Michaux Dual Sport 2020

Discussion in 'Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carp' started by Matt_Mc, Jan 23, 2020.

1. StanBo

StanBo Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thank you to all of the volunteers that took the day of the event to work it and all of the legwork and prep work for the event.

I tried to slow down and thank all of you as I passed. If I missed a couple, THANK YOU!

If it was done by chance then great. But if it was done thru planning Kudos. The first option being a "B" was a smart move in my book. It worked for me. I don't know the damn differences between the options. Riding the "B" and seeing what was in store for the rest of the "B" options put my day into scale. Finishing the first "B" was not impossible but I was overworked and out of my depth.

Arriving at the first "C" option meant a quick decision. I questioned "Do I just really suck at this and "Cs" will be just as horrible as "Bs?" I did the first "C" option figuring if it stunk as well I would just do the main loop but if it rocked I could do all of the remaining "Cs".

IT ROCKED!

It was tight. There were rocks and obstacles. The rain and wet ground was great. There was a bit more clearing and a slightly longer sight line. With being able to see a bit further I could adjust my timing and flow. I didn't have any flow in "B", but can't wait to make that level of technical riding my norm.

Snake Hill Option was my favorite of the ride. The back end downhill section of it was exciting. I have never been on anything as long with that grade and type of terrain. It was a great last option and one that will take me a while to forget.

The arrows along with roll-chart and GPS was more that enough to figure the road out. This was my first event that had both options and as a guy that leads packs (not for skill or speed but because I have a GPS and use it a lot) it was FANTASTIC. Not only did I have my purple line to follow but even when I wasn't keeping my odometer aligned I could get a hint for the next turn, or a description of the option that was coming up.

When I got a little turned around on the second half I asked a pack of riders what loop they were on. Once I ran into a pack that was riding the second half I followed them and got back to the main loop. Got back to the main loop, yes I had to do that because I wasn't loading the tracks provided for the options.

So again thank you, the options were hard enough to ride and have fun while also figuring out the loop without the gps!

The warnings for speed that were highlighted in yellow worked well as well as the WRONG WAY or WARNING signs.

Thanks for picking a darker color for the tee shirt. They are worn at work and as a mechanic they don't look so great after a couple dirty jobs. The smaller logo up front and full logo on the back is also a good move.

I consider this event my "riding report card" and I am pretty damn happy with my growth. Sadly it only comes the hard way. There isn't much rocky enduro single-track in my area so events that take place in PA are pretty much my practice and reporting.

Is it MORE 2021 yet?

Can we get a multi day event like 2019 again?

Thank you again to all that worked and rode the event.

Attached Files:

2. StanBo

StanBo Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:

Attached Files:

Richard S Pelkowski and Sno Dawg like this.
  3. docgonzo

docgonzo Old Gadfly

Oddometer:
    within 20 miles of the Center of the Universe
    What an amazing event! I'm not very good at rocks, and some of the sections of downhill definitely intimidated this 75 year old. But thanks to SnoDawg and StanBo, I got through the 1st half with only two crashes. One from a rut that got me, and the second one from a nice slimy 45 degree root.
    Guys, thanks for putting up with me.
    Organizers, you put together a 1st Class COVID-19 sensitive event, and every single volunteer had a smile on their face and was overly helpful. Kudos!
    :clap:clap:clap
    Doc.C, NJDualsporter, mrxinpa and 2 others like this.
  4. Sno Dawg

Sno Dawg Long timer

Oddometer:
    Agree 100% with @docgonzo about DVTR dealing with Covid-19, social distancing, and mask-wearing at the event.

Bravo and thank you!
    Sno Dawg
    2020081621000134--4218107445981958-IMG_1502-X4.jpg
  5. RJ Str8

RJ Str8 Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sorry to miss it, congrats on a great event! Question for those lucky enough to ride the event this year: think it would have been doable on a ktm 790R for a competent rider? I assume the main route would but what about B or C options?
  6. Crazybrian

Crazybrian Resident Moose

Oddometer:
    C options yes. Easy B options yes. Hard B options depends on the rider.
  7. Matt_Mc

Matt_Mc Long timer

Oddometer:
    I want to remind everyone of our sponsors Social Still and Revzilla. They donated a TON of raffle prizes this year along with special gifts for all the volunteers. PLEASE visit their web sites or stores and make purchases from them ! Both are local and have staff directly involved in our club.

There's also a 10% discount active at Revzilla. Please share it with everyone !

MichauxDS2020
  8. Crazybrian

Crazybrian Resident Moose

Oddometer:
    Does anyone know where one would find the link to the person taking pictures there?
  9. docgonzo

docgonzo Old Gadfly

Oddometer:
    Revzilla is amazing! You would not believe the GRAND PRIZE they gave out! A Klim outfit, Helmet, gloves, jersey and pants! Unbelievable!
    The helmet is made of carbon fiber and weighs just over two pounds!
    IMG_2302.JPG
    Trail Ryder, mrxinpa, StanBo and 3 others like this.
  10. Matt_Mc

Matt_Mc Long timer

Oddometer:
    I believe that was Brad Hagen on the DVTR FB page. Not sure if he is on here or not ?
  11. Matt_Mc

Matt_Mc Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well if you don't want it I'm a 2X body and XL lid. :lol3 They gave away like $4k in prizes in one day and then came back and gave every volunteer a gift card along with a few door prizes as well. Wonderful group of people who believe in what we're doing at the ground level.
    mrxinpa, Sno Dawg and StanBo like this.
  12. docgonzo

docgonzo Old Gadfly

Oddometer:
    Can't say enough about the generosity of the Revzilla crew. Nicole, Spurgeon, and Liz (VP of club, I believe) were unbelievable. Nicole just sent me a DOT version of the KLIM helmet since I do a fair amount of street, and that was in the original grand prize. It is pretty nice! Think I'll do the Michaux again next year! Again, have to say that the club did a fantastic job with COVID protocols, and pulled off a wonderful event that could be a model for other dual sport events.

IMG_2334.jpg IMG_2335.jpg
  13. CAFFO

CAFFO Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi Brian
    shoot me a text please. 9149069119. re the airheads!!
  14. sttm4

sttm4 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I saw people (i think club members ) taking pictures along the route . Are they posted anywhere
    Crazybrian likes this.
  15. Matt_Mc

Matt_Mc Long timer

Oddometer: