1. eNewsletter Sign Up

Miami to Canada

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Nicolombia, Sep 19, 2007.

1. Nicolombia

Nicolombia Adventurer

Oddometer:
    rdgh
  2. J. Clarke

J. Clarke Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    December-January plan on it being _cold_ as you go north. Average daily temperature in Montreal in January is 22F during the day and 6F at night--note that that's _average_--it's going to be closer to 6 than to 22 when you start out in the morning and if your luck isn't good then you're going to hit "colder than average". Personally if I were buying specifically for that trip I'd go for something with a full fairing and enough power to comfortably handle a full electric suit.

Plan on losing some days to weather--ice storms and snow pretty much render the roads unrideable, and January has the peak snowfall for most of the areas on the northern part of your ride. Further, the four-lanes tend to get plowed earlier and more often than the surface streets.

Personally I think that I'd plan to go one way along the coast and the other along the Appalachian Mountains--that would let you get the Blue Ridge Parkway and Deal's Gap into your itinerary. Would make for a narrower loop than you have planned and snow might be more of an issue at higher elevations, but should be more scenic. Maybe go North in the mountains and try to beat the snow then South along the coast where the proximity of the ocean keeps the temperatures a bit warmer in the coldest months. That ride from Montreal to Chicago or vice versa north of the Great Lakes in winter is likely to be one of the more "memorable" experiences in your life.

Don't treat the cold lightly--it can kill you. Google "hypothermia"--there are several good sites that address it. Know the signs and know what do to about it before it gets so far advanced that you can't self-recover.
  3. J. Clarke

J. Clarke Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Didn't mean to scare you out of doing it. It's definitely doable. You just need to be prepared for the conditions.
  4. timk519

timk519 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I did a similar route over October - but I was starting in Kitchener Ontario to FL and then back again. If you can make this run earlier in the season, it would be chilly, but do-able.
  5. Ed_in_miami

Ed_in_miami Cubicle Traveler

Oddometer:
    :vardy :vardy :vardy :vardy :vardy :vardy :vardy
    Brrrrr.....
  6. scmiata1990

scmiata1990 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm from Kitchener, which is located one hour from Toronto. January and
    February up here is definately not riding weather. The roads are typically
    salt or snow covered. Montreal would be much worse. 2 feet of snow
    on the ground...minimum.

I love our area but consistent/safe riding conditions are really limited to April through October. Anything between November and March can easily have snow. Please make the trip up here some time but limit it to spring/summer and fall. Winter here is for hockey and snowmobiling.

Best of luck.

Danny
  7. klxmack

klxmack king of the box

Oddometer:
    Usually around January, I travel from Ottawa to Miami. Try your trip in July. You will love it.