Mezo`s 1988 XT600 Rebuild Thread (Project Ténéré)

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Mezo, Feb 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ron Seida

Ron Seida Adventman

Oddometer:
    9Kg :eek1
    Dude, thats a lot of tent! Why do you need to stand up, landing a hot back packer is all about laying down :roflSeriously though, lets put this into perspective: You plan on spending a lot of time in your tent, so you will need a sleeping bag, and probably a sleeping mat (i recoment the Thermorest :thumb) Also, you will need some cooking utensles and probably a stove of some sort. Then you will need to pack a fuel bottle, and most importantly, water. Consider how much spece all of this stuff takes up and you are going to want to save as much room as possible. You have seen my tent, it´s a Bibler 4 season single wall 2 person tent. It´s ample for my needs and only weighs about 2.5 kg with poles and ground sheet. This tent although quite compact for it´s size takes up 1/4 of my packing space. In fact, my bags mainly hold my camping gear and my cold weather gear. Thje top box only holds my clothing, computer and things that need to be secure. I´m maxed out right now! So far i purchased a pair of boots and a beach blanket, but had to give a few things up to make the space. Before commiting to this tent, which im guessing will take up a lot of your ever so valuable space, you may want to consider something smaller and lighter that will still suit your needs. Just sayin...
    I´ve spent many years building up my kit for motorcycle travel, and have learned a lot of lessons to get to where im at now, so if you want some advise on good, packable equipment, you know where to find me.
    The Steel Pony bags have been very good so far, and i have no regrets! I wouldn´t hesitate to use them on another trip. Go with the silicone pad on the exhaust side! Frames are easy to build for the purpose they will serve.
  2. Mezo

Mezo Banned

Oddometer:
    I understand what your saying Ron, but just in case i happen to bump in to a groups of hotties like these on your trip,
    id be able to take full advantage of the situation and squeeze that little dumpling on the far right in to my four man tent :deal

Ya see all them skinny ones are to "up there own arses" to sleep with a biker in a two man tent,
    where as the the wee little porker on the right hasn't had an offer in months & fitting her in my four man wont be a problem :evil

[​IMG]
  3. Wolfdog

Wolfdog Not Scared

Oddometer:
    I like your realistic take on things, its refreshingly honest.

4. Dino3310

Dino3310 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    you'l be surprized what a bottle of wine will do to 'them skinny ones':lol3
  5. Ron Seida

Ron Seida Adventman

Oddometer:
    :rofl:rofl:rofl
    ¡Entiendo!
  6. Mezo

Mezo Banned

Oddometer:
    Two questions :D

1. I want a blue chain & new sproket kit, what size chain & sprocket is best, how many links & how many teeth front & rear,
    and which is the better chain? ive seen blue chains for as little as $50 going up to $120 for an EK chain.

[​IMG]

Question two, :D

Tires, what brand ? mainly road use for first part of trip & then sand second part of trip.

So long lasting less knobby first & then big fuck off knobby`s for the sandy sections (Fraser Island) suggestions for the two types please?

And tubes, ultra heavy mega nail resistant thick bastards? don`t care how much but must be the best on the market.

Cheers,

Mezo. :thumb
  7. DRjoe

DRjoe Long timer

Oddometer:
    blue chain :rofl
    your turning into a tenere snob. :lol3

I've been told that the Michelin ultra heavy duty tubes are the best you can get. Very expensive though $40 - $50

606's will be ok in the sand and last a long time but i wouldn't be running them on black top to for two long so I would try find one of the tires with the low wide knobs for the rest of the trip. (sorry i cant remember there names)

If you just want knobys for frazer island your quite welcome to use some that i have lying around.
  8. Mezo

Mezo Banned

Oddometer:
    Cheers, Joe.

I thought 606`s would be the sand choice & the tube was the answer i was looking for. It has Michelin trailwings on there at the moment, i heard the jokes "deathwings" so whats a decent but not over expensive alternative to trailwings in Aussie?

And the chain question hopefully be answered by an XT owner i hope, Raul :D

Mezo.
  9. DRjoe

DRjoe Long timer

Oddometer:
    The trailwings aren't that bad.
    I'm sure if you tried to do a nasty hill climb on them you would probably calling them deathwings but for tar and your standard gravel roads they are fine.
  10. LukasM

LukasM Long timer

Oddometer:
    On a RTW ride - currently touring the U.S.
    Your chain quality is going to suffer if you have to have blue.... I have used an EK on my R6 and don't like it near as much as a higher spec DID. Could you live with gold on gold?

[​IMG]

For a long lasting knobby check out the Mitas E-09 Dakar. Easy to recognize with the yellow stripe in the profile which would even match your paint scheme: :D

[​IMG]
  11. metropolis2k

metropolis2k Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Mine has a Trailwing on the back now and an Avon Gripster on the front. Can't tell what it's like to ride (as it is just a frame, engine and wheels at the moment) but I'd got a TKC80 front to go on it when it's up and running and I want to get dirty. Just like I want to get dirty with the skinny ones you pointed out in the photo. You can keep the fatty and your 4 man tent :lol3
  12. Mezo

Mezo Banned

Oddometer:
    I like the one in the middle with the cute smile, i certanly couldnt afford the one on the left with the phone in her hand, as for fatty,,, if i took a bag of flour with me id be able to roll her in it to find the wet bits, or i could ask her to fart to give me a clue :oscar

Mezo.
  13. DRjoe

DRjoe Long timer

Oddometer:
    :rofl

your banned from Noosa. you'll scare the girls away with that kinda talk.
  14. LukasM

LukasM Long timer

Oddometer:
    On a RTW ride - currently touring the U.S.
    You dirty old man! :D:clap

Besides, I hear it's just a matter of perspective anyway (pic stolen from another thread):

[​IMG]
  15. Mezo

Mezo Banned

Oddometer:
    This has nothing to do with my Tenere build, but seems were on the subject of beer goggles & fat chicks we shagged when we was pissed :D

This is the funniest TV ad ive ever seen in Australia, over here we have a thing called the B&S Ball (Bachelor & Spinster)
    this guys just pulled a fat ugly chick at the ball with hairy armpits & check out her belly hair, the guy says "Your Beewdifull"

Who`s been there & done that then :D

<object width="425" height="344">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/xQJubd3y5lM&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></object>
  16. DRjoe

DRjoe Long timer

Oddometer:
    :lol3:lol3:lol3
  17. Mezo

Mezo Banned

Oddometer:
    Listen to it again Joe & spot the "Who`s your daddy" haa :oscar
  18. Wolfdog

Wolfdog Not Scared

Oddometer:
    Thats gold.

19. Wolfdog

Wolfdog Not Scared

Oddometer:

I have'nt seen that one yet, it probably got banned by the man hating hairy femenist nazi's before it got to the east coast.

20. JensEskildsen

JensEskildsen Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think the same goes for the xt600's....Big'n'heavy Just....we never got real sober, so we still hang on to 'em thinking the world of them :freaky
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.