MG's Short Adventures on Three

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by MGV8, Oct 1, 2021.

1. MGV8

MGV8 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I struggled to decide where to place my ride report. None of mine are epic Journeys or Round the World trips. They mostly consist of week or two Solo trips exploring close to Home. I have posted a couple of others which have a start and an end but this one will be more of a catch all as I head into retirement and have more time to travel. I Hope !!!
    Here was my first attempt at a story and my first venture out on Three wheels
    https://advrider.com/f/threads/trundle-to-the-nwt.1254156/

This was the biggest one so far and we are going back when things open up again
    https://advrider.com/f/threads/three-wheels-to-tuk.1338852/

And if you are slightly interested in my slow saga onto Three Wheels this is the ongoing story, updated as shit happens.
    https://advrider.com/f/threads/what-the-frig-do-i-do-now.838648/

I think these three Threads basically tell my history so I won't bore you with all that here :D
    I an going to try to remember and start this Thread off with last years travel but for now just a teaser from this years Solo.
    Chilco Lake
    tempImageTAPvGm.jpg
  2. MGV8

Oddometer:
    So! Last Summer. Covid was here but it didn't really feel like it here in BC. My dear Kathy and I had had a couple of weeks with the Camper in the Kootenay's but had missed a few spots as we were limited by Kathy's sense of adventure. :-) We still managed to find a few nice spots. The difference between Solo journeys and travels together is interesting. I like both but with the compromise involved to maintain 40 plus years of marriage and have a fun camping trip I prefer Solo once in a while. All I'm going to say about that!!
    tempImageP1FsPD.jpg

tempImage84tOPf.jpg

tempImage4jTC2W.jpg

Ok Last years Solo. I never really plan a trip, I just have some vague idea of where I am going. Plus the various things I find on the internet suck me into trying to find what ever place that strikes my interest. Last year it was Canoe Mountain. Supposedly the highest drivable road in Canada and it was close to home.
    So off we Go-- All packed and ready
    tempImageRGBfFD.jpg

I always seem to be heading North, so the Adams Lake FSR that take one to the Agate Road is the Shortest way,
    tempImageG4OTyi.jpg

Of course this time I had a yen to see the TumTum. So North of Adams Lake and then 100 k following along the Valley to Tum Tum lake. My maps were showing that the FSRs would hook up with Highway 5 just South of Blue River. My rough destination for the day.
    Not to Be
    tempImageVMam7H.jpg

More as in a washout. Grrrr. Now what.

tempImage5nXpiE.jpg
    Muscongus, popscycle, 'Bob' and 2 others like this.
  3. MGV8

Oddometer:
    If you are not familiar with the places or roads that I list off, time to get out a map of BC. :-) I do use a GPS but never save a route and have no idea how to convert to what ever file that I need for posting. I use the GPS more for confirmation that I am on the right road or to route my way to fuel or a spot in some strange town.

Back to the Tum Tum. With the route blocked, Maybe some dual sport could have gotten through the wash out but not me. At 1400 pounds the rig is hard to get un-stuck so I try to avoid it. More on that later. So taking a break I check out the lake. At one spot I meet an older couple launching a large Canoe. Turns out they have been coming to the lake every year for the last 27 years and spend a couple of weeks camping up the lake. Nice.

I did pace the gap in the blocks and with some jiggling I could have made it through. Not Today:lol3
    tempImagevu4FXC.jpg

Tum Tum lake is a beautiful spot and remote enough that not many people ever get there. I was tempted to set up camp sit was late afternoon but it was still too early and being the first day of the trip I was antsy to still put on some K's
    tempImageHqrrDr.jpg

tempImageMSN84H.jpg

The only way now was to pound my way back the 100 K back to the last intersection and then take the FSR the 40 K out to Vavenby My pace increased a tad.

