1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Mezo`s 1988 XT600 Rebuild Thread (Project Ténéré)

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Mezo, Feb 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mezo

Mezo Banned

Oddometer:
    Hi all, :wave

Following on to my DR650 "Build up thread" which has stalled slightly due to no available engines. To keep myself busy & a chance to give a legend a second chance in life im rebuilding a Yamaha XT600 & will be know know as Project Ténéré :D

I was browsing our local online flea market (Gumtree) where i came upon the bike, it looked sorta familiar? so after a phone call to the guy i established it was a bike i had seen advertised last year on Gumtree, i was tempted to buy it but had the empty pocket syndrome & passed it buy.

Since i last saw it Tony (the very nice Welshman i bought it from) had stripped the bike right down & had started to restore it, the frame & swing arm had been sandblasted & the powder-coated, he had done his best to match the color using the inside of the original side panels (French Blue) and a real nice job has been done.

Here`s a pic taken by the original backpacker owner next to the Pinncales here in Western Australia, the bike was a running bike when Tony got hold of it before Christmas, and is still a road registered bike :evil

[​IMG]

And here some pics on my dining table after Tony was kind enough to drop it off round my place, its on the dining table because the coffee table is full of DR frames.
    not sure where the Elsinore going to go?, that`s another project bike im putting together (even more slowly than the DR`s) its a 78/79 Honda CR250R "Red Rocket" & will document that one day as well, website on that has started already, here.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is what it should end up looking like (click image to go full size 400mb)

[​IMG]

So any advice on these bikes would be nice from fellow inmates as i don`t know much about them, in particular is the graphics? does anyone know where you can get a set of reproductions or originals would be even better :evil

So popcorn at the ready :lurk

Mezo. :thumb

2. LukasM

LukasM Long timer

Oddometer:
    On a RTW ride - currently touring the U.S.
    You are a funny guy Mezo, and your project ADD is almost as bad as mine. :lol3

Hope that beer bottle was emptied into the sink. :deal
  3. WARRIORPRINCEJJ

WARRIORPRINCEJJ Forsaken

Oddometer:
    Yeah Mezo...Lukas is right...Doctor's orders.:deal

Here ya' go, man...Consider this my belated, get-well-soon card...

http://www.brandsoftheworld.com/search/120081592/52621.html

Maybe you can use it. If not, maybe it will be a good starting point. Good Luck, Bro.

4. Mezo

Mezo Banned

Oddometer:
    Errm i sampled it first, i do like my Little Creatures Pale Ale (local brew) and if you saw that bike Lukas im sure you would have snaffled it up :deal

Mezo.
  5. metropolis2k

metropolis2k Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looking good Mezo! I don't get any time in the week to work on the bike but this weekend I'm planning to work on the front wheel, check out the speedo drive and brake pads and maybe test the clocks. If I have time! :D
  6. DisTech

DisTech Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Frame looks good, what state is the motor in? :lurk
  7. DRjoe

DRjoe Long timer

Oddometer:
    you seem to have a weird fetish for motorbike frames Mezo
  8. Mezo

Mezo Banned

Oddometer:
    Starting to look like a motorbike wreckers yard eh :deal

Yeah the motor is in need of a rebuild, well the head & barell are off & the piston is rooted & id imagine it will need a re-bore, the head will need some work also, valves need re-seating & may even get it ported, Joe did mention a mod where they change it to down-draught & use twin FCR`s :evil

Dig out that link please Joe :deal

Im going to go through all the boxes on the weekend & see whats what, good thing is with this bike its all there 100% complete, rego, license plate & even the battery's still good.

Mezo.
  9. Mezo

Mezo Banned

Oddometer:
    They say life is full of ups & downs, two weeks ago i had the heart attack (down) & was just getting back on my feet (up) then i found this bike (another up) then this morning just hours after starting this thread with a renewed sense of hope i managed to ram my car up the arse end of a bus (down).
    This has really put the nail in the coffin for me :(:

Mezo.
  10. metropolis2k

metropolis2k Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Shit I'm sorry to hear that Mezo :cry

Hope you're ok mate.
  11. dylandr

dylandr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That's a serious bump bru! Hope you are alright?!
    In life there are ups and downs.... sometimes things can't get any worse and that's at least something to be positive about. Small hickup is all it is!:zilla

Cheers Dyl
  12. Reposado1800

Reposado1800 Juicy J fan!

Oddometer:
    Take it one day at a time. Bad stuff comes in three's. Keep your eyes open.
  13. Mezo

Mezo Banned

Oddometer:
    OK, since my crash last week i have been doing a lot of thinking & soul searching. Had loads of messages off support & offers of help.

I have quit my day job, and am selling up everything.

