Michelin Anakee Adventure Tires

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by AdamChandler, Nov 1, 2018.

1. JPCollinsworth

JPCollinsworth Compulsive Spender

Oddometer:
    Emailed them this morning. Here’s their response:

Hi John,

We do apologize for another delay. I am working to get answers on why this is taking so long to process. I have several emails and calls out to try to get some answers so once I receive an update, I will be sure to inform you.

Once again, we are very sorry for the delay!
    SmittyBlackstone and MFP like this.
  2. MFP

MFP Urbaner

Oddometer:
    What a complete SNAFU!
  3. Chugiak

Chugiak Lechien Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yup, got the same 'form' email and I'm guessing it might come for the xmas rush...I too need a new set of tires and would like to recycle this refund into rubber...or maybe a super deal on the new AA or Wild or III tires...also not holding my breath...
    SmittyBlackstone likes this.
  4. Boxerbreath

Boxerbreath 2017.5 GS Black Storm

Oddometer:
    ... and don’t forget to use the rebate card once you put it in your wallet ... ;)
  5. PARIAH

PARIAH Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I got a set of tires for my car. They also had a rebate. That rebate arrived 5 days later.

:D

Still, waiting on this one.
  6. MFP

MFP Urbaner

Oddometer:
    I finally received a response this morning from Joshua at Michelin Tires NA and he noted all issues with the company handling the “Dirty 30” tire rebate have been resolved and the rebate cards will be processed and sent out by Sept. 26th at the latest.
    To be continued......
  7. krussell

krussell Gravel Warrior Supporter

Oddometer:
    My 1250GSA came with Bridgestone 80/20 tires, the front wore horribly on the left side, down to wear bars at 3k. I had a long trip planned, so I tossed those and replaced with the Anakee Adventures. I put 4k of mostly hwy miles on them so far, with about 30mi of gravel to date. I love them. Quietest tire I've ever had on a GSA, much quieter than the Anakee III, Anakee Wild, and the OEM bridgestones. They are wearing very evenly. I've done twisty stuff, high speed hwy 80+, good pavement, bad pavement, pouring rain, etc. They worked well everywhere.

These are my new go to tire for the GSA.
    Las, SmittyBlackstone and Dogslobber like this.
  8. VCheng

VCheng Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ditto. I am now nearing the end of my second set under all sorts of conditions, and I love them on my 2018 R1200 GSA. Great tires for a wide variety of conditions, no doubt.
    Las and SmittyBlackstone like this.
  9. Fosters

Fosters Loner

Oddometer:
    84505D4D-7ED1-4D47-B081-B906479F81A6.jpeg C5F1E561-3AFF-41E0-BA63-E6F11A466347.jpeg 2016E29D-D0C1-4565-8C85-BFDA1AAB44CB.jpeg Here’s my adventures after 6800 miles across the country and back loaded with camping gear.
    Rode the dragon, pikes peak, mount evans, the trail of tears and Death Valley...more slab than I care to remember..
    Great wear...predictable behavior...solid rain performance
  10. WyldCFH

WyldCFH Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm not super impressed with mine after the first 100-150 miles.

This is probably due to my riding style, but I can very easily activate both front and rear ABS going into corners with some lovely squawking as the tires break free and the ABS reigns in the minute slides.

Again, most likely due to my riding style in corner entry, but it doesn't give me confidence in their on road ability. Will know more about the dirt/gravel in a few weeks at Big Bend.
    I may just need a set up alloy rims with Road 5s and keep the gold spokes with a true 50/50 or 30/70 to swap out when needed.
  11. krussell

krussell Gravel Warrior Supporter

Oddometer:
    Is this with the bike upright while braking before the corner? Or is it while leaned?
  12. WyldCFH

WyldCFH Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Both. Initial squawks and ABS triggers are upright and increase in frequency as I start to lean.