Stopped here to watch a group pulling Kayaks out of the North Adams River. Popular spot for that, Who knew!! That must have been why the truck was parked half on the road 30 k back or so.
    tempImage4PYq6M.jpg

So that was the Tum Tum. Not sure I need to go back, a long way in just to have to turn around again. Seen it now.
    tempImageo4mnON.jpg
    Out to Vavenby and Highway 5. Fuel stop in Avola and ask about camping. Oh it's by the wrecking yard! hmmm. Getting late now but Blue River here we come. Roll in just at dusk and find the one commercial camp ground.
    Last winter I had treated my self to a new tent. A Redverz Solo. Now I had set it up so I was a bit familiar but still struggled and it was dark by the time I was setting up. Got it done. Bigger that I expected and my tenting spot was small. Oh well I can stand up which is the whole idea.
    Supper and bed
    tempImageNTrDre.jpg
    Muscongus, zzzak, popscycle and 2 others like this.
  4. MGV8

Oddometer:
    Today was going to be the big day. Find and ride up to the top of Canoe Mountain. It looks down on Canoe Reach which is part of Kinbasket Lake. A lake formed by Mica Dam on the Columbia river.
    I struggled packing up the tent. Grumbling that maybe I had made the wrong choice. "Who needs to stand up in a tent, anyways"
    After breakfast, noticing that there were no real Covid protocols in place, I hit the road. This is where I could see all the construction of the new pipe line. I believe most people who drive/ride this route have had no idea that there has been a pipe line right beside the highway for the last fifty years. Time for an upgrade so lets not protest and just get our resources to market. Some thing has to pay for all these social services we all get. I digress :becca
    After counting down the K's I find what I think is the road. Yep, it is the road. OH OH. Not what I expected. They said 4x4 or 4wd SUV. I'm usually good to go on those. This, well more of a Quad road. 1 Kilometre in, Stuck!!!!:dirtdog
    Too steep too rough for a loaded rig with 1WD

tempImage2WtcM6.jpg
    tempImageg5i4JD.jpg

So now what?? Kicked a trench and managed to get sort of sideways. Out comes the winch, yes, I have a winch. Here I used it more to hold the rig from falling over than to actually pull it. Yes it was that steep. I had already changed my mind about the road and was looking for a spot to turn around when forward progress stopped.
    tempImagecZuwkc.jpg
    An hour later and much huffing and puffing I was free. Being 63 at the time plus with a some what sketchy back I have to take my time. :lol3

tempImageRmc5x1.jpg

Canoe Mountain will have to wait for another day when 2wd is an option. What to do now? There is still the top end of Kinbasket lake. It almost looks like the roads connect from the Donald end of the lake. It will be nice when they do. Turns out even if I had made it up to the top the view would have been blocked by the clouds.
    tempImagelJ7LIL.jpg
    From the other side

tempImagechLqdn.jpg

As far as the road takes you from Valemount. You need a boat from here. Hmmmm. Maybe an inflatable Kayak is in my future ???
    tempImageRw0Cat.jpg

Back into town to supply, I had left home with only a couple of beer :D I hadn't made any plans beyond this point and only had my local riding groups camp out in Midway as a final destination. Which way to go East Or West when I get to Tete' Jaune Cache. I'll make my choice as I head into the rain. Glorious Rain!! Not!!
    popscycle, 'Bob' and B10Dave like this.
  5. MGV8

Oddometer:
    I muddle around a bit deciding what to do. Should I head west and South or stick to the "no plan" Lets see if there is a spot at Mt. Robson?
    I find a few open spots but the rain is coming down hard and it is still early in the day. Let's see what Jasper has to offer. I do stop at the last camp ground in BC for a light lunch of Jerky and Coffee, bought a pound of the Jerky at Avola. Not bad, and I carry the left over Coffee from the morning in a Thermos. Terrible stuff, some day I will learn how to make good camp coffee!!!. This camp doesn't entice me to stay.
    Once in Jasper I head to Whistlers Camp Ground, stayed there before. Closed up and being rebuilt. They have bulldozed almost the entire site!! One of the park officials later tells me there is going to be 800+ sites. WTF!!
    I head to Wapiti worried now that maybe it is full. It is a long weekend after all. Not to worry lots af spots and people packing and leaving on-mass due to the rain. I set Up, Did I mention I Love my new tent!!!
    tempImageNHTzrF.jpg

tempImagepMz7gk.jpg

One of the reasons for the rebuild of the Whistlers Campground is the bug kill. Most of the big pines have died. Hmmm is that fresh snow?? Oh well summer in Canada.