The plan is to get the Tenere back on the road ASAP & head out for a ride in a Cape York direction from Perth, across the Nullabor to Sydney & then up.

So next step is to move the bike to a mates place & pull the engine apart, im still a chasing graphics kit? mailed a few places now & no reply`s.

Mezo.
  14. DisTech

DisTech Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm jealous. I want to go!
    <object width="120" height="120"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/iimO5wDbddM&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/iimO5wDbddM&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="120" height="120"></embed></object>
  15. DRjoe

DRjoe Long timer

Oddometer:
    sorry mezo there's no link to this one. I heard it from the fella who actually did it back in the day.

your putting your pumper carb on the tenere aren't you.

16. Mezo

Mezo Banned

Oddometer:
    I think ive sold both of them Joe, and two of the GiXXER Cans`s, i kept the shitty one for this project, just in case the cans no good.

Mezo.
  17. Wolfdog

Wolfdog Not Scared

Oddometer:
    Good to hear your back in action, when you sell up and become a Gypsy, im gona miss the beute shots of the dinning room build progress.

When I was single I had 3 motor bikes in my bed room, much to my flat mates disgust.
  18. Mezo

Mezo Banned

Oddometer:
    I have just ordered my screen for the project from Eagle Screens ive gone with an extra 130mm in height & extra width in dark tint.

I have had screens from this guy before & was well happy with the product & so im using him again. He makes a standard replacement for AU$110, an extended up to 65mm for AU$130 & extended 65mm to 130mm costs AU$140 (mine) in any tint you care for.

Its a quality job made of 3mm perspex with nice rounded edges :deal

I also ordered the stainless fixing kit for it including the rubber well nuts, may as well do it properly if your spending this kind of money.

And if your like me & stupid enough to knock on his door, be prepared for the wrath of John, he tore me a new arsehole yesterday saying "I havnt go time to talk with customers im whey to busy" Grrrrrrr !! he said.

So he locks the shop door & turns up his radio so he cant hear you knocking, so if you want something just email him & you will get a reply back straight away.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It takes a couple of weeks to make your order.

Mezo. :thumb
  19. popescu_mihailraul

popescu_mihailraul Adventurer

Oddometer:
    OMG...
    My heart is about to explode and the hair on my hands looks like spikes.
    Jesus...
    Great topic! Too beautiful !!!
    I received the mail for the manual. I guess you will be the person i will do provide anything with in order to keep working.
    I have quite some materials and i will gladly send them to you. Some of them this night.
    The rest - these days, as i scan them.

Do you happen to know this commercial:
    <object width="560" height="340"></object><object width="560" height="340">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/S1ZZreXEqSY&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></object>
    ?

It really shows the way i reacted when i saw those many frames in your house.
    Next to the materials i`ll send, please write here what you also need and i might help or at least give directions. Also ask about technical problems as i`m about to start restoring my bike beginning the 18th of February for a Morocco trip in April 2011 (i might not be some ace, but i can ask around).

All the best, power to overcome problems and strength to continue!

Later edit:
    * Here is most of my materials on 3AJ Tenere (about 95%):
    http://dl.transfer.ro/3AJ_INTERNET_UPLOAD-Transfer_RO-11Feb-085fbf.rar
    It`s an aprox. 200 Mb archive that will stay up on the internet for about 10 days. If you don`t see this post in time and you can no longer download it, give me an e-mail and i`ll upload it again.
    All the best!
  20. Mezo

Mezo Banned

Oddometer:
    OK guys`s beat that reaction to my new project :deal

Im glad you have enjoyed the story so far, there are two small obstacles to overcome on this project.

1. There is no manual readilily availble for a 3AJ, you have to chase it down on other forums (i was on HU alll night last night asking people for a copy).

2. There is no graphic kit available for this model, looks like i will have to make my own.

metropolis2k had suggested doing the "Rallye Team Look" at first i thought nah, then after realizing there's no graphics available for the 3AJ (mainly them blue & yellow tapering stripes) i decided to do a Rallye look a like, then i have the freedom to make my own design.

So im going to go along this theme with the graphics, try & make it look like Team Sonauto Yamaha & try an include all the sponsors on the bike.

I have collected some examples from Google & have put them in one spot for you guys to look at here that sort of thing, thoughts guys?

So if i can find a local graphics guy (bike fan) who`s half cluey :wink:

i could get "Sonauto/Gauloises Factory Yamaha Rallye Replica Race Decals" for the 3AJ which nobody is making, im sure there would be some interest from other 3AJ owners if a kit was available, i know id buy one tomorrow.

Just some thoughts guys, oh yes im 50% through my Romanian manual download :D

Thank you kind sir. :thumb

Mezo.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.