Mezo`s 1988 XT600 Rebuild Thread (Project Ténéré)

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Mezo, Feb 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. popescu_mihailraul

popescu_mihailraul Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Mezo, the best way to have a perfect copy of the stickers is the next one ( i used it so i guarantee for it):

- You take some paper. The bigger the sheet, the better.
    - You also take some cheap transparent adhesive tape.
    - Identify the sticker you want to copy.
    - Place the paper sheet on top of this sticker and stick it there with adhesive tape. The shape/contour of the sheet of paper should be maximum 2-3 cm wider than the sticker.
    - Take a HB pencil (the universal ones used in constructions, for writing on quite everything are the best as the graphite in their composition is softer)
    - The stickers will always be at half a mm higher than the tank or the plastics. Perpendiculary, line next to line start drawing the contour of the sticker.

You will be amazed by the perfect contour of the sticker.
    All somebody who wants to help you will have to do after that is just measure the length of the lines of the sticker and write them down on the paper or simply send the sheet of paper by post, to have a identical measures copy.

I will put some pics this evening to exemplify my post (still at work right now).

Mezo:
    Tell me if i should contact a friend of mine on monday (he owns a blue 3AJ but is out of town in the week-end) and make the contour of the stickers.

Also something important, Mezo (maybe you will be interested):
    There is a little nice brand here in Europe. It`s called BAGSTER. They fabric vynilin (+ soft textile on the inside) protections for the motorcycle tanks. Like a perfect glove for it.
    Here are some pics of a Ducati Monster bagster a friend of mine has bought herself:
    http://timisoarachoppers.blogspot.com/2010/01/tank-cover-ducati.html

Search the Bagster site and see their dealers in your area. They are also building yellow and blue bagsters for Tenere tanks (wonderful, isn`t it? we`re speaking of a bike 20 y.o. that most of brands don`t do quite many aftermarket blings).
    Bad part of this - they don`t have pics of it on the site. Maybe you`ll be luckier - see one, make some pics. Or perhaps someone will do us joy and post some pics of it.
  2. Mezo

Mezo Banned

Oddometer:
    What your trying to say Raul is my tracing is a load of shit right :deal

Nah i know what you mean, that was a total rush job i must admit. I went to see four tanks & three fairings at the wreckers in the hope i may find a very clean one, mine is better than any i looked at. They did have one with nice decals on it (the one im after) so im planning on going back down & tracing the graphic (with a sharp HB pencil) :D

Mezo.
  3. DRjoe

DRjoe Long timer

Oddometer:
    go to bed Mezo
  4. popescu_mihailraul

Oddometer:
    Neeaah, man:D .
    Seriously, I like your project. I understand the big amount of work and try to help :thumb.

Regarding what i promised few hours ago...
    Unhappily, didn`t find many pics. Just one of them good. It shows the exact profile of the sticker i needed. The picture is done after i cut the excess paper to make it identical dimensions to the original one.
    I guess you understand what i mean, altough i find my words quite difficult:
    [​IMG]
  5. Ron Seida

Ron Seida Adventman

Oddometer:
    :lurk
    Yup, me too. I'm in :slurp
  6. DRjoe

DRjoe Long timer

Oddometer:
    black board paint Mezo
  7. Mezo

Mezo Banned

Oddometer:
    Haa, and cal it what Joe? the "Stealth Tenere" :D

No im going to paint it the correct color which i think is Faraway Blue? im also going to keep the graphics original but add some sponsor names just to make it intresting & uniquely my bike, i want the graphics in the paint not on top (clear coat over the graphics).

I was up till the early hours researching "aftermarket xt600z 3aj" on Google, found myself back at HU, seems there are lots of Tenere fans on that channel. I had emailed Staintune exhaust this week asking if they still make a full system for the old XT`s, nope they said. :scratch

So i read a thread & found another mob in Pomgolia that`s making stainless headers here, the only thing im not keen on is them joins? id rather have it in one bit of tube not a series of short bits welded together, is there any other headers out there without joins Raul ?

[​IMG]

So after looking at my system it was a no brainer :evil

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So there`s no way im putting that piece of shit back on, its falling apart & looks very restrictive, so time to break out the X40F0X MX-Rob conversion :evil

[​IMG]

If i move it back slightly the hanger matches the seat bolt bracket a treat & leaves enough room at the front to allow a bend in the midpipe.