E3E93E5B-7782-4CC0-8A33-BFB253296349.jpeg

After a full day and night of rain, I decided to spend the next day poking around Jasper. Plus the morning brings on a beautiful day so good to dry things out a tad.
    tempImageOqu1Jy.jpg

After hiking around the campground checking out all the campers and watching the masses packing up I headed to town for supplies. Beer of course:D
    Of all the times I have been in Jasper I have never been up to Pyramid Lake. Nice spot with lots of trails to explore. Maybe when I bring Kathy up here we'll check some of them out. Just be prepared for the Masses, it is a very touristy spot. Still if you're patient you can get a good picture. Very Patient:dirtdog

tempImagectUXXX.jpg

tempImageF6gpkr.jpg

tempImageOReWAe.jpg
    zzzak, popscycle, 'Bob' and 1 other person like this.
  6. MGV8

Oddometer:
    After town I made the trek up to one of my favourite spots. Edith Cavell -- I was going to hike to the meadows but it was a tad late in the day by now so I passed. I did have a good yak with a couple of young guys heading out for a 5 day hike. Their packs looked a tad too heavy for my skinny legs to carry. I think a Moto to carry camping gear is way more civilized.
    tempImageipG7jI.jpg
    The Glacier is much smaller than I remember it. It was only five years since I was here.
    tempImagecXwnUV.jpg

tempImageWxN4Wj.jpg

Back to camp.

You can see the devastation that the bug kill has had. Maybe another sign of the end of the last Ice Age. Or global Climate change as they call it now. Has man had an effect, sure he has, can we change it, probably not. Enough on that subject!!
    tempImage9qBY4M.jpg
    Ahh! "fire."

tempImage3NMHqY.jpg

Ahh! "Beer"
    tempImage2XJUBi.jpg
  7. MGV8

Oddometer:
    Spent an enjoyable evening watching, then helping various campers get fires started or sharing my spoils. I was surprised by how many were just sleeping in their cars. Some were not even New Canadians. I was quite comfy in my new castle..
    The next morning I shared breakfast and coffee with a young French Canadian who was biking the parkway. Enjoyable fellow. Professor at one of their uni's He was busy calculating how many calories he needed to eat. Me, I had a full tank of fuel so no need to fuss. [​IMG]
    I lazily packed up and hit the road. Had to stop for those picture moments. Or to Pee!
    tempImages86spW.jpg

tempImage5qqxzI.jpg

tempImage15AKAk.jpg

tempImagetHYQ2h.jpg
    I had no real route planned but kinda knew where I was going, Kinda how I travel. I had done highway 40 and 743 on my last trip through here. Of course I need to travel a route multiple times before it is really fixed in my brain. I had forgotten a lot route so it was nice for a re-fresh. I did hit Hinton to top off my fuel, 280 k I think it said with no service. About my limit hauling all my gear. I do carry extra so no worries about calorie calculations.
    zzzak, Dynamick, popscycle and 3 others like this.
  8. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    Great start Brian. I will be keeping an eye on this RR.
  9. MGV8

Oddometer:
    This route is so relaxing and you see so few people you can stop in the middle of a bridge for a ten minute break. Don't get me wrong there is action on this road. It is well maintained as there is active Gas Exploration with the odd high speed service truck from time to time. just keep that in mind.
    tempImageh7kmvO.jpg

tempImageF2Q32f.jpg

tempImagemEqOFW.jpg

Up high in the foothills the Fall colours are starting.

tempImage4Hr9dD.jpg

tempImagexl4bNv.jpg

tempImageNDgrMU.jpg

I did go into Cadomin, Not much there now that the big Coal Mine just North of there is closed. Bet a house is real cheap, most were for Sale. Stopped to ask a group of Quaders about how the road was South of town, It shows on the map connecting back to 743. Washed out and not fixed. Back to 743 Not falling for that again.
    popscycle and B10Dave like this.
  10. MGV8

