Michelin Anakee III; anyone tried 'em?

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by Monsignore, Jan 18, 2014.

1. ruscook

ruscook Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I come from road bikes and the Pilot Road 3 was my dream tyre. Never put a foot (or metre) wrong - wet or dry. So far with 3300km in a month on the new GS, I've found the Anakee 3's to be as good on the road and they will do gravel roads - which is the limit of my experience to date. So as Duffs says for 90/10 they seem perfect.
  2. YYguy

YYguy Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have TKCs on my 1150 GSA but am switching to Anakee IIIs which seem to better fit my riding and environment. I live on a gravel road and my riding is probably 80/20. The 80 is asphalt with lots of twisties and often wet. The 20 is mostly fire roads, coastal roads or solid limestone with lots of large loose rocks. The TKCs did too much sliding on wet for me to feel comfortable.
    stuarthw likes this.
  3. Geralt

Geralt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Jim, spray something on those bolts, damn it!
    Rust converters work really well.
    [​IMG]
  4. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Street cred man, street cred! :lol3

Seriously, my poor bike must have spent a good deal of its 10 years and 125K miles outside!:evil
  5. Mcgee

Mcgee Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Put a set on my 09 1200GSA this summer. So far have liked them on wet roads and of course dry. Riding on Forest service roads they grip well, but when it gets gravely and loose they want to slide around a bit, but that to be excepted. Found them to be very noisy when new. after 5 or 6 thousand miles, they seem to be a bit quieter.
  6. vt_beemer_girl

vt_beemer_girl n00b

Oddometer:
    I have been running the Anakee III's on my 650GS this past fall. Have 11,500 miles on them with good tread left. They are very quiet and I think they handle dirt well. The next set will be the same :rofl
  7. Geralt

Geralt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Crawling back to my hole now.... :shog
    6k miles on my GSA. But, hey - only first season (6 months) on this bike.
  8. cliffy109

cliffy109 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have the Anakee 3 on the rear and the Metzler Karoo 3 on the front. I like the combo. The Anakee 3 is a LOT quieter than the Karoo 3 was and street performance is solid in wet, cold or anything else. I'm developing a lot of confidence in that tire.

Having the more aggressive tire in the front seems to be a good compromise for me. I rarely ride off road but when I do, I don't want to be afraid of a little mud. The back tire will slip and slide quite a bit but the front helps keep things under control. I'm still trying to sort out where the limits are and they clearly are not the same as having the Karoo 3 front and rear but it isn't horrible either.

FYI, the Karoo 3 rear tire was worn out at 5000 miles but the front is still OK at 7000. It is showing a fair amount of cupping but still has plenty of life left. The K3 rear also wasn't exactly confidence inspiring on the road and was very loud.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to stick with a mis-matched front to rear combo in the future. I'm quite happy with the A3 rear and will likely get it again. I may try the TKC80 front next time but the Karoo 3 is pretty good.
  9. JimVonBaden

Oddometer:
    Nah, just giving you a hard time. One day, when I have time, all the bolts are coming out and I am going to nickel plate them. I always wanted to try plating.
  10. Mr.Mushman

Mr.Mushman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A few months ago I had to take my bike in for the 12K service and also needed new tires, after asking a few questions, the service manager mentioned that he had a pair put aside for himself to mount on his bike but since I needed them, he "gave" me his set. Since then I put 4K miles on them and love them, only "weird" thing is they whistle real loud around 64/66mph and still do after 4K miles, I thought I would stop but ... As many inmates mentioned they are great on the road and on hard pack dirt fire roads and that's my 0.2 cents ...
  11. redwing51

redwing51 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Had them on a 1150GS. Good wear, close to 10000 miles. Still had tread when removed. No real complaints. The front does sing a little at 65 mph.
  12. JimVonBaden

Oddometer:
    Interesting to hear the noise comments. I never noticed at any speed. Maybe because I wear ear plugs? :dunno
  13. pistole

pistole Long timer

Oddometer:
    ride with plugs too.

how do you guys hear your tyres over the engine / wind noise ?

14. Fatbob307

Fatbob307 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Good tires, but I just replaced rear at 5,100 miles. Pretty lame life.
  15. JimVonBaden

Oddometer:
    What else have you had on the bike?

I don't have enough miles to tell yet, but my typical riding I can get 11-13K miles to a set of Avon Distanzias. I expect similar from these.

Apples to Apples.
  16. PanhandleChuck

PanhandleChuck 3rdRockAdvRider

Oddometer:
    I've run the Tourrance EXP, Tourrance x 2, Anakee 2 x 2, and now A3's with 4K. The EXP had the best feedback and dry grip on the road, but the shortest wear, about 6K. The original Tourance and A2's were very similar, about 8-9K. I never had cupping issues due to running 36 PSI out front. The A3's stick good in the twisty mountian hard surface stuff when pushed hard, but out on the open slab the noise just seems a little much. I may try the PR 3 or 4 trail next......
  17. redwing51

redwing51 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I usually wear earplugs as well, but still heard the front tire sing at about 65mph. Its not really a complaint, you get used to it and then forget about it. I have a tall windscreen with little road noise in my helmet. Maybe thats why I can hear it? It doesn't happen on all road surfaces. Like I said, it's a