[​IMG]

So i chucked the plastics on to see if there was enough clearance & bingo, sorted, it fits amazingly well without any mods whatsoever.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A stainless header matched to the X40F0X will give me a "set & forget" solution to my exhaust problem, no re-packing needed & it weighs only 2kg (a lot lighter than the stock anchor) so the answer to everyone's questions "are you keeping the third can" oh yeah baby :D

Mezo.
  8. DRjoe

DRjoe Long timer

Oddometer:
    it fits well.

Give this i guy a call http://www.tkpipes.com.au/TKPTestHome.html and ask him very nicely if he will make you a set of header pipes.
    He doesn't list them on his web site but he has loads of old jigs on his walls for making older pipes so if your lucky he might have the correct jig. He'll probably say no at first because it wont be worth his while but if you persist he might say yes.

Tell him Joe from the boat hire place sent ya.
  9. fayeslane

fayeslane Rankest of amateurs

Oddometer:
    Just bought an 86 Tenere which I was going to remove the front end and use it for a BMW off roader project. The Tenere runs nicely, not smoky and is pretty original.

Are these old Yammies of interest to collectors? Thought I would ask here before I trash it as I can get an RM250 front end cheaply.

Shame to take an old bike out of action if it is of interest to someone.
  10. popescu_mihailraul

Oddometer:
    Altough it is not a single piece i can tell you that Kedo.de has a very nice one (product number 91326) . It gets golden/light brown with the passing of time, but they still look cool (i see them on bikes that are for sale on the internet) .
    PROBLEM IS:
    Next to the product (a product that fits all XT600 E/Z/K, bikes that have almost the same engine and 99,99% sure the same exhaust holes dimensions) they have written - NOT FOR TENERE 3AJ.
    I don`t get it why. I believe the explanation would be the next:
    This collector is best suited (in the opinion of the german engineers from Kedo) for racing, in addition to K&N filters and some other power gizmos.
    As :
    - there is no power air filters to fit the 3AJ (only by making some bizzare modifications - i saw a topic on XT600.de)
    - this collector is noisier and not road approved (TUV in Germany)

i presume this is why they do not reccomend it for the 3AJ.
    Give them an e-mail and see what they say.
    It costs 139 euros, looks like this :
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

and the description is the next one :

Stainless steel performance collector, 2 in1, 3 pieces spring attached, electropolished (WITHOUT TÜV / ABE) - XT600/Z/E/K (NOT for XT600Z 3AJ)
    * Rich power delivery, improved passage from middle and upper speeds, etc., especially effective in conjunction with K & N replacement air filters
    * Frosted design, completely rustproof (stainless steel), simple and beautiful
    * Only for competition, therefore, only without MOT

Now, on the other side (cheap guys` side, on which i am) i also reccomend:
    - Take the collector to a sandblaster. Don`t know the prices in your country but here you can sandblast them cheap (like 5 Euros smth like that)
    - Thermal resistant paint from sprays is crap. After 1 day of mud, marshes and muddywater the magic is gone. Been there, done that. Only maybe if you want to fool some childish buyer.
    - Have talked lately to a paintshop guy and he said that there is professional thermoresistant paint/dye and available lack/lacquer for it. He recommended it as being better than the spray alternative. He said i should go to a paint/dye shop and have it prepared at the spot from different chemicals.
    If you ride off-road (as i do quite much) you have a "little" problem - mud will stick to the exhaust and, because of the high temperatures, will form a sort of ceramic. If you want to escape it (at the end of the season) you will have to use some wire brush connected to a grinder. Or sandblasting again. Both cases, the magic is totally out in the blue.
    The stainless steel ones will get golden-brown as the time passes (due to the same high temperature problem) but you can grind or polish them forever.
    So:
    * Off-road + long time possession - stainless steel
    * Mostly road, no rain/mud, warm weather use - thermal dye + thermal lacquer.

