Mexico

Discussion in 'Latin America' started by MagicBean, Feb 13, 2010.

1. markharf

markharf Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Is this the only forum in the history of the internet which doesn't caution new users to lurk for a while, reading posts and getting a sense of the membership, before posting? Could be....I never bother reading intros and FAQ lists anymore, because in essence that's all they ever say.

This aside, the real reason I'm so impatient with reports of outlandish fines paid is that it might be me who comes along right after you and your friend....and you just raised the bar for me and anyone else who follows. Rather than brag about it, or make a big deal of what a jerk your "friend" was, you might exhibit an introspective moment or two--whatever it takes to recognize that you, too, sadly misjudged the situation. Having done that, you're in a position to add to what is, in fact, a long-running discussion, rather than make a short-term (failed) effort to glorify your own mistakes (and those of your riding partner).

But that's just my perspective. Notice that some posting here agree, give or take, and some don't.

What was the original question, again?

Mark

(basking in the sleepy glow induced by a truly outstanding pizza, Puerto Natales)
  2. crashmaster

crashmaster ow, my balls!

Oddometer:
    Most gringos that travel south are too quick to open up the wallet when confronted with the cops. They are like fish out of water in a strange land, hearing a strange language, and scared of the cops. they "hear" that if you just pay Mexican cops, youre off the hook. But the ones that go back again eventually learn the ropes. So you imply that if this one guy read the internet he would have played the game like most of us do? I dont f'ing think so. Dealing with the nuances of south of the border travel is a learned skill, and to learn it, you have actually go do it, and make some mistakes. Simple as that. I made plenty of mistakes when I was learning the ropes. And FWIW, I'm still learning with each new country I go to. Every place has its learning curve.

I would ask that you cut the guy a little slack, por favor.

For an example on the other side of the fence. I had a good girlfriend from Mexico. She had only lived in the states for a couple months before she got stopped by the California Highway Patrol. What do you think she did? Well, she folded a $20 dollar bill under her drivers license, handed it to the cop, told him it wasnt much but he could at least go get some fried chicken for lunch. And it didnt help matters that the cop was African American.

She did not know that was a stereotype and racial slur at all but had "assumed from what she heard" that people of African descent like fried chicken. But she eventually learned how to deal with cops in the States, the hard way. I bailed her out of the slammer later that day and for the record "attemping to bribe a police officer" is a pretty serious crime around here. She was lucky to get off with a fine and probation after her case was explained to the judge.

You had to figure it out just like all the rest of us did, with first hand experience. That tuition is money well spent.

EDIT: markharf, what would you do if a cop wanted 300 bucks from you? You would do the same thing I would, bust out laughing. Just because some people get conned into paying big bucks doesnt mean that it will make your trip any more difficult. Relax dude, enjoy your ride.
  3. hockabigloogy

hockabigloogy Got Buddah?

Oddometer:
    NOW FOR THE PSYCHOLOGICAL PART OF OUR SHOW!

How to Deal With Impossible People

Realize that you cannot deal with impossible people the same way you deal with everyone else. In some ways, they need to be treated like children. Give up all hope of engaging these folks in any kind of reasonable conversation. It will never happen, at least with you. Remember what happened the last fifty times you tried to have a civilized discussion about the status of your relationship with this person. Chances are, every such attempt ended in you being blamed for everything. Decide now to quit banging your head against a brick wall.

FOR ENTIRE ARTICLE, SEE:

http://www.wikihow.com/Deal-With-Impossible-People:tb
  4. markharf

Oddometer:
    No, I was saying that if he bothered to lurk on the forum he'd not be arousing ire by asking if any of us "brave" guys ride solo. And if he exercised a bit of introspection he'd understand that he, like his friend, misread the situation, therefore would hesitate to brag about it in public, much less build himself up at his friend's expense.

But I gather I'm not making my points effectively. It's not the first time.

Probably a good idea. I'll try.

Good story about your g.f. Thirty years ago, this wouldn't have caused any trouble at all in Chicago (among other places), but the price was somewhat lower. Nowadays it's safer to wait for the men in uniform to make the first move, even in Chicago.

For what it's worth, I'm constantly making mistakes large and small whenever I step across cultural lines, no matter how minor. Often I insult people accidentally, or step on toes in other ways. Sometimes they do the same to me. Most of the time I probably don't even notice.....but I do try to pay attention and to learn from my mistakes. Mostly.

enjoy,

Mark
  5. Tricepilot

Tricepilot Bailando Con Las Estrellas Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    When I was pulled over by the cops in Tegucigalpa, Honduras, I played my usual game. By the time it was over, the cops were glad to get rid of me, to go after easier pray. I actually enjoyed delivering the "telemarketer treatment". Always kind and nice, but I intentionally gloss my eyes over, go into Forrest Gump mode: :augie, and generally give the impression that I can wait there all year, if they wish.