Oddometer:
    I find 743 below Nordegg more to my liking so had planned to camp at the Provincial Park Ram Falls. I had been this way on my return trip from Tuk so kinda knew where I was going. But first we needed fuel and some supper-- I found that my eggs had not survived the pounding of the wash board from the previous leg of the journey. I also lost my mixed nuts and I must remember to wash the top box out when I get home. What a mess, Yuk!. While in Nordegg I get the idea that a can of soup might fit the bill for dinner, but one thing I don't have is a Can opener. So after an exhaustive search of all the stores ( two) I find one, Soup and opener in hand, off I head to the camp site, sixty or so k south of town.
    tempImageATE7mq.jpg
    Hmmm Fresh snow from the other night. Plus fresh Calcium chloride, no dust today :D

tempImageVvBxZS.jpg

Well, Ram falls was a bust. closed for the season, plus I would have had to make Reservations, Damn Covid. I did hike into the falls, not really a hike as it is only a few hundred Meters
    tempImagedPjrA2.jpg

It was more to see the stair case than the water falls. When we spend tax payer money we spend it.
    tempImage0FmCwy.jpg
    Was still too early to stop anyways. Maybe I'll call. Ah no cell service. Good one guys

tempImage2lBPfZ.jpg

Maybe these guys are why they call it Ram Falls.

tempImagenbaC6A.jpg

tempImageWLmJYM.jpg

tempImage6zlaAX.jpg
  11. MGV8

Oddometer:
    What to do? Heading South but still climbing I see a Trailer parked in a spot above the road, I flip around and talk to the young couple. They invite me to stay beside them but I elect to give them their space and set up camp in the field below them. Basically camping on Crown Land ( Does She still really own it? ) is fair game. Awesome spot but find it hard to find enough space between the cow patties to set up. I note where they all are for those late night excursions out side the tent. After my wonderful can of soup, I wander up and have a great evening visiting with Zak and Kyla and their Cat!!. It is a great night, cold and clear with Stars beyond imagine. Later, I just can't get my feet warm, nice thick Alpaca socks and every thing. Of course with the Beverages, I just get my feet warm enough to fall a sleep to wake up and have to Pee! Starting the whole process over. Damn this getting "old" thing can be a pain at times [​IMG] Any ways I wake up to heavy frost but bright sunshine. Most wonderful way to start the day. Hot coffee is most welcome.
    tempImageKc2XxR.jpg

tempImageQXalyC.jpg

tempImage2ptwrz.jpg

tempImagetCa8ET.jpg

tempImageXJs9w5.jpg

I pack up and head out. No one is stirring at the camp trailer. Maybe the cat kept them up all night, maybe something else. Ah, to be young. :D

I just love this part of the eastern Rockys.
    tempImage4o9wAf.jpg

tempImage7l37vg.jpg

xcsks, Dynamick, radmann10 and 4 others like this.
  12. MGV8

Oddometer:
    Having only a week for this trip and wanting to end up at Midway for the club camp out, I know today is going to be a big day as I still have a ways to go to make up for the lazy day I spent in Jasper. Early start and just keep moving til you can't or it gets too dark.
    tempImagev3oGNj.jpg

Once at this Bridge I know I am close to Pavement, Hour or so

tempImage9umAbc.jpg

A bit of a break and some of my awful coffee :lol3

tempImageQkk60D.jpg

This Road pops you out at Ghost River, and I have done it several times now so on familiar ground. Just as I hit pavement I see a group stopped in a pull off, I pull in, more for a break than a yak but hey, take the opportunity. Turns out the Gal is riding a new 750 GS and her partner, who isn't there has had an electrical fire on his new 1250 GS which has disabled the ECU. We have a little discussion about adding farkles and how it can effect your warranty. And of course there is the side car delay factor. :-)

Once on pavement, I can start to make up time, but not before a stop for gas and a check in with Kathy, I have been out of Cell coverage for a couple of days. So west on Highway 1a and then up over highwood. Thinking there is fuel at where the ski hill is, Kananaskis ?? I pass on the fuel at the start. Hmmm I had forgotten that it is 10 k further on. In the mean time I am calculating my range as I know my route is going to use most of my tank up. My range with this rig has me doing this more often than not. Kind of why I have the new GSA as a tug for the new one that is in the works. But, I get side tracked.

tempImagePqXdmm.jpg

I have read about the Alberta 940 and wanted to do it for a while, now is my chance. Turns out it is a Gravel Super highway, with some not so nice wash board. !!
    tempImageU65biJ.jpg

Does have the odd nice vista though.
    tempImagemCYaeY.jpg

There are lots of nice looking camp spots towards the lower end of the 940 but I now have a destination in mind.
    tempImageJw4WUr.jpg
  13. MGV8

