Mezo`s 1988 XT600 Rebuild Thread (Project Ténéré)

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Mezo, Feb 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pete j

pete j Adventurer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    Can you believe this? I'm prepping my XT for a *big* trip that's in my (";") 'mind', is fairly imaginative, 'least i thought so.

Klist, this pic leaves me speechless. I,m working on 45kg load incl water and fuel.

asside...

I'm going on a small trip this weekend, was going to be a 'how to get to x and back' on dirt roads only.

that was before Yamasaurus
    [​IMG]

dropped his rods in my workshop
    [​IMG]

and i've had to call upon 'ol' red'
    [​IMG]
    to step up.

So, tomorrow yamasaurus-rektus will stay at home while i take the ugly sister... no, that's rude.
    Ugly sister's got two lungs that beat to my touch, call out to my ministrations...

To be continued...
    p
  2. NordieBoy

NordieBoy Armature speller

Oddometer:
    The one with the scoops is my brothers TT350.
  3. Mezo

Mezo Banned

Oddometer:
    Shows how much i know then eh Nord`s :lol3

Danjet`s on his way here with his welder & some oil. :evil

Welder to do that GPS mount (finally) and oil because he said "lets have a go at firing that bloody bike of yours up"

Mezo.
  4. DirtWanabe

DirtWanabe Classic Adv Bike rider

Oddometer:
    YES!, do it!
  5. Just Dan

Just Dan Bugger, Burnt toast

Oddometer:
    Yes, We are waiting:freaky
    I am also having a good productive day on the Ten. Must be a garage day.
  6. Bendernz

Bendernz Torrential

Oddometer:
  7. patrick2wd

patrick2wd pop-pop-pop-pop-etc.

Oddometer:

How about winter in Holland, one day of fierce snowfall, and the whole country is up-side-down..
    more than 800km of traffic jams.. in a country which is (longest distance to travel on roads) about 325 kms long..

But.. this is the result:
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    is about 4 inches...

and I still prefer +25 degrees... and sun..:kat
  8. Mezo

Mezo Banned

Oddometer:
    Well,,Danny did his welding bit & a nice job there. :D

Id pointed out a niggling thought id had since i had assembled the bike in Perth, when i put the rocker cover on i thought id put to much sealant on the cover, id seen it weeping out & was worried id block the oilways.

I showed Danny what i thought could be a potential disaster & we decided to pull the whole thing down & check for sure. Sure enough some sealand had blocked the journal & was stopping oil getting inside the cam, i thought id used only a minimal amount but that was still to much.

We had to take the pipes off, take the engine bolts out & drop it forward to get the top cover off, when we eventually got the cover off sure enough it was block solid with sealant.

Im glad now we did it, took us a few hours to do but it was worth the effort, we got it all back together as it was getting dark, hooked up the battery & filled it with oil expecting to fire it up and,,,,,CLICK.

The same sodding problem i had back in Perth that i did the movie about, nothing? we tried shorting the solenoid out & nothing again.

So i was pretty shagged out & it was getting dark so we called it a day, id love to been able to post a vid of the bike running but there's still a problem there that needs sussing.

The End.

Danny & Mez.
  9. Andy-Gadget

Andy-Gadget Any bike can go anywere

Oddometer:
    Hi Mezo, I swear by this stuff for jobs like you have just described, Loctite 515 master gasket eliminator, I have lent Dan some as well, for his R100RS, and it seals just fine.
    The main attraction is that it doesn't cure where it isn't confined, and washes away with the oil, so no Silastic worms to kill motors by blocking oil galleries.
    Also has the huge advantage of not going off in the tube, unlike silastic, so the open tube can sit in your toolbox until required, and will be usable.:evil
    I think that Silastic type sealants shouldn't be used anywhere on engines, even the smallest smear can cause major problems.:huh

Following your resto with interest.

Will be using this stuff on Dan's engine, when I get home from sea, if I have any say in the matter anyway:deal
  10. Mezo

Mezo Banned

Oddometer:
    Hey Andy,

I basically used what the manual recommended, manual being 25+ yrs old :evil

I was aware of the problem with the "worms" block the oilways as id read about other peoples engine disasters caused by them, at the time when i did it in Perth i thought id only used a minimal amount but you really only need the slightest thin film of the stuff & let it go off slightly before doing the final torque up.

Last night when we left it no excess sealant came from any part of the cover, so im happy & confident its now done correctly.

