Michelin Anakee Adventure Tires

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by AdamChandler, Nov 1, 2018.

1. Dogslobber

Dogslobber Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm about to ride a pair from Palmer, AK down the coast to Gold Beach OR, then NE to Bozeman, MT. We'll see how they do.
  2. Der Kaiser

Der Kaiser Caped Crusader

Oddometer:
    A bit earlier, some folks were asking how the Michelin Anakee Adventures compared to the Anakee III's and I'm finally in a position to comment on that after a two week vacation in Europe where I rode a 2019 BMW F750GS equipped with MA3's for a day through the Alps covering about 200 miles. As you know, after 3,200 miles on MAA's I felt qualified to say that I'd get them again despite a minor amount of low frequency howl from the tread while leaning in corners. Well, the MA3's can be summed up in two words: "They suck!" Those tires make the MAA's appear to be dead silent as the MA3's have a very loud, high frequency noise coming from the tread that sounds like a siren going off. I'll admit I wasn't wearing earplugs but that wouldn't have mattered as this was painful and absolutely not tolerable -- if I owned the bike I would have tossed those tires immediately.

Also, I finally got my replacement R1250GS for the one I dumped in May and this time it's equipped with the Bridgestone Battle-ax A41's which are more of a 90/10 tire than the MAA's which were advertised as 80/20. I've only put about 20 miles on the bike since picking it up but from what I could tell the Bridgestones were dead quiet and will make a better road tire than either the MAA or MA3. That said, I wouldn't trust them even for 10% off-road -- maybe hard-packed dirt roads at best -- and they could have never gotten me out of the mess I was in immediately after my accident back in May when I rode through mud and soft dirt to get out of my predicament. As the say, "Different horses for different courses." (Except for the MA3's because "they still suck!").
  3. Bitte ein Bit

Bitte ein Bit Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'll be riding a new set from San Antonio, TX to Nakusp, BC (Horizons Unlimited Travel Event) - close to 5,000 miles round trip...I'll respond here when I get back near the end of the month. Thanks to everyone for their input!

Erik
    SmittyBlackstone likes this.
  4. WJBertrand

WJBertrand Ventura Highway

Oddometer:
    Following up, I’ve just returned from a 4,500+ mile tour from SoCal to Calgary and back. This included some dirt road riding that started out dry and finished up in torrential rain, lightening and thunder. The AAs roll very smoothly on pavement and instill complete confidence at peg dragging lean angles. They did ok on dirt/mud too. I felt more confident on them than the 705s even though the 705s are billed as 70/30 tires. They still seem to have plenty of tread left and if their life turns out to be reasonable, they will become my go-to tire.
  5. keny72

keny72 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for that info, as I commute to work whit my bike most of the time, but then ride gravel roads as I can (even more offroad sometimes, but only dry sand where I live) a aggresive front whit a more semi for milage is what I had in mind also.
  6. Bitte ein Bit

Oddometer:
    My update just after 2000 miles from TX to Montana (so far). At this point almost all highway and some backroads and gravel:

Front:
    ED30C3C4-73D5-46EE-8FE0-936A3790BD62.jpeg

Rear:
    8BD9E0CC-CB5F-4B46-8F51-A65AC36C2DA2.jpeg

Very happy so far...

Erik
    toypro1, vhntr1 and SmittyBlackstone like this.
  7. AdamChandler

AdamChandler Ascending n00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    SmittyBlackstone and toypro1 like this.
  8. Ikeya-Seki

Ikeya-Seki Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yes, Adam. 9200 miles with appx. 500 miles of gravel. Front could go 10k, easy. I swapped anyhow.
  9. VCheng

VCheng Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So I put on nearly 2200 miles on my first set of Anakee Adventures. I like these better than the Anakee 3s: less noise, more grip (even in heavy rain) and pretty good wear thus far. Will update later with more miles.
  10. Boxerbreath

Boxerbreath 2017.5 GS Black Storm

Oddometer:
    ....less noise...bingo!
  11. VCheng

VCheng Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Update: I had these tires on a twisty, technical racetrack yesterday. They are very predictable at the limit and easy to ride on extreme angles while braking or accelerating. If I can get these to last a reasonable mileage, I think I have found my default tires for this wonderful motorcycle (2018 GSA).
  12. AdamChandler

AdamChandler Ascending n00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    From this:
    [​IMG]

to This:
    [​IMG]
    these tires are really good for what GS riders ride most. Predicable, grippy have ridden them in downpour rain, track days, off road, mud, slush, cold weather. I like them a lot. They 'suck' off road but I"m talking gravel and mud and that's no surprise but if you anticipate the suck, approach the suck at low speed and throttle through the suck, they'll get you through normal northeaster mud. Clay, I can't say. I would not run these tires on the Dalton or Trans-Lab. I think the Tractionators are a better choice for those roads.

and I'm going to end up getting 8K miles out of them if I want.

