1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Mezo`s 1988 XT600 Rebuild Thread (Project Ténéré)

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Mezo, Feb 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VtStrom

VtStrom Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I am in AWE! The movie IS Just as good as the Book has been :deal :clap
    I cant wait for the next Installment of Both!:lol3
  2. cuvy

cuvy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    at idle it sounds to me like a steam loco! excellent to see it running.

Will you be around thursday? I should be finally getting my SRX6 rego'd so might be able to drop around and say hello (and show off my shiney new toy)

Phil
  3. sonnyboy

sonnyboy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Exellent Mez, glad to hear its going!:1drinkBeen skipping allot lately, still working like a slave, will have to reread and catch up, what else you still got to do?
  4. Mezo

Mezo Banned

Oddometer:
    Cheers lads, :D

Yep Phil im around all week, i think Luke is popping round in the morning to show me his Tenere, keen to catch up with you as well after all this time, i will PM my addy to you.

Sonny/John/Vander yep im well pleased its running now, didnt do nothing on the bike today, went on the Chrissy food shopping before the rush. :dg

Mezo.
  5. luke111vh

luke111vh Adventurer

Oddometer:
  6. Mezo

Mezo Banned

Oddometer:
  7. luke111vh

luke111vh Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Why is it everytime I organise a ride (and really really really really look forward to it) it frickin rains!

Maybe tomorrow - weather permitting.
  8. wiggywildwildwest

wiggywildwildwest cranky bugger

Oddometer:
    i dunno either. there's one here. same as my old one (1VJ ?) only the electric start is gone. i really miss it sometimes. watching a bunch of sweaty hell's angels pushing a harley up and down a servo forecourt then smugly pushing the button and riding away was a real highlight.
  9. Mezo

Mezo Banned

Oddometer:
    Looking at the forecast Luke i may see you in the new year possibly? :lol3

Mezo.
  10. greendude

greendude Long timer

Oddometer:
    buy a raincoat:D

had a blast today, its only water
  11. Mezo

Mezo Banned

Oddometer:
    Well today i pulled my starter apart, right apart to try & figure why there was no grunt/torque, and guess what the problem was. :D

Yep to much paint preventing a good ground, id done such a nice job with the old rattle can it acted as an insulator, so i scraped back the paint & reassembled it & put it back on the bike and,,,,,nothing??

I have fixed the starter & proved that it has the grunt by shorting the solenoid but now the bloody thing wont fire from the button, im 99% certain the starter relay has shat itself, when i turn the key there is no click coming from the relay now where there was the other day, bugger.

Anyone got a spare relay they want to sell me? thought id ask on here before scouring Ebay for one.

Mezo.
  12. ActionManMelb

ActionManMelb YAMAHOLIC

Oddometer:
  13. luke111vh

luke111vh Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That was all my stuff. I think the lucky buyer received some parts today. Im not sure if he needed it or just bought it for a spare.
    ive still got a good pair of carbs for sale as well.

That solenoid is nothing special, i'd just grab a car one like of an old falcon & make it fit. (thats if you cant find a tenere one)

Mezo, have you tried just applying 12v directly to the solenoid to see if it clicks??

I did a little bit to mine today, i fitted a 16 tooth front sprocket to make it a bit more highway friendly and also had to change the o-ring on the left fueltap. yamaha only had 1 o-ring in stock so i have to wait until next week to get the other one. it was fine for a while then i noticed i kept getting little droplets of fuel on my leg.
    Ive finally got it to stop leaking oil too. Persistance has paid off. I found the 2 o-rings behind the stator cover were leaking, they were squashed flat. it took me a while to find it. first i thought it was the sump plug so i replaced the copper washer, the i thought it was the neutral switch so i pulled it out and put a bolt in, then i thought it was the oil line next to the neutral switch so i changed the o-ring and copper washers. i had to laugh though, the stator gasket was the only one i had left from the full gasket set. it was a long, drawn out process, degreasing it & then riding each time then re-inspect.

the trip meter is showing 299km on it now and i'm 99% sure i've got this thing sorted.
  14. Alouette

Alouette Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hello Mezzo

Sorry I did not come here since a moment, and I had not seen your message.
    Here in France, it ' is the winter. It is rougher than usually.

[​IMG]

Thus, me take advantage of it to make a revision of my ténéré.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have just repaired the spokes of the back wheel

I am going to look at your thread...

Bye

Francis
  15. Reposado1800

Reposado1800 Juicy J fan!

Oddometer:
    Merry Christmas! Congratulations on the bike running. It sounds just like my XL600R. I guess most 600 singles sound similar.:lol3
  16. smokeeater495

smokeeater495 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Merry Christmas to everyone out there.
    [​IMG]
  17. Mezo

Mezo Banned

Oddometer:
    No i didn't try that Luke but i will (12v to the solenoid) i guess that will prove the solenoid is OK, but i think its the starter cut off relay.

Im happy my bike doesn't leak oil, i was almost certain it was going to & im very surprised there's none leaking at all, its these small jobs that take the time & getting the parts is a real PITA.

Mezo.

Hey Francis, nice to hear from you again.

The weather all around the world is screwed up big time this year, we have had rain, lots & lots of rain and we are due a whole lot more yet.

That`s a novel way of truing you wheel, i wonder if the front wheel would fit in there as well? worth just keeping an old secondhand swing arm just for doing wheels. :deal

A thumper is a thumper. :lol3

[​IMG]

Mezo.
  18. Mezo

Mezo Banned

Oddometer:
    Had a phone call from a bloke standing in a long Que this morning, haaa. :lol3

It was Dave (DirtWanabe) his missus sent him out to get some prawns for Christmas, he`s offered to help with he parts i need to fix the starting problem, he was smart enough to buy them from Luke as spares.

Cheers Dave. :D (ill just borrow what i need & look out on ebay for replacements for you).

Anyhoo, did we all see the 34L for sale on the bay? (yet another from NSW)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

"It has had a total rebuild in 2001 including engine. A professional mechanic did all the engine work.
    There are bucket loads of spares to go with the bike including 2 spare side covers which are very rare.
    "

Yes and don't we all know how rare them side covers are. :norton
    So who`s going to have themselves a nice Chrissy present then? :lol3

Merry Christmas lads. :thumb

Mezo.
  19. Just Dan

Just Dan Bugger, Burnt toast

Oddometer:
    You mean, I COULD have had a going 34L for under $2,500:jack
  20. Mezo

Mezo Banned

Oddometer:
    Mate yours is going to look ten times nicer than that bike, and whats a fully restored mint looking 34L worth i wonder?

Mezo.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.