Oddometer:
    Made it! Once in Fernie I'm in good shape to complete my route and make the Campout by Friday. The first place I stop at, stayed there when Don (who has been involved with every bike purchase I have made, drive and ride) and I picked up this very bike so I could attach the sidecar to it. Anyways, 324.00 for the suite, only thing left, ouch, no thank you. Across the street, 109 bucks, perfect. Plus first pub meal of the trip. Clean, fed up, and a good nights sleep I am ready for the day.
    Not before a stop here, to fill the Thermos, with coffee only slightly better than mine. Oh Well, better is better, Right?
    tempImageH5sZ16.jpg

So when Kathy and I had visited here earlier this year I had a yen to take the back road to White swan. Hartley Pass over to Sulphur creek. good thing she nixed that idea. Sidecar yeah OK Truck and camper hauling Side car, not OK.
    Lots of fun finding my way through the turns of the un marked old FSRs. But the GPS assures me I am on Sulphur Creek and then I find out why. Boils right out of the mountain and smells. So cool

tempImagess6jGo.jpg

tempImagegLpyTL.jpg

Lots of side roads to explore another day

tempImageqp1sE1.jpg

If you look close you can see the Sulphur spring coming right out of the cliff bottom.
    tempImage6vrY2x.jpg

Better Close up.
    tempImagePysj30.jpg

So Much of beautiful BC that almost no one has seen.
    tempImageq9FPAR.jpg
  14. MGV8

Oddometer:
    So Sulphur Creek FSR joins the Bull River FSR. Turns out it is one of the best known Fly fishing rivers around. I can see why. I stop and chat with a young fellow who is checking out every pool he can get too. Catch and release only but he is very excited about the big ones he is reeling in.
    tempImageWrroT6.jpg

The Bull river

tempImageFXgxNd.jpg

After leaving him to his fishing, I head further up the road, some where around the fifty k mark, I see a lone bicycle coming my way, Some gal with full kit and all by herself, we each wave and don't stop but I would have loved to get her story. A while later I come around a corner to find the road blocked by a dozen or so Quads. Turns out they are all from Invermere and have a get together here every year, 25 or so and running. Good chat and they were most interested in my rig. Giving out lots of ideas. They suggested I stop at Munroe lake and I am glad I took the time.

tempImageIuqxyt.jpg

The one thing that is also impressive about the upper Bull River and the White River area is that there was a massive forest fire up there. The whole valley has been burnt off for miles and miles. ( didn't seem right to say Kilometers and Kilometers) they are in full salvage mode. Also I passed over a hight of land, the river is now flowing the other way but Both ending up in the Columbia ( I think)

tempImageVW0cEh.jpg

The White River
    tempImage3cKzeW.jpg

I enter the White river area and get the idea to follow the FSR up to the Kootaney FSR and then out to Canal Flats but alas there is a sign saying "washed out at 48 K" At least there is a sign !!!
    So on to White swan lake and out.

tempImagelvH3yd.jpg

Whiteswan lake. The clearest water I've seen in a while.
    tempImaged3kcPJ.jpg

popscycle, 'Bob' and B10Dave like this.
  15. MGV8

Oddometer:
    As I bounce along the 30 k or so from Whiteswam lake to Canal Flats I start to calculate how much time is left in my day. Oh road to the left where does it go, quick check of the map and it leads to Premier Lake. Ok I'm in. Gets nasty for a bit but I persist. Turns out I'm on the old bit and I should have turned sooner. Still it takes me where I want and I am soon on pavement again. Of course now that I am in Southern BC, I have to stop and strip off some layers. It's getting warm. I stop in Kimberly for a late Lunch, early supper. As I sit there have an oh so good coffee, Thinking, now how do I get to Midway from Kimberly and avoid Highway 3. Hmmm, Gray Creek to Crawford bay, Stay at Toad Rock, Up to Nakusp, Needles, Edgewood, Take the Granby down to Grandforks, hey I might be there before Beer O'clock . sorry not many pictures, just too busy moving.

tempImage4KK1OD.jpg

So Gray Creek was rougher than I remember. Beat me and rig up pretty good climbing up to the pass. Lots of bikes going the other way. They fixed the wash out from the spring but just, that is where is was rough. I was thinking I was doing pretty good at taking this on late in the day to come upon a group of three on bicycles, all with greyer hair than mine, heading for the pass. That's 2000 meters by the way, and we were still only at 1600. Good on them but what's with all these people out in the middle of nowhere with nothing but pedal power and minimal gear. As I said before give me an ICE any day.