That final exhaust you have is something dreadfull. It ain`t the original one (same crappy, rusty and muuuch more heavier), but you can throw it away with no remorse (imho).
    On the other side you will be amazed at how the collector will look after sandblasting (tell them to use quartz sand not little metal shrapnels).
    At the end (where you have that plastic and wire the exhaust must have a copper/brass bush/connector in order to perfectly fit the final exhaust.
    [​IMG]

Also, very important Mezo:
    Talk to @fayeslane (i don`t know why but i have a bizzare feeling this guy is nowhere near Romania or Eastern Europe) and convince him to sell you these parts + the outside kickstart pedal and its nut:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is the kickstarter kit. Happily, on the 3AJ you can mount a kickstarter. You can take it from any kickstarted XT/TT/XTZ range bike.

Also, among others:
    - Do you have a central stander on yours? I can make you pics and send all dimensions you need in order to manufacture one yourself (with the help of some of your local welders).
    - Same with the crash-bars. This, only around summertime, as mine are bent now and i will start making others that time of the year.
    - If you get in touch with some welder show him the pics above. That rack (fixed on some table, or even used freely) will take a lot of nerves away from your heart and mind.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
  11. LC8TY

LC8TY must......find........fuel

Oddometer:
    G'day Mezo

I have the Motad headers on my XTZ 660, they fit well and look good but I had a leak were the left pipe joined the right header. The clamp system on the pipes just wasn't up to the job but a bit of exhaust putty and a bandage sloved the problem. A bit disapointing because the rest of the build quality is good. They do match up with the Staintune muffler well though.

[​IMG]

I'll keep watching your build, I don't mind a blinged up old Tenere.

My 98 XTZ 660. :thumb
    [​IMG]
  12. sonnyboy

sonnyboy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Popescu, Hi do you mean a center stand for the bike or something else.I'm very interested in a centre stand for my tenere, just fixed a front wheel puncture with no rocks to help support and a full tank of fuel, quite a pain in the backside. Cheers
  13. Mezo

Mezo Banned

Oddometer:
    Well done Raul :clap

That`s what im looking for, two single pipes without joins going in to a single collector & then all i would need to make is a mid pipe to the silencer.

Update,,,Just been on the site & its also saying "Currently not available, sorry!" Damm !!

Mezo.
  14. Mezo

Mezo Banned

Oddometer:
    OK, tonight i pulled the engine out from its box to see what i have purchased.

[​IMG]

As you can see the guy who was going to restore it (Tony) had allready had a frame made up to support the engine, you see why i took on the project from Tony :deal

Here's a close up of the head, slurp, ahhhh :evil

[​IMG]

Here is the piston, looks like the surface of the moon on the top & notice the scratches down the side.

[​IMG]

And the barrel is scored up a little but i think i can bring that back with a hone? not sure ill check with a friend over the weekend.

[​IMG]

And this will make you all laugh, check out the "Canadian Locking Solution"

[​IMG]

As you can see the new sprocket has been bogged on with two part epoxy something like Araldite,
    this was owned originally by a Canadian mechanic backpacking Aussie, Bubbles would be proud of it :D

Mezo.
  15. JensEskildsen

JensEskildsen Long timer

Oddometer:
    When i bough the SS header for my xt600e from kedo it also said unavailible or not in stock, but they got it within one work as i recall it.

The "warning" with the header and the specifik models is because of the larger fueltanks, hence less clearance.... They just warn you, they dont say its impossiible =)
  16. BIG ED XT FAN

BIG ED XT FAN Long timer

Oddometer:
    Any idea how many miles on the motor? Looks like alot:huh. Or was the oil left low????:eek1
    Theres a guard thats gos on the bolt that holds that oil line, from getting cut in half by the chain. The XT has the longer one. Thump-On!!!
  17. popescu_mihailraul

Oddometer:
    Well done, Mezo!
    At least you escaped one worry with having the engine stander.

Now, continuing:
    * The cheapest piston kit (i didn`t say the best) you`ll ever find for sale is sold by a person nicknamed "NINOTECHNOSHOP". This is the Ebay.de (or UK? do not remember 100%) username and the cost of the kit (including bolt, segments a.s.o.) is 53 Euros + shipping. I already bought one and my mechanic said it is more than ok from his pov.
    The brand is T.K.R.J.. I did a little research on the internet before buying and they are not some shady builders working in the international waters. They are from Japan and i found pictures of them at the InterMot motorcycle show, etc. Anyway, time will tell. Hope they`ll perform good as i have not installed it.
    I forgot to tell - this Nino guy is from Greece. But search also for TKRJ dealers in your country. None of them here in RO.

