Mezo`s 1988 XT600 Rebuild Thread (Project Ténéré)

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Mezo, Feb 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wolfdog

Wolfdog Not Scared

Oddometer:
    Well I cant help you with the blue part of the chain request, i hope your joking about that, but i can point out one of the toughest chains in 520 on the market.

It was recomended to me by some guys that race 1000cc super bikes, they run RK GXW 520.

My brother rides a KTM 360 SX and was having all sorts of problems trying to keep chains on that thing ( mostly snaping and stretching to quick ) so I got him an RK GXW 520 back in 2002 and its still on it and still in good cond.

One of these chains will see you around Australia possibly a couple of times.

They are expensive, but they are top shelf stuff.
  2. metropolis2k

metropolis2k Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Haha classic :lol3
  3. Paulba

Paulba Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi Mezo,

Very interested in how you go with this project as I have a old 88 tenere that needs some work.

Ive had this from new and its got around 150,000km on the clock, its also sat around for the majority of the last 8 years gathering dust.

As you can see from the pics the tank is a mess so I am interested in how you went getting a good tank and your artwork for the decals.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Regards

Paul
  4. Mezo

Mezo Banned

Oddometer:
    That`s a perfect restoration job Paul, the usual dented tank (try find in a straight one) that`s two blokes in Aussie now that have had them from new, just says what a great bike they are.

Still waiting to hear back from the graphics guy on a price, ill keep all posted on that, if he does a nice job ill post a link on this thread & im sure he would do other sets for people, im going with standard graphics plus a bit of bling (im that sort of bloke) and yes i was serious about a blue chain :D

Ive just set up my PC at my mates place in his garage, where im staying for a few weeks till i get this bike built, there`s a real nice flat stainless workbench for stripping the engine down. I am sleeping under the stars next to the workshop, my roofer friend Tony assures me he will get a roof on before it rains :confused

Before i do anything i have a couple of leftovers from the DR sale still to ship to members, wrapping them at the weekend lads :deal

Mezo (comming live from the workshop)
  5. Mezo

Mezo Banned

Oddometer:
    OK Gents, coming to you live from a tin shed in Perth Western Australia :D

Ive been going through boxes, crap that ive hauld to my mates shed (Tony the roofer) fellow biker,
    i came upon the CD that Tony (not my Roofer mate) gave to me when i bought the bike,
    Tony is the nice Welshman i took the project over or from, confused? Two Tony`s.

Anyhoo, on the CD are pics that Tony took pulling the bike apart, this is not my garage & they are not my bikes,
    i repeat,,,, the previous owner of the project took the following pics.

And here they are,

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So there are a few pics to wet your appetite, there are a few guys chiming in to this thread thinking,
    Hmmm ive got a dusty ol TENERE sitting in the shed & the tellys a load of crap & im bored of hearing the same ol shite coming out the wifes mouth,
    time to get me a project :deal

Heres a couple of close up Tony`s took of the engine, there`s heaps on the CD ive just uploaded some of the main ones,
    he`s took close ups of the wiring & shit.

You see why i paid $800 bucks for it eh, i owe it to Tony to finish it off.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So there ya go Tony`s pics, not mine so don`t be asking stupid questions about the other bikes i have in the garage.

Now im set up in a workshop & im handy with a camera ill be able to give you all step by steps of the entire build,

so popcorn munchers "Stand by your beds"

:lurk

Mezo. :thumb
  6. dr trebor

dr trebor Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    How you going mezo when we having the send off beerfest ?:freaky.Was in Alice springs while ago a mint 750 super tenere sitting there owner was awol as a lot do in alice .Off to vietnam on monday can follow us the spot adventure tracking website Hope health is ok .Might need roof on by then.Spot ya when get back:eek1
  7. b0mb3r

b0mb3r Old Git

Oddometer:
    am now theres a bike in it ..... got board with stickers ..... ps nice pussy
  8. Uncle_Dave

Uncle_Dave Outback Traveller

Oddometer:
    I'm still here reading all this with great interest Mezo. :freaky

Here's another inspiration pic for you. Flat tyre on the Tenere in the middle of nowhere.
    [​IMG]

Cheers,
    Dave.
  9. DRjoe

DRjoe Long timer

Oddometer:
    well it looks like your projects have turned you crazy you piss head pom. :lol3

wheres the bike then?
  10. Mezo

Mezo Banned

Oddometer:
    send me the link to that, should be an epic trip, who's having the ship strapped to his bike then? LoL

send off beerfest up in the hills eh, plenty of room for that.

Enjoy the trip

Mezo.
  11. Mezo

Mezo Banned

Oddometer:
    Good news, i just checked with KEDO to see if the stainless headers were in yet & they are so ive ordered one.
    They was out of stock & told me to check back on the site in a couple of weeks.

