MI Street titled dirtbike question

Discussion in 'Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States' started by monjorrow, Feb 15, 2021.

1. monjorrow

monjorrow Young n Dumb

Oddometer:
    Hi all, I have a question I think the inmates here may be able to help me out with.
    I'm going to look at a CRF450X later this week, the owner says it has a street legal title but it is not currently plated. He says it will need a horn, signals, and mirrors to get it plated. If it already has the street title will I need to have it inspected for everything to get a plate for it? How can I tell the difference in a street title and an offroad title in MI? I've only been here about a year and have not owned anything with a MI title yet so would like to get some insight before I make the deal. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!
  2. pigjockey

pigjockey Hognuts the T-bagger

Oddometer:
    Wisconsin A half dozen miles from ROAD AMERICA
    Should be easy seeing your a resident. Just take the title to the SOS and pay the taxes and lic. Fees. Give them a call just to be sure.
    monjorrow likes this.
  3. pigjockey

Oddometer:
    I had two dirt bikes plated in mi. But they are dumping us out of staters. In state should go as easy as plating a car. And also when I went to plate mine I rode the bike to mi. And they didn’t want to look at the bike. They figure that’s the cops job to figure out if you should get stopped. Very simple process I must say.
    Edit- make sure you get your trail stickers if you need them there.
  4. monjorrow

monjorrow Young n Dumb

Oddometer:
    Did the titles look like a regular vehicle title? They didn't say anything about an off road vehicle, correct?
  5. pigjockey

Oddometer:
    Don’t matter I believe. My one title had 4 different names plastered on it from previous owners trying to plate it. The computers know it’s a dirt bike as soon as the vin is entered. Mi. Plates dirt bikes in staters no problem. Like I said I’d give the SOS a call just to be sure. I had no problems being an out of stater doing it. Oh yeah almost forgot don’t forget insurance on the bike. Just ad it to your car ins. Mine was super cheap just for liability like 75 per bike per year. Have fun
    I think one just said motorcycle and one said off road. Mi. gave me both titles saying motorcycle. And my ins. Co. Never questioned why I had a out of state plate on a dirt bike
    monjorrow likes this.
  6. JRMAL

JRMAL Long timer

Oddometer:
    You'll probably have to make an appointment to transfer the title. Go to the MI. SOS website and find the transferring title info.
    You'll not get anyone on the phone.
    I just transferred a used trailer from out of state and had to make appointment. In and out in about 10 minutes.
    monjorrow likes this.