of reading comprehension to communicate with a few other riders. A good percentage of posts on this site, and other bike sites are indecipherable anyway- personal inside jokes, trite comments, etc.

Just had interest if whether or not you (not specifically YOU) liked riding alone or in groups.

Thanks for the kind words!
  15. crashmaster

Oddometer:
    Too bad about your riding partner. Riding with an asshat is no fun. Riding with an asshat south of the border is dangerous.

I've met folks like that riding south of the border and they give us all a bad name. Granted I have done some stupid things as well, but in the end I manned up, took my medicine and didnt bitch about it.

You wont have any trouble riding solo. It is a very different experience, but one that I find very enjoyable once you let you inhibitions go, be friendly and outgoing to complete strangers on the street. Practicing Spanish is fun, and at times funnier than hell. Some of the stuff that comes out of my mouth in Spanish will occasionally bring down the house, and I'm not a very funny guy. When I start speaking Spanish I'm an instant joker, and I'm not even trying to make jokes. :rofl
  16. Pedro Navaja

Pedro Navaja Long timer

Oddometer:
    Below is the attitude of a winner.

17. PirateJohn

PirateJohn Banned

Oddometer:

JESUS!

Your friend paid the Stupid Gringo Tax big time there, because that should have been a $20 fine at most. :huh

Presumably you didn't get a receipt or a badge number because you really should have taken that one up with the state's tourism folks.
  18. PirateJohn

PirateJohn Banned

Oddometer:

Probably. But I'll play along and PM him. If any of you guys get a nibble and this fish is real, let's get ready to help get him back across the border.

Incidentally, can't we all relate to his story about being in the wrong lane at the Reynosa crossing and coming back to the States by accident? That is one screwed up traffic pattern there. :lol3
  19. hockabigloogy

Oddometer:
    It wasn't the people, or the cops, or the signs, or the missing signs, or the forks in the road with both ways marked with the same sign.
    :yikes
    It was the 12 inch topes. I was lucky that my crankcase didn't crack like Humpty.
    Hmmm, the old cruiser has been dripping more lately!

But that is why I bought my Newish KLR 650, and am farklling it daily.

By the end of March I'll be ready to go back.

Trying to figure out whether I can deal with aluminum panniers, or the Pelican cases. I really want to stay with the soft stuff for weight and carrying reasons. Anyway I go, I'll have to take 40% less than I did on my Yammy Venture Royale.
  20. crashmaster

Oddometer:
    Grab a little clutch and a little throttle and loft the front wheel over the topes. You'll be an expert at clutching wheelies by the time you get back from Mexico.