Michelin Anakee III; anyone tried 'em?

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by Monsignore, Jan 18, 2014.

1. Monsignore

Monsignore Plunger Boy Supporter

Oddometer:
    It's time for a new rear tire on my '05 GS. webbikeworld.com had a good review of the new Anakee IIIs. Have any of YFFs tried them? Thoughts? Comparisons? :ear
  2. Schtum

Schtum Free Genie

Oddometer:
    They came as OEM on my new water-cooled GS. So far, I've put very few miles on them. However, on cold wet roads, they were faultless straight out of the showroom.
  3. duffs

duffs I have a beard

Oddometer:
    I have these on my 2014 R1200GS - obviously a slightly different size but in my experience they are among the best road tyres I’ve had on any bike (including dual compound Pilot Power 2CTs on a sports bike). Doesn’t matter if the road is wet, dry, warm, cold, the tyres grip as much as you need right from the start. Have caught wet metal panels mid corner and in this condition they slide predictably and hook up again gently. Stopping in the wet, the back wheel will come off the ground before the ABS kicks in. They are fairly noisy tyres and make a whooshing sound, rather than a humming sound.

Off road is a different matter. They are fine on wet or dry hard packed gravel and dirt - not great but acceptable. Anything worse like mud and sand and they are a handful. The front end wanders in mud and has some trouble finding its line, but the back tries its hardest and they seem to effectively clear mud from the treads. Considering how good they are on road, they do better than they should, but they are nevertheless definitely no more than 80/20s (generously) or 90/10s.

Overall I would say they are currently the best tyre in their class (Battle Wings, Tourances, Scorpion Trails) - I previously did thousands of miles on my F800GS on the rather dreadful Pirelli Scorpion Trails (since replaced by Heidenau K60 Scouts) and the Anakee IIIs put them to shame in every way. Likewise I’ve ridden on various Bridgestone and Metzeler tyres which didn’t give me as much confidence all round. When these wear out I might give the Anakee Wilds a go to for fun but otherwise I wouldn’t look anywhere else for the type of riding I typically do.
    Dan Diego and stuarthw like this.
  4. workin4beermoney

workin4beermoney Comfortably NumB

Oddometer:
    I had Anakee 2s and like them ok but the front cupped real bad. 2 up with the wife this last summer with about 4500 miles on the 2s got a little nervous. Stopped at BMW dealer in Sandy Utah and put a 3 on the front. Wow! Hug the road especially wet ones. Have about 3k on now and no cupping. The new tread design looks a lot differnt but looks like they got it right.:clap
    The dealer was awesome, got me right in the next day got a call from the service manager wanting to know if everything was ok. That's customer service.
  5. Epictetus70

Epictetus70 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I ride a GS Adventure and just switched my rear to an Anakee III. So far so good, runs great on asphalt as previously mentioned. Haven't hit the dirt yet so we'll see how if fairs there. I'm guessing Duff's review sounds pretty spot on. I feel more confident leaning the moto vs. with my other tire, but I'm guessing that's more of a mental thing on my part. I was running a Tourance EXP prior.
  6. bemiiten

bemiiten League of Adventures

Oddometer:
    Considering how hard you can go on the road with a 80/20 tire like the Anakee II or the Tourance, Why Michelin would sacrifice off road performance to make gains in road performance that is for the most part, useless to most riders anywhere near a street pace.
  7. Smoke Eater 3

Smoke Eater 3 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Seeing how most GS's rarely see dirt, the Anakee III is a very good choice. I'm on my second set. I had them on my Capo Nord (the Grey Whale) and my new GSW came with them as stock. As a 90/10 tire they are excellent. They do a decent enough job on fire roads and packed gravel. The only problem I had was on wet grass on a trail but I managed the Capo without tossing it. So if you are looking for a touring tire where you can occasionally explore some questionable roads then give them a shot. I've read about the noise issue but I don't hear it.
  8. duffs

duffs I have a beard

Oddometer:
    Further to my post above - much of the first half of this video is the Anakee IIIs in action:

<iframe src="//player.vimeo.com/video/80063131" width="500" height="281" frameborder="0" webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen allowfullscreen></iframe>

This is the sort of terrain on which they do great, much worse and they’re not too happy.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  9. BaldKnob

BaldKnob I Wanna Ride

Oddometer:
    I got over 7,500mi on a set of A3's before the front started showing the wear bars. The rear tire had plenty of tread left and could have gone to 10,000 but I swapped it for a set of FullBore M40s.

As stated in previous posts, these are excellent street tires and can handle hardpack without issue. Wetness and loose soil is where the tire begins to struggle.
  10. ultane

ultane sqeezin the bag

Oddometer:
    Anakee I - several sets, 10,000 miles. Anakee II's - One set, 13,000 miles half of which was 2 up. Proper inflation is a must! Anakee III's - first set, I love them on the road, haven't been on hard pack or packed dirt yet. I can't hear them. A riding friend has them on his Super T, and has been in stupid places with them, where prior to that had been on his KLR with knobbies. He likes them.
  11. JetSpeed

JetSpeed Naviator

Oddometer:

At that rate the set of A3's is likely to last you forever.

I have a set that came OEM on my 13 GSW, 8600 miles and still have a couple thousand to go.
  12. Otherworld

Otherworld Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wha? You picked up a '14?
  13. pistole

pistole Long timer

Oddometer:
    love the Ana3 on my LCGS.

road capable , and off road able too.

having said that , will be changing to TKC80s at next opportunity. Off roading with this machine is way too much fun.

14. ADVMAC

ADVMAC Handsome adventurer

Oddometer:
    5K on mine and still lots of tread and no flat spot . Great road tire with adequate off road performance .
  15. duffs

duffs I have a beard

Oddometer:

2014 models started from 1 September... Picked up mine on 6 September...
  16. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have them on my 05 GS. Very nice tires so far! Good rain and dry grip, cold or hot.

[​IMG]
  17. Iron Rey

Iron Rey Wingnut Extraordinaire

Oddometer:
    Had 2 sets of II's on my '10, almost 15K! I never got anywhere that much out of others (Tourance, Tourance EXP, Battlewing...)

Put a set of III's on over last winter, awesome tire on cold and wet, exceedingly ordinary on everything else, also didn't get the feedback I did from the II's

YMMV
  18. IB1

IB1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Good tyros, but on the noisy side. Next set will be another set of anakee 3.
  19. Telemarktumalo

Telemarktumalo Go Red Sox!

Oddometer:
    I'm wondering about the TKC's on the GS. I rode my buddies's f800GS for a variety of twisty roads for an hour or so. I could feel a bit of rumbling at slow speed and the bike felt a bit squirrely when banked into turns at 50-70 mph. Maybe, I was expecting too much of the tires, but it does seem a bit of a sacrifice in the pavement ride/steering quality. I suppose if I were doing single track, that would be the way to go. I've got Kenda Big Blocks on my Honda 250, and they don't squirm when the bike is banked on pavement. Perhaps it is more a function of the difference in the weight of the bikes?

20. ShaftEd

ShaftEd Long timer

Oddometer:
    My GSW came with the Anakee 3's also. Awesome street/sport tire. Acceptable in the dirt. However, I must be doing something wrong, only got 5500 miles out of rear and it was completely shot. That's at 42 psi and solo rider. Must be the sandpaper roads out here in SoCal.:deal:1drink