Michelin Anakee Adventure Tires

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by AdamChandler, Nov 1, 2018.

1. bikemoto

bikemoto Tyre critic

Oddometer:
    Sunday I was finding the limits of my comfort with this tyre in slippery conditions. Took a steep, rugged forestry road which mostly had a hard base but there were many patches of slippery mud, often hiding in the shadows.

The front Wild was no drama but the Adventure rear was skating around a lot on the climb, especially on the flatter bits when not under much power, and locking up under brakes on the descent.

All to be expected, I think - no surprises! I'd want to be doing much more of that to justify a more rugged tyre day-to-day.
    SmittyBlackstone likes this.
  2. jrsbike

jrsbike Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I just spent two weeks touring the southwest on an Anakee shod GS riding roads exclusively. I apparently fall into an unmeasurable minority in that I found them to be absolutely awful. Temperatures ranged from 39F in Colorado mountain passes to 102F in Arizona. When they warmed up they became hard and made the front end wheel flop very challenging in the tight high speed mountain passes. I should point out that I was on a rented new GS and my main bike is a R1200R LC in addition to a few late model Ducatis so I am used to a more aggressive riding style. I came away convinced that if I am on the road I want road tires. On the trail I want trail tires. Compromise tires wont work for me. I have my KTM for offroad exercise and as a former ranked AMA national enduro rider I want my knobbies when I hit the dirt. I would have been a lot happier if the GS had Michelin PR 5s.
    Boxerbreath likes this.
  3. blt4bja

blt4bja Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No, you’re the only weirdo
    Podman likes this.
  4. Deano747

Deano747 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi & thanks for your input, I am looking to do a set of these next - however - it would be really helpful to know what pressures they were running.

Rental companies are notorious for having little regard to pressures, but maybe you are like me & spend an hour or so going over your rental bike throughly & checked the pressures.

I know that a 2 psi drop in the front down to 34psi fixes a lot of the vagueness on the TKC70's, and a 2 psi increase in the front of the Avon Trailriders stops them falling into corners & following the tar snakes so much. Rear pressures don't see to be nearly as critical.
  5. jrsbike

jrsbike Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I started off with the standard 36/42 and then moved it up 1.5 lbs front & rear for better turn in. I do pre-flight ritual of checking everything including the tire pressures prior to setting off each day. Maybe I should have tried dropping them down a little for a softer bite.
    Deano747 likes this.
  6. AdamChandler

AdamChandler Ascending n00b Supporter

Oddometer:

Just received this:
    Thank you for taking advantage of Michelin’s Dirty 30 consumer promotion. I have reviewed all submissions and have submitted them to our fulfillment center for immediate processing. The Mastercard Reward Cards will be issued in the next two weeks and mailed out to you shortly thereafter. I apologize to those consumers who submitted claims early in the promotional period and thank you for your patience due to this unforeseen delay.

It is important to note that during this promotion we’ve discovered a technical issue that prevented consumer inquiries from being transmitted to my team. I apologize for any inconvenience or confusion this may have caused. If you would like to follow-up with questions to topics unrelated to the timing and fulfillment of your reward, please email admin@motorcycletirepromo.com. We will be sure to address all concerns.​
    GrumpyOne, PARIAH, MFP and 2 others like this.
  7. Ocho NA

Ocho NA Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What would be a good tire pressure for 2up? Or should I stick to the stock 36/42? I would say I'm 230 with gear and my GF around 170.
  8. ADV67

ADV67 Alsace rider

Oddometer:
    In May I rode the full ACT trail (1250km) from north to South Portugal with my GSA1200 on the Anakee Adventures. Back thru Spain.
    The Anakees held up great, were very predictable and stable on the trails, even at higher speeds as long as the trails were dry.
    Not so happy in mud of course and rocky trail parts. But on the ACT trail that was less than 5%.
    For mixed riding I prefer them to the Anakee Wild. I found the Wild only to be marginally better in heavier rocky trail conditions and also useless in mud.

[​IMG]
    MFP, Dogslobber and mikegc like this.
  9. WJBertrand

WJBertrand Ventura Highway

Oddometer:
    Me too, just received today, hope to see that gift card soon!
    MFP likes this.
  10. AdamChandler

AdamChandler Ascending n00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm gonna use mine to buy more tires. Seriously.
    MFP, eddyturn and mikegc like this.
  11. WJBertrand

WJBertrand Ventura Highway

Oddometer:
    I believe it, in the time they've taken to respond, the set I installed is almost ready for replacement!
    MFP, mikegc and AdamChandler like this.
  12. MFP

MFP Urbaner

Oddometer:
    I received my rebate confirmation/apology email yesterday as well. :thumb
    AdamChandler likes this.
  13. PARIAH

PARIAH Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Got my "So sorry" message yesterday as well. I was just about ready to write it off.
    MFP likes this.
  14. MFP

MFP Urbaner

Oddometer:
    You and me both.
    PARIAH likes this.
  15. GrumpyOne

GrumpyOne Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yep, got the same e-mail yesterday.

BTW - Thanks for pointing out the rebate. Didn't know about it until you had posted it up and I just got my paperwork in at the closing date.

-jw
  16. marcmarc

marcmarc Adventurer

Oddometer:
    upload_2019-9-15_21-21-51.png

Ha-ha.. I've patched every Scorpion STR, and now this :-) Truth be told, Pirellis gave up on the rocks, pierced, now this screw was something different..
    SmittyBlackstone and mikegc like this.
  17. JPCollinsworth

JPCollinsworth Compulsive Spender

Oddometer:
    Has anyone received their rebate debit card?
    AdamChandler likes this.
  18. mikegc

mikegc Long timer Super Supporter Supporter

Oddometer:
    On August 22nd, I received a note from Joshua Korns expressing regrets over the delay. He stated the cards would be issued within the next couple of weeks and I should have it shorty thereafter. So far, though, I haven't seen it but I'm still liking the tires!

Mike
    SmittyBlackstone likes this.
  19. MFP

MFP Urbaner

Oddometer:
    Still waiting and not holding my breath while doing so. :fpalm
    AdamChandler likes this.
  20. tentative_rider

tentative_rider Wanna Be On Gravel

Oddometer:
    Just mounted third rear and second front AA at 9600.

Rear probably had another 1500 to go but was pretty squared off. Front surprisingly was about 50% left still and NO HINT of cupping, best looking front tire I have ever seen at 10K miles on a big GS bike. I could have left it on but I like changing front after going thru 2 rear, guess I am superstitious.

Took the bike in for early service due to fuel controller fault which did not spontaneously clear, apparently was a fluke and bike is fine. It takes me over 90 minutes each way to dealer so I just combined the service with tire change since I don't change my own tires any more if I can help it.

Intention was to try Mich Road 5 (Trail) this time but somehow UPS or whoever lost the tire so rather than waiting I just had them put on new AA.

Love these tires on the road, both wet and dry, and also some gravel including Pucker Pass descent near Canyonlands / Moab, they were also actually fairly good on the gravel, baby head rocks and a bit of exposed rock steps just under the hanging boulder there.

Now I know why it's called Pucker Pass!

I do prefer the profile of the Anakee III it looks more round in cross section where the AA falls off more steeply, and I ride pretty dang fast but still have very large chicken strips on both the front and rear so it seems like the AA is designed for more aggressive riding than I will ever do. I am sure there are come scratchers out there who wear to the edge tho.

Anyhow I will likely keep running AA until my next real off pavement trip and would like to try the A Wild as opposed to my standby TKC80.

TR