I like these are quieter than the A3s, do better in mud and dive a lot easier in the corners. I'm honestly amazed at how good these tires are and will just buy another set when they're done unless I decide to go back to Knobbies for a month because that's allI get out of them in tread life.
  13. SidewinderX

SidewinderX Hey, watch this! Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    We ran 35-40 miles of various dirt yesterday out of 180 total miles. I wanted to let the new bike understand what was expected in her new life! She only had 100 miles on her when we hit the dirt.

I think these tires are a very good compromise for the GS. I estimate I will ride 25-35% dirt if I’m honest. Maybe less.

Tires push a bit when running at speed. But all tires do on a 500+ lb bike. I had to dial Enduro Pro throttle way back. Too much wheel spin. Front ABS worked very good. Not quite enough TC in gravel but definitely controllable.

On the street, aside from some cornering noise, they rode and handled almost as good as my old Pilot Road 4’s. And that’s the pinnacle of street tires IMHO.

89F7E006-7241-4C31-B7CF-03050EDA48FF.jpeg
  14. Bitte ein Bit

Oddometer:
    My 5300 mile pavement / 200 miles gravel (some powder/hard packed dirt) update:

Bought these for a highway heavy trip and lived up to the hype for me. Scorching heat from BC back to Texas through Washington, Utah, Colorado etc... and didn’t expect them to be this good. Did very well on the forestry roads in Canada and good on gravel here in the states.

Once I hit New Mexico and Texas it was 80mph all the way and 100F.

They wore very well. Be using these along with Mitas E07’s as a replacement for PR4/5. Noise was not an issue with me but did notice it a little cornering as others have stated.

I rode a loaded up 2011 R1200GS. No issues.

Rear:
    2F5A271F-69CC-4418-8C91-C9B6110C54A1.jpeg

Rear:
    B735D2BF-AC7B-4244-B248-C76021A4DA36.jpeg

Front:
    3AB00ED6-9F34-436C-B222-CFAE579AEC9B.jpeg
  15. WyldCFH

WyldCFH Been here awhile

Oddometer:

I'm currently up in the air over these 2 tires... The AA or the E07, though I am thinking the E07+. Got any pros/cons you want to share between the two?
  16. vhntr1

vhntr1 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    They still look darn good for that mileage what did you run for air pressure?
  17. Ikeya-Seki

Ikeya-Seki Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    CE11B20D-7037-49D9-8022-BB0577A271FF.jpeg 6500 miles with 1200 gravel. Oregon to Prudhoe Bay to Charlie Lake BC
  18. Bitte ein Bit

Oddometer:

Hmmmm...well, I am still lucky enough to have three sets of the old E07's (Dakar versions) not the new +/plus that I purchased while living in Europe so hard for me to give an honest opinion about the E07+. I would say for me living in Texas and only having Mexico and Big Bend for off road options it would still be hard to justify running E07's 100% of the time. I love the Mitas tires, had incredible luck with them. In Europe it's all I used and from country to country, continent to continent they were great for the "just in case moments" - Fire roads, T.E.T., eastern Europe off roading, wild camping...but had the Anakee Adventures been available at the time, I probably would have just stuck with those.

The Mitas were great for longevity, decent enough in the rain/snow and the noise was never a problem with me...using the AA now, and being honest with myself I think they are much more suited for the average day to day use.

I think the key is being honest with ourselves as riders and really knowing if we need a 50/50 tire vs. a 90/10 (80/20). If your riding once a month off road (not mud/wet clay) then I would say the AA is great. They did give me more confidence overall on pavement than the E07's, but I say that loosely as the E07's never gave me issues except in the passes at higher speeds in the rain - sometimes felt a little give coming out of a switchback or two.

For me, in Texas, riding day to day, as much as I like the E07's I just think it's a waste to have a 50/50 on - I'll save them for the Utah/Colorado trips and probably run the AA's day to day.

I would check out the threads about the "new" E07's and go from there. I most likely would have stuck with Mitas 100% of the time had they not changed to the E07+. The wear/longevity I feel I am going to get from the AA vs. the new E07 longevity (from the threads I've read) make them my new day to day tire.

Hope that helps a little.

Erik
  19. SourKraut

SourKraut Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    The AAs look very similar to the classic Tourance (not Next). Anybody run those anymore, besides me?
  20. Bitte ein Bit

Oddometer:

Very diligently 36 and 42...but...some mornings that were at altitude or colder I saw the pressures had crept down to 33/34 and 39/40 and out of three weeks averaged 34-36 and 40-42. I have TPMS and would check it every morning as I had never used the AA's before.

I do carry a small electric pump with me and used once when the rear dipped to 38psi.
    SmittyBlackstone, vhntr1 and toypro1 like this.