But again, most likely my riding style. I can wear a set of tires off of my Super Duke R in about half the mileage anyone else gets.
    krussell likes this.
  13. Dwit

Dwit Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Try dropping a couple pounds. Where are they now?
  14. SidewinderX

SidewinderX Hey, watch this! Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I’ve tried everything from 36-42lbs on various rides while getting a feel for what I like in dirt and pavement. Still have them slide in Dynamic Pro when riding very aggressively.

I have this as well when trail braking at entry and riding very aggressively, I usually hear and feel the rear slip just an instant while setting into the turn. I have grown accustomed to it now, but I still don’t like any disruptions to my line.

I do like the Anakee Adventure. I will choose between them or a set of Pilot Road 5’s depending on what my actual dirt % is between now and time to change.
    SmittyBlackstone and Boxerbreath like this.
  15. dbyker

dbyker Dave

Oddometer:
    Just rode 60 miles home from the dealer after having new Anakee Adventures installed on my '18 GS Rallye. Per the TPMS the dealer filled to exact stock pressures of 37F & 43R. Riding in Dynamic Pro. Pulling out of the dealership, and again a couple times on the way home, not really riding hard at all, felt the rear end just begin to slide out when initiating lean to turn, probably at the point where center tread/compound gives way to side tread/compound, like it hit a patch of grease or something, quite unexpected and disconcerting. Also chirped the rear tire several times on mildly aggressive braking or downshifting. Hoping it's just a new tire thing and will scrub/burn off with a few more miles. Don't recall it being this pronounced with previous new tires. Going to wash the tires with soap & water before my next ride, can't hurt might help. Will report back after putting some more miles on the AA's.

Dealer service writer said motorcycle tire manufacturers no longer use mold release compound on their tires, there's another thread on here from a couple years ago indicating Michelin still does though many others either don't at all or only on the sidewalls to preserve the markings.

Coming off the stock Anakee 3's which I actually liked a lot, very confidence inspiring on the street, OK in the gravel and hard-packed dirt as long as I accepted their limitations and rode accordingly, never noticed the slight noise in turns til I read about it here.

Cheers, Dave
  16. SidewinderX

SidewinderX Hey, watch this! Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Definitely gets better after break in but I have @2,000 miles on mine and still experiencing it.
  17. Dwit

Dwit Adventurer

Oddometer:
    If you a saying initiating turn in, that’s not where the compound change is. I have never used this tire but it usually the 1/3 up from edge or so where they change compounds. Are you using rear breaks when this happens or is it just the linked brakes that a doing it?
  18. path_finder

path_finder Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wow! Your opinion of Anakee 3s is certainly different than mine. I found them to be anything but confidence inspiring.
  19. dbyker

dbyker Dave

Oddometer:
    If this continues after 2,000 miles I'll probably look for a different tire when these wear out. Still, don't want to disparage a new tire after only 60 miles or so, will give it every chance to work properly.

NO brakes when this happened. First couple times was leaving the dealer parking lot, just starting off at maybe 2-3 mph. Believe me I was in no way being aggressive or hot-dogging on brand new stone cold tires at that point, yet the rear slid anyway. Very surprising and disconcerting, like, WTF?!

I may be an outlier, or less aggressive, or have lower expectations, I don't know, but I liked my Anakee 3's from new to 6K miles when I replaced them. Never gave them a thought or had a single issue on road, including a pretty aggressive run down the Blue Ridge Parkway and back. Chicken strips ultimately down to less than 1/4", so I did use them. Was less excited about them off road (which is why I went with the AA's this time), but I expected that in a 90/10 tire.

Strange don't recall seeing much bad about Anakee Adventures in the first 12 pages or so of this thread, but now several of us seem to be describing similar issues. Hope they improve on road with more use.

Cheers, Dave
  20. path_finder

path_finder Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I was referring to the Anakee 3s, not the Adventure. There's another thread discussing displeasure over the Anakee 3s, Particularly their tendency to slip over tire snakes that tires like the Pirellli Scorpion Trail IIs would grab on.