Like most encounters with people, the cops, I believe, size you up in the first 15 seconds. They can tell right away if you're rattled. I believe in the counter-intuitive approach: total respect for authority, but in such a manner that they instantly know you're cool as ice, and that it'll take half a century to thaw their way to your wallet.

And of course, Vinny knows the other half of my act in these situations :thumb
  6. crashmaster

Oddometer:
    :rofl:rofl:rofl I know the routine, all too well. It takes a little time, but usually within 30 minutes the cops are running away from me. yelling "buen viaje!" :strum I would love to hear the conversations after they get back in their cars.:lol3
  7. Tricepilot

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
  8. Tricepilot

Oddometer:
    :rofl :lol3
  9. crashmaster

Oddometer:
    Yeah but I think my number is up. One of these days a smart cop is going to call my bluff and throw me in the clink. I probably wont be laughing so much then. :rofl
  10. Tricepilot

Oddometer:
    Seriously, what is that under the eggs?
  11. Tricepilot

Oddometer:
    You are too charming for that to happen :ksteve
  12. Tricepilot

Oddometer:
    Ah, I think I figured it out: a giant, roasted scab
  13. HWSNBN

HWSNBN Banned

Oddometer:
    Playing a d00d, disguised as another d00d
    I got out my cellphone last time and acted as though I was about to record video. Scared the shit out of'em. Real time saver. A Mexican buddy carries a video camera in his car just for this reason, it was a great tip.
  14. daveg

daveg no longer homeless

Oddometer:
    I was extorted successfully by only 1 cop out of many many many attempts on my TDF trip. The first sign I knew I was dealing with a VERY corrupt cop was that he quoted the fine in USD. friggin $75 USD!!! Yeah right.. my ass.

After I insisted to pay it at the station he said that it woudl cost $25 USD there!! WTF.

My full story is here: http://www.gsomething.com/blog/2008/10/18/police-problems-in-costa-rica/

The I come to find out that the motherfucking SAME COP not only pulled over my riding buddy (we were riding seperate at the time) but successfully got $35 out of him!!

In the end, the cop ended up stealing the $11 USD out of my fake wallet. :eek1

Stuck his hand and helped himself too..:jerko
  15. hockabigloogy

hockabigloogy Got Buddah?

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the great ideas on how to deal with this situation in the future. I feel less threatened by this kind of crap, and appreciative for the positive approaches given.

I'm just sorry my pal has totally given up on Mexico. It is his loss!
  16. dtop1

dtop1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    A little over a month ago I was on the free road about 20 miles south of Mazatlán just past La Unión. There's an underpass where there are almost always Federal highway cops with radar. But I have never been stopped there or anywhere else on a moto by Federal cops with radar so I didn't even slow. The speed limit was 80 km/hr and I was doing about 120 km/hr. To my surprise I was waved over. I stopped, turned off the engine, lifted my visor, took off my gloves and said "buenos dias" when he got to me. We chatted in Spanish for a while: where are you from, where are you going,etc. Then he said, "Adiós, que tenga buen día." And that was it; not one mention of speed. I'm still not quite sure why I was stopped or what was going on. Dan
  17. Pedro Navaja

Pedro Navaja Long timer

Oddometer:
    The above quotes mimic my opinion and experiences. I have yet to be messed with by any authorities. In fact I have actually asked police to pull over so I can get some information from them. In some locations I will pull into a police station to get info, or if I see them stopped sometimes I will stop to ask questions. This is also beneficial for finding out about ejido lands worth crossing, places to go and not to go, hotels, restaurants, etc. However, being a Latino and a native speaker, this might not be the formula for others.
  18. Tricepilot

Oddometer:
    Message for your pal:

May I suggest he try Poughkeepsie next
  19. markharf

Oddometer:
    I often ask motorcycle cops for directions. Sometimes they get so frustrated trying to explain things that they lead me through endless city traffic to wherever I'm going (or wherever they think I ought to be going, which are sometimes not the same places). My Spanish is minimal, but they appreciate being given a chance to be helpful...and they're usually dying to ask questions about my bike---the same questions as everyone else, i.e., how fast will it go, how big is the engine, etc. etc. etc.
  20. Pedro Navaja

Pedro Navaja Long timer

Oddometer:
    Same experience here. Last trip to Parras I stopped at the Coahuila State Police station. Those guys were really cool.