Mextrek #10 - From Texas to Northern Mexico

Discussion in 'Latin America' started by shadman, Aug 18, 2019.

1. shadman

shadman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Mextrek #10: October 24, 25, 26, 27 2019.

My name is Peter and I organize a ride from Texas (Mission TX, google it, McAllen basically) into Northern / Central Mexico twice per year. GPS tracks, guidebooks, tee shirts, and all that silly hoopla is usually included, but no guarantees. I charge a $50 admin fee for my time and effort. Basically I want a free vacation with my friends. Your out of pocket hotels, gas, permits, and everything runs around $300 total for everything once in country. 5 days away from home, feels like a month. $500 from any major Texas city is easy, even for a drunk who buys everyone way too many drinks.

We meet up at the border on Wednesday, spend the night in Mission. Thursday morning me and my group of underpaid ride guides take you through the process of getting visas, bike permits, show and tell how to safely cross the border, and then get this gaggle of stray cats to a small sleepy town deep in the mountains of Mexico in 3/4 of a day. Once there we have 500 miles of the best dual sport secondary roads mapped out that you could ever imagine. Rides like "The Dual Sport Double Dragon", "The Gold Standard", "The Road of Death", etc... High above civilization, through sleepy villages, across wide open plains, on the edges of death plunges 500 feet high. Sunday we turn tail and head home. Its all very easy, very satisfying, very adventurous, and unlike anything you'll likely do in the states on a motorcycle. You could come close, I'm sure, but it's just, well, all better in Mexico.

This is our 10th trip with maybe 500 satisfied, happy, well fed, well slept, and thoroughly riding exhausted friends. This is a special journey. My "clients" tell me regularly that this level of "guided" trip should cost insane amounts of money. No worries, I just wanna ride.

We also tack on another week of serious fun (and less off road riding) in the form of the After Party. originally just a couple of friends who stayed a bit longer, now about a third of the group stays on, 25 or 30 guys, and we go deeper in search of culture, food, great roads, mescal, and beautiful views. This year we are headed to Real de Catorce, San Miguel de Allende (day of the dead week), Guanajuato (Halloween, day of the dead (mummies)), and Santiago in Nuevo Leon.

Mextrek #10: Any bike that can survive 150 miles of pavement at 55mph, gas range of 75 miles.

After Party V3.0: Longest day is 400 miles, 8 hours. Best to have 70 MPH highway comfort. But we will probably have a couple KTM 500's taking an easy pace.

Check out my ride thread here on Two Wheel Texans. This is a site for Texas riders to chat. We have a subforum for Texas Adventure Rider's Association and group together loosely under the direction of Mextrek founder and trailblazer extra-ordinaire Richard Givens.

https://www.twtex.com/forums/thread...er-24th-to-27th-2019-after-party-v3-0.120425/

A few videos put together by me and my guests:

One of my favorite routes, especially one handed while filming with a floppy smart phone, my specialty:

2015:

2017, #6 maybe

2018, #8:

Real de Catorce majestic view, not so majestic singing

20181020_165256.jpg 20181022_151758.jpg 20181023_130154.jpg 20181024_181413.jpg 20181025_154502.jpg 20181025_212720.jpg 20181027_100452.jpg 20181027_225103.jpg IMG-20181003-WA0000.jpg IMG-20181023-WA0004.jpg
    Tricepilot likes this.
  2. shadman

shadman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Oh to answer the first question people usually ask: No safety incidents of any kind have happened on any Mextrek, other than crashes of course. No muggings, robberies, stakeouts, road blocks. Many keys left in ignitions overnight. Many GPS units for the taking, not taken. All smiles from everyone we meet. $20 speeding tickets when you act a total fool.

2nd question, we run 60 or 70 riders typically depending on which days the trip falls on. This year I'm expecting 50 from TWTEX cause we are book-ended by Harvest Classic in Fredricksburg and F1 in Austin. I have 45 signed up now, 2 months out.
    Tricepilot, severely and Motorius like this.
  3. SkizzMan

SkizzMan aka SkiddMark ;^)

Oddometer:
    Y’all have fun!
    severely likes this.
  4. Plainfast90

Plainfast90 n00b

Oddometer:
    Question about bike “eligibility”

1.). I plan to attend on a plated xr400. Are there any special hurdles at the border to bring over a converted plated dirt bike?

2.). My friend wants to attend but does not own a street legal bike (he is an experienced off-road rider/racer — we ride singletrack three times a week — but he probably won’t manage to buy a suitable bike in time for the trip). Do any club members know of rentable bikes that he might be able to pick up along the I35 corridor on our way down from OKC? Beggars can’t be choosers but he is probably most interested in a dirt-biased bike.

Thanks!!!
  5. severely

severely almost a noob

Oddometer:
    Registration matching your ID/passport is required. Rentals won't be allowed outside the US. How about one of the Chinese 250 dual sports? Good luck.
  6. shadman

shadman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    John, I think we answered your post on the twtex page. As long as you have registration, matching passport name you are good to go. We have not been asked for titles, licenses, insurance, or other documents when crossing at the border. But venturing 600 miles into Mexico I encourage everyone to bring a tried and true bike that won't let you down.

You've been with us once so you know most of this. Looking forward to riding with you on the new to you XR this year. I'll still be on my CBR500r / X hybrid confusion thingy.
    severely likes this.
  7. shadman

shadman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This is going to be a fun trip. 49 confirmed riders from 7 states coming on the 4 day Mextrek 10, and 26 riders sticking around for the 7 day After Party V3.0.
  8. Wyodrill

Wyodrill Master Chief 1200

Oddometer:
    Peter,
    What are your plans for 2020? My Texan brother in law and I are interested in making a trip to the Copper Canyon.
    We have to plan ahead due to work requirements.

Happy New Year!

Thanks,
    Wyodrill.