And if i had ignored the problem it would have gone,,,,

ztaj BOOM :kboom

See if anyone gets that joke. :deal

Anyhoo, i think Danny`s coming back round with his starter motor & his multimeter (my stuffs is still in Perth) so we couldn't test why all we were getting is a click, click, click.

It cant be the battery as that's now brand new, Danny & me was sat on the deck last night with a rum & coke chewing through the possibilities? ive got a spare wiring loom here for a 3AJ so we might just hang that off the side of the bike just to prove that`s not the cause of the problem? what fun it is putting a bike together that your brought in a box :lol3

Mezo.
  11. Geoff D

Geoff D Tenerista

Oddometer:
    Mezo I bloody told ya what to do with ya starter in Perth...... :deal

Yeah as Andy said any kind of instant gasket stuff is a disaster around engines.....good for you & Danny to check it out

Good luck with it, it won't be long before its running.... looks like you beat me to it... wouldn't care all I needed to do was pipe up the carbs & put some petrol in... its been like that for a month now....:deal
  12. Mark.F

Mark.F Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Geoff,
    The way the weather is at the momment your's is catching no harm in the garage:vardy
  13. Just Dan

Oddometer:
    As Andy has mentioned. The 515 Loctite is the go. Any internal excess is dissolves away.
    [​IMG]
  14. NordieBoy

NordieBoy Armature speller

Oddometer:
    More like, mrs ztaj BOOM...
  15. wiggywildwildwest

wiggywildwildwest cranky bugger

Oddometer:
    if you shorted between the large solenoid terminals, and no action, i would suggest a really bad earth or broken wire somewhere. if the high current parts are all connected properly, the starter will whiz around no problem.

did you try a jumper lead straight from b+ to the starter terminal ? what happens then ? with everything having fresh paint on it, you may just need to clean an earth.
  16. Mezo

Mezo Banned

Oddometer:
    We did that last night, shorted between the terminals & normally you get a spark & something? all i got was a nasty belt? which was very strange as i was holding the terminals on the battery, normally you dont get a shock from there but i got a zap like you would from the coil or plug lead & real good zap.

Danny said "are you sure it was a good zap" i replied "err Danny whats Mezo`s trade huh?" i know a bloody zap when i get one ive electrocuted myself hundreds of times, im an expert a getting shocked. :deal

So that had us both scratching our heads as to why i got such a kick from simply holding the pos & neg on the battery terminals, it was like a capacitor discharge & i swore more than usual. :evil

He`s due round any sec with his meter & we`ll have another go, he`s bringing the starter from his bike & ive got that seconhand loom i got from Germany, so fingers crossed.

Put put put put :ricky

Mezo.

17. Mezo

Mezo Banned

Oddometer:
    Hmmm, who`s got some ideas cos me & Danny are scratching our heads still :scratch

We swapped out the starter motor & straight away it turned over (plug removed) we was wanting to test for a spark, well were getting one spark & that`s it?

Very odd, each time we press the start button there`s one spark from the tip of the plug & then nothing, stop then hit the starter again & just one spark.

Why would it spark just the once only?

Making a mug o tea for Danny, just thought id share our problem.

Mezo.
  18. Just Dan

Oddometer:
    Start at the spark plug and work backwards. Try another spark plug. Then try another coil. Check the coil lead for cracks.
  19. Mezo

Mezo Banned

Oddometer:
    We've tried all that Dan, we think it's got something to do with the CDI preventing the bike from starting, not faulty as such, possibly the clutch switch? Also were not sure if this model has the side stand switch? On top of that I think at some point it has been bypassed? The colours are not matching up either.

Oh the joy of figuring out some previous bodge.

Any 3AJ owners in Aussie tell me if there's safety switches on there bikes? does it have to be in neutral? Is there a sidestand switch? Is there a clutch switch?

This is where we think the problem is, something is telling the CDI not to fire the bike.

And according to the wiring diagram most of the stuff like that is on Euro bikes, but I don't even know if this bike is an Aussie bike from new or whether it was an import, and the loom has been hashed about so much it's a hard one to suss out.

Sigh.

Mezo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  20. Daz the Aussie

Daz the Aussie Mistrusts Squirrels

Oddometer:
    Mey Mezo, does that bike have an igniter in the starting system at all? Should be connected to the spark plug lead if it does. If so, maybe try and swap it out?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.