1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Mezo`s 1988 XT600 Rebuild Thread (Project Ténéré)

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Mezo, Feb 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Just Dan

Just Dan Bugger, Burnt toast

Oddometer:
    IT Lives

To quote a famous line
  2. DANJET600

DANJET600 Need 2 go bush ASAP

Oddometer:
    :clap good stuff mate, i had to sit down and watch it with a cold brew made my day
  3. Mezo

Mezo Banned

Oddometer:
    Phew indeed lads. :evil

Just been running it again to check if oils making its way upstairs, took the two exhaust valve inspection covers off & yep she puked all over Kylies concrete floor, there`s shit loads coming up. :D

Then i put the meter on to see if its charging & im getting 13.9v :1drink

So that`s it for todays work, im happy knowing i can carry on finishing it off. Ive still got to suss why its overflowing fuel out of the pipe underneath? i think that will be the float needle valve with crap inside it.

Main thing im pleased about is there are no knocking sounds, ive yet to see if the gears hold in & if the clutch is OK, but the main thing i was worried about was the bottom end bearings being all good.

Time for a celebration drinky poo`s (given to me by Danny) thanks Danny you've been a superstar this weekend, just a pity we didn't suss that bastard out yesterday eh.

Mezo.
  4. luke111vh

luke111vh Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Gee it sounds good!! Music to my ears.

I believe to get the oil level to settle it needs rpm not actually kms to get the pump turning faster.
    You could try holding it at 4-5K rpm in neutral if you like but I wouldnt.

It will be fine, you just need to have faith. Just check it after your next ride.
    Congrats anyway mezo!!!

Hey im unemployed at the moment so maybe I might get up for a visit this week if you'll be home??
    Maybe wed morn would be good as they are predicting showers wed arvo.
  5. DANJET600

DANJET600 Need 2 go bush ASAP

Oddometer:
    might have had a go at that.................
    [​IMG]
    bottle of rum and then i would have had a sicky :freaky
  6. Mezo

Mezo Banned

Oddometer:
    Sounds good Luke, we can let the Tenere`s play together in the garden. :lol3

Serious mate im not doing sod all apart from some chrissy food shopping, i think ill leave that at late as possible in the week.

Mezo.
  7. Daz the Aussie

Daz the Aussie Mistrusts Squirrels

Oddometer:
    Huge congats mate, great to finally hear the old girl running. Well done! :clap:clap:clap
  8. Bolski

Bolski Adventurer

Oddometer:
    What a great sound, lovely!
  9. Mezo

Mezo Banned

Oddometer:
    Cheers man, im well happy with the sound, not to loud but able to breath nice. :evil

Gotta thank MXRob here for all the hard work he did with the DR`s, after all i just nicked his idea of using a GSXR muffler.

But yeah it only weighs 2kg, and it flows fantastic without having to wear earplugs or risk getting pulled by the old bill.

Mezo.
  10. Bendernz

Bendernz Torrential

Oddometer:
    Onya Mez.

:clap
  11. iconman

iconman Good vibrations

Oddometer:
    Well done Mez, sounds great!
  12. Mezo

Mezo Banned

Oddometer:
    Thanks Daz, yours will be next im sure, mind you Geoff is only a whisker away from firing his bike up as well, then Danny will be close behind.

Must admit its one of them hurdles in a build that you dread & and the same time is very satisfying as when it runs you know you put things back together properly (famous last words) but you know what i mean eh.

How many lurkers out there following this thread chewing at the bit to go & buy a pile of shit & rebuild it? :lol3

All i can say is go for it, or sit in front the box watching crap with yer missus or pissing your life away down the pub.

Haaa, life according to Mez. :D
  13. luke111vh

luke111vh Adventurer

Oddometer:
    On a slightly different topic, I think Im becoming a tenere tragic.
    What is it with these bikes that suck you in so much??
    I can't work out what it is?
    ive had quite a few bikes before this one that looked better, handled better, went faster, stopped better, did better wheelies and i didnt love them as much as this thing.
    Maybe I should see a psycologist.
  14. Mezo

Mezo Banned

Oddometer:
    I dunno Luke, they seem to suck you in somehow? the only cure ive & many others have found is to go & buy some more. :lol3

Its commonly known as Teneritis. :evil

Mezo.
  15. Mark.F

Mark.F Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Mezo glad to see you got the tenere running,bit late but here's a link to priming the oil pump,& a cautionary tale if you get it wrong;
    http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hu...pressure-how-weld-50911?highlight=tenere+girl
    I've got a early kickstart XT600 43F,one thing I do after every oil change is feel that the oil line & tank are getting warm,then obviously the oil's returning,the other thing is take the filler cap off & as you rev the motor you should see oil pouring back into the oil tank,careful when you do that though,healthy oil flow & it could get messy:evil.
    Gotta go cars de-icing before I go to work daytime high -6,XT's staying in the shed today:vardy
  16. Wolfdog

Wolfdog Not Scared

Oddometer:
    Great to hear it finaly running, now to save you a bit of bother, try a quick fix before you pull the carb out, get a screew driver using the handel to tap against the float bowl with the fuel on and the drain screew loosend so fuel can flow, hopefully with the flowing fuel and the vibration from you tapping the side of the bowl you will loosen the debrie thats stopping the float needle from sealing off on the seat.

It might save you a bit of stuffing around and save the frame from potentualy getting scratched, removing some carbs can be a bit of a frame scratching job.

Cheers big ears.

17. pete j

pete j Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Shot Mezo, congrats, oil pressure is always a worry.
    Started real quick and sounds fine.

p
  18. Geoff D

Geoff D Tenerista

Oddometer:
    Thats bloody mint Mez.... well done mate :clap..... I'm chuffed to bits...now get that thing on the road, I may need some wheels in a few weeks :evil....
    I may try get mine going before friday now, if I can motivate myself...
  19. Mezo

Mezo Banned

Oddometer:
    Here Geoff a motivational movie. :D

The second run, this was after i had removed the inspection covers & it had puked oil everywhere, that`s why she`s smoking round by the front.

<object height="385" width="480">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/6Cke31IvbRU?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" height="385" width="480"></object>

Put put put put :ricky

Mezo
  20. vander

vander full-time dreamer

Oddometer:
    Bravo!! Congratulations! :clap
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.