Grey Creek is listed as one of Canada's most challenging roads, it really isn't
    tempImageyK3YiT.jpg

On pavement I rush to hit the ferry, In line I meet Roman, German lad caught here by Covid with a year long work permit but no work, Riding all over and loosing track of days. Must be nice. We camp together at Toad Rock. Been 15 years since I stayed there last. Every thing has changed but stayed the same if you know what I mean. There was a group of Gals having a reunion and such a good time I had to put in ear plugs to get to sleep. They were still at it when I peed at 3. LOL. Roman and I shared info in the morning in case he needed any thing for the last part of his stay in Canada. Good guy.

tempImage03rkMN.jpg

Breakfast in New Denver and the rest of the trip went by in a flash, other than the two sailing wait at the needles ferry. Ah well lots of folks to chat with. :-)

tempImagef8QRlZ.jpg

16. MGV8

Oddometer:
    I made Midway about 4 in the after noon. The young fellow that works for me and his wife had just arrived as well and were setting up. The whole RV contingent were already in place, with a few other riders showing up here and there. After this summer and the shut down, it was nice to see every one. I was so busy visiting after not really seeing any one this year that I forgot to take any pictures. Oh well we all know what my tent looks like and what an RV looks like.
    Saturday Chris and I went for a little explore up in the hills, we followed a few dead ends but eventually found our way to Green wood. Chris had a flat right at a good time as it was right where the road was going to take us into private property, The owner happened to come along right then and wasn't amused that we were there. There was a conversation about guys with guns up and about in this area. The road hadn't been marked up until that point, so I was a little annoyed about his tone. Chris fixed his tire while I tried to help and the owner of the property proceeded to target practice below us. I ducked for the first few shots until I remembered that you don't hear the shot that kills you, I relaxed a bit after that. :-0
    Once the tire was fixed we high tailed back the way we came.
    tempImagekCrX5p.jpg

tempImageBgUZjx.jpg

tempImageeCQYvA.jpg

tempImageTyLYI8.jpg

tempImagebBgXZS.jpg
    That night, a good meal was had in town, a fire was made back a camp, tales were told, laugher rang out, a few beer were drank. All was right with the world for a brief moment.

So Sunday, Last day. [​IMG]We pack up and Chris and I decide to see if we can make it from Greenwood over to the Christian valley road. We do with out too much trouble, then scouting the maps we try from there over to Highway 33. We pop out just South of Beaverdale. I could look up the FSRs but the names probably wouldn't mean much here. A stop at a fellow club members place in Beaverdale for coffee and a quick visit. Why can't I think of the name as I type this, Oh yeah, grey hair again. !!! then a drop down the hill into the busyness of Kelowna, :beccaand over to home, wonderful little Canoe. Not bad, 2700 k with an awful lot of it gravel and one dirty rig to clean. Maybe, when I get time, maybe this winter [​IMG]

tempImageIXI3jr.jpg

tempImageDYqUWJ.jpg

So that was last year. I was able to copy and paste from a report I did for our local club so it went quick. This years trip will take a bit longer as I have to make it up as I go. And remember the details. That grey hair thing again. This year I explored a totally different area and it just made so I want to explore even more. There is so much of just BC to see little lone the rest of the world. Time is a ticking lets go.
    From time to time I'll update this Thread with trips that I hope you will enjoy. Till then See you on the road.

zzzak, xcsks, radmann10 and 4 others like this.
  17. RedDogAlberta

RedDogAlberta High Plains Drifter

Oddometer:
    Great stuff and fantastic photos!
    MGV8 likes this.
  18. yobuddy

yobuddy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Beautiful country up there. Thanks for sharing!
    MGV8 likes this.
  19. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    Great pics and narrative Brian. Thanks for sharing.
    MGV8 likes this.
  20. 'Bob'

'Bob' Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    @MGV8 , thanks for the route descriptions, pics and narrative. It's nice to see the different routes you take to your meetups.