Mezo`s 1988 XT600 Rebuild Thread (Project Ténéré)

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Mezo, Feb 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ben99r1

Ben99r1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I love the mezo project. I don't even own a dr650 or a yamaha tenere. :clap I visit every few weeks just see all the progress. I do not know much about the tenere but I know its going to be good. Ben
  2. Dino3310

Dino3310 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  3. stteve

stteve Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  4. Mezo

Mezo Banned

Oddometer:
    oop`s, this is where i nicked some pics from, i have spent hours on this site even though i don't speak any german. I found the "aufkleber"
    tab but no sign of graphics for the 3AJ

Im realizing how big a fan club there is for this bike, im so happy i own this.

Mezo.
  5. Mezo

Mezo Banned

Oddometer:
  6. AWM

AWM Beard Bros Racing

Oddometer:
    Crankshafts wife is a graphic designer,and also a inmate[ofcourse can't remeber her name here]shes done alot of bike graphics,custom.
    PM him she might be able to take care of what ya want.:thumb
  7. Mezo

Mezo Banned

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the tip, it will have to be a local person here in Perth, Western Australia so i can sit down with the tank & fairing so i can scale everything to suit. Most of the logo graphics are available online for free some are fonts & some are vector images (vector image is scalable).

My next challenge is color matching the yellow & most importantly the light blue, does anybody know the correct color code?

Mezo. :thumb
  8. metropolis2k

metropolis2k Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've been looking mate but haven't found anything yet. Like I mentioned though, I think my blue is lighter than your main colour.
  9. popescu_mihailraul

popescu_mihailraul Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I disassembled my Tenere engine once, but didn`t do many pictures. My mistake. When i decided to make a tutorial on this i used some pics from xt600.com.br (very good Brazilian owners site) which i watermarked.
    At the end of my tutorial i have placed a "Thank you" type of message for the guys from Brazil and pictures of them.

You have me in this thread of a touring enduro 3 days trip i organised in my county - red bearded guy in the extreme right of the first 2 pics:
    http://www.motociclism.ro/forum/index.php?s=&showtopic=430673&view=findpost&p=2152804

There is a good topic on 3AJ manuals on HU. I know for sure as i wrote there. So, sumarizing:
    * English maintenance manual - for beginners
    * French repair manual - almost complete, quite chaotic (like for French, no offence). I understand F., so i could handle.
    * Service Information manual - English. As the title says, a collection of all the measures needed to be respected on this bike. No description on how to. Just mm, cm, db, Nm, etc...
    * German service manual. - After the French one, seems to be the best in the branch. First of all, cause is German = organised. Includes most (if not all) of the service information manual inside its pages. The PIA? It`s in German so i look like a shocked cat to it. I`m in the bussiness of scaning it, transforming the scanned pictures to text and translating it with Google Translate. Very nasty job, but i guess the only.

The best compromise?
    Take the necessary measurements data from the Service Information Manual and for the "How should i do this?" use the XT600E Service Manual (called "The best XT600E Service Manual" in the archive above). It`s a 400+ pages top service, english manual. For others reading this and not being able to catch the foretold archive still on the internet, look in my signature.

10. Mezo

Mezo Banned

Oddometer:
    Thanks Raul, so much information :huh

I was looking at my frame for a paint code but nothing, so i looked closer at my VIN tag & noticed the number was 000106, the bike is registered as Jan 88 so i would assume its an early 88, what is the 3DE? i thought i have a 3AJ ?

[​IMG]

Thanks Raul for your help.

11. popescu_mihailraul

Oddometer:
    Different codenames for the country they are sold.
    In Brazil the 1VJ is known as 2TY. 3AJ also has a different name. Do not remember.
    If you look at the beginning, at page one in the Service Manual i have uploaded you will see that the Tenere 3AJ was also sold under the codenames 3DS and 3DE. Perhaps in the english speaking countries.
    Congratulations. You are the owner of the 6th bike of its series:evil.

Off-topic :
    Btw, where is Perf?
  12. metropolis2k

Oddometer:
    Perth?

Thanks for all that information on the previous page. I already know from experience (only a couple of weeks with the bike) that the points you mention are relevant for the earlier 55W models. I'll go through the rest of your list too with the bike just in case :D
  13. Mezo

Mezo Banned

Oddometer:
    Perth is the capitol city of Western Australia, i say Perf because it gives a clue to my origins from the accent you would say it in.

14. popescu_mihailraul

Oddometer:
    Daap. Got it now. Just lazy to Google it and preffered to hear it from you. It sounded familiar to me and connected to that region (+ the pics overview of the bike and the working car).

If you want too i have some materials on earlier Tenere models, like the 34L/55W (very beautiful models from my point of view. equaled maybe only by the first red-white XT600 and the kickstarted TTs:tb)
  15. metropolis2k

Oddometer:
    That'd be great if you did! I love the 34L/55W and that's the only reason I took on the project. The bike is a mess but hopefully is fixable.

I've got some pictures of our progress with the bike below. Last weekend we stripped out all of the wiring and my friend started redoing the loom. It was an a terrible state so this should solve a lot of the bike's issues!

http://s266.photobucket.com/albums/ii254/metropolis2k/Tenere/
  16. Mezo

Mezo Banned

Oddometer:
    Well busy afternoon, took all the plastics & tank around locally to see who would be interested in painting it.

Learned a lot, my tank & fairing has taken a pretty hard hit on the right side, it has been repaired but very poorly, the quote to fix was very expensive because of the labor involved in fixing the tank properly (not bodging it) so i made some phone calls & spoke to a wreckers late this arvo & turns out he knows the bike very well, he knew the backpacker who run the bike last & the wreckers told me what parts he had sold on the bike (Perth`s a small town).

He has a couple of tanks & one fairing at his place so im driving out in the morning to see if the bits he has are better than mine, not much point in doing a restoration knowing there's 2kg of bog in the tank. :evil

17. b0mb3r

b0mb3r Old Git

Oddometer:
    im in :lurk
  18. Mezo

Mezo Banned

Oddometer:
    Here we go, the first popcorn muncher :D

I love popcorn munchers, it just says "Ok im subscribed entertain me if you can"

I`ll try me best M`lud :evil

On another note & i forgot to say, i have taken a tracing of the stripes on the side panel, i have a PDF thanks to Raul on the tank decals (i think) i just need a friendly bloke called Rich (iconman) who lives few streets away to pop round & look at my tracing. :deal

19. Uncle_Dave

Uncle_Dave Outback Traveller

Oddometer:
    Nice build up mate!

If you need anything like measurements or photos to help you out just gimme a yell. I have the same model. Actually I've had it since new.:D

[​IMG]

Cheers,
    Dave.
  20. Mezo

Mezo Banned

Oddometer:
    Haa, hey that`s the one, that`s what ive got sat in boxes :D

Since new eh, not many blokes can say that in the world eh :deal

My tank (as you can see) does not have them decals, they must have worked out there's none available & slapped them ugly XT red & black stickers on. All i did was grab some baking paper from the pantry (almost the same as tracing paper) and a sharp pencil & traced around the two colors. If you could do a tracing of the tank decals that would be fantastic, i think someone should make a set of reproduction graphics for the 3AJ :evil

Here is the tracing i took earlier.

[​IMG]

That can be reversed to the other side i checked. :evil

There are two versions as far as i can tell (graphics) theres this one (the one i like)

[​IMG]

And then there is the one with the tapering graphics.

[​IMG]

Im going with the top graphic with a bit of Sonauto "Bling" :D

[​IMG]

Click here (if you missed it) to see the sort of look im going for.

Mezo.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.