* For cleaning the paint from the engine i use a solution called DECANOL. Similar names - Cromofag (smth like paint eater). It is a very powerful dye melter. It is a fluid appliable with a brush. It does not create oxides or smth else. It attacks only plastic. It`s like a very powerful diluent. I`m quite sure you have smth like it in your country too. If you want repainting (which i`m not sure i do) you can go for the solution i mentioned before - thermoresistant paint + t. lacquer.

* When you will try to remove the rotor of the electrical instalation you will have a hard time. Check the tutorial about the dissasembling of the Tenere engine i have sent you. Through the middle you will find some hand painted schemes of a special press i had to build for this task. It uses a sliding heavy, iron part and the shocks it provides in order to take out the rotor from the cranckshaft axle. The factory press was a crap (in my case) and i was seconds away to destroying the cranckshaft axle by spliting it like a flower in bloom.

Thanks for the info. I didn`t know.
    Also, wanted to say the same thing to Mezo - don`t bother about that message. Give them an e-mail and see what they have to say about. They are a big seller in this side of the world and more than sure that part will be soon available.

Yes, this is what i meant. I`ll help you, np. At the moment my center stand is not curved anymore (as it once was from the factory) - because of the rocky and woody off-road sessions that unbent it to a perfect plain shape. It shouldn`t take me more to put it back to its form. When i`ll do it, i will post immediately + give you a PM. Until then, one solution i have seen:
    a longer side stand with a U shape at it`s upper side. You demand someone to put the bike on the left factory side stand and then lean it more on the left side so as to put the back wheel into the air. At this moment you fix the right stand under the right side of the swingarm. You can make this right stand adjustable (2 pieces that slide one inside another + holes in both of them and a bolt to stop them at different levels - longer, shorter, etc).
    A friend of mine suggested a side stand mounted on the right swingarm, zip tied while riding.
    The bad side at this combo is that if you have a puncture in the front wheel you can not put something heavy on the back of the bike and lift the front wheel in the air.
    No matter how dumb this might sound, i am thinking of a centerstand that will be attached on the swingarm axle (i will have to manufacture a longer one). All the hits from the big rocks or from cut wood remains (big roots you don`t see in the grass) were taken by the centerstand. They were so many that he changed its form. It lies smth like 6 to 8 centimetres under the bike, this way shortening the ground clearance. A little idea. I`ll see what i can do.

Later edit:
    Here it is - i found it on the www.louis.de website (product number 10003338, while scanning for other products):
    [​IMG]

30 Euros. You decide if you want to buy it or copy it.
    I`m not saying it`s the best solution. One of them, as i know too well that working on the back wheel will shake this setup a little.
  18. Mezo

Mezo Banned

Oddometer:
    Cheers Raul :D

Im taking the engine up in the hills to a mates place, were having a BBQ & a few bevys to ponder the engine, between the four of us i cannot see there being a problem getting this bike back on the road again.

Had an hour spare so i had a look for some graphics in the style i want to do this bike, i started with a grey background and then played with them (deleting background colors & resizing) then pasting.

It was just an experimenting to see if i can get graphics in any color & any size, and if i can do it (not a graphics designer) im sure anyone can do it. Im going to size everything & get them printed, that only leaves me with the blue & yellow stripe, im think of doing that freehand with an airbrush.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

If mine looks like this ill be happy, a little different, like myself :D

Mezo.
  19. Mark.F

Mark.F Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Mezo,I rebuilt a 43F XT600 last year,I ended up getting the motor re-sleeved and a new gearbox had to go in there:cry.The gears on the mid-eighties XT's pitt and break up,could have been worse though,the outcome is'nt as bad as a DR650 gearbox failure:eek1 ,here's a link to the thread.You can see what a duff set of gears on a XT600 looks like...http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=445147&highlight=xt600+rebuild
    I hope yours are better,also why you're doing the motor check which oil pump is fitted as there are 3 different oil pumps.There's a load of info on these old XT's on the HUBB,and over here this blokes the man to speak to http://www.davidlambeth.co.uk/
  20. metropolis2k

metropolis2k Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Those graphics look great Mezo, I think you're going to tempt me to do something similar! I'm lucky that I have a few friends that are very good graphic designers (in fact one of them is an inmate here too) so I might have to see what they can come up with.

No work this weekend for me, just picked up a new battery and brake fluid for next weekend.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.