[​IMG]

Cleaned off the years of crud on Tony`s bench & plopped the engine on.

[​IMG]

And here is my desk in the workshop, easy to take pics & upload to the thread :evil

[​IMG]

And here is my outside bed where im sleeping for the next few weeks, it has not rained here in three months, hope it stays that way until Tony puts me a roof on :deal

[​IMG]

And now im wrapping a DR650 frame ready to go over east, oh joy.

Mezo.
  12. LukasM

LukasM Long timer

Oddometer:
    On a RTW ride - currently touring the U.S.
    That is pretty funny! :lol3

Looks like you are well taken care of Mezo. That bed is as soft as it's gonna get for a while, better enjoy it while you can! Although I hear these things are amazing for life on the road: http://www.luxurylite.com/cotindex.html
  13. dr trebor

dr trebor Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    page 75 on Any Perth Rides there is a link on the tortiose. Hire bikes some GL 160s $ 370 for two weeks plus hotel for first and last nite with airport transfers and 60c pints of beer :freakyoh yeh
  14. Mezo

Mezo Banned

Oddometer:
    You would hope they was good Lukas for that sort of money, buy the time you have added the mat that`s almost $300 US, must admit they are nice & compact, ive got a self inflating mat for $80 the other day and its frigging huge but thick & comfy.

Truth being im limited with my money as ive not worked since the crash a few weeks back, so every dollar i spend on this comes out of the trip money. Ive ordered my GPS (Garmin 660) ive also ordered a netbook (Dell mini 910) with built in 3G to update the trip as i go. Im 99.9% sold on my skid lid (Arai XD-3) like the one Charlie McGregor & Ewen Boorman has. :D
    Got a jacket (Dryrider) secondhand from the ADV Aussie fleamarket, need boots, pants & gloves still.

Mezo.
  15. Mezo

Mezo Banned

Oddometer:
    60c beer eh, bit cheaper than Perth then :deal

Ive just bookmarked Vince`s spot tracker, ill be watching that next week & i may buy one myself just for emergency (another heart attack) :huh

Mezo.
  16. Mezo

Mezo Banned

Oddometer:
    Hi All :wave

Well i got in to the engine this morning, about to break for lunch :evil

Pulled both covers off, starter motor out as well.

[​IMG]

Also managed to chip off the crap holding the rear cog in place, we thought the thread was going to be rooted & thats why he had glued it on.
    Turns out he had lost the nut & simply glued it on to save some money (lucky me)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Did anyone notice the gear shift spline :deal

The leaning tower of Pizza :D

[​IMG]

Now that`s pretty rooted & at this stage the only reason to split the crank case.
    I had rang Tony (previous owner) and asked what condition was it in before he stripped it (engine sound) he said it was top end rattly but thought the bottom was working fine.
    So im going to take a gamble & rebuild it with new top end & try it out & see how it runs around the block, if it selects gears & no whine from any gears that will do me for the trip.

If there`s a problem ill pull it back out & split the thing, this decision ive taken with advice from friends will save me at least two weeks & possibly a couple of grand in parts (as you would renew everything if you split it).

So lunchtime, yum yum.

After my feed im going to strip the valves out of the head & have a closer inspection.

[​IMG]

Mezo. :thumb
  17. Mezo

Mezo Banned

Oddometer:
    OK after lunch i pulled the valves out & removed the inlet manifolds, glad i did as the seats are in need of attention, im going to clean up what i have and see if they need a re-cut or whether i can get away with just lapping them in (doubtfull).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I will clean up the ports as well, not a proper gas flow just a "tidy up" to remove casting marks & crap that`s built up.

Now back to scraping crud. :deal

Mezo.
  18. r00t4rd3d

r00t4rd3d ADV Rider

Oddometer:
    When is your wife gonna let you move into the house ?

:evil
  19. Mezo

Mezo Banned

Oddometer:

Wife? dodged that early on in life, dodged having kids & mortgage as well.

Mezo.
  20. Wolfdog

Wolfdog Not Scared

Oddometer:
    Mezo,

I know you have decided not to open the bottom end, but i think you should reconsider delving into the bottom end while you have it on the bench with the top end off.

see what you found when you removed the valves, ( seats in need of attention ) If you open the bottom end you may find some gears that need replacing, and even if everything is tip top in there, at least you will know for sure and you'll be able to sleep better without that niggling thought of ( I hpoe its ok in there ) co's im just about to bang another 20,000 k's through an already high milage gear box.

I know you dont want to hear all that co's you had already desided, I had a similar situation a few years ago with a TT 600 bottom end, when i opened its guts i found a few gears had lost there hard facing and rounded dogs.

Some times the long way is the short way, meaning if you go a bit further now you wont have to go through stripping it again after building it and finding its got an issue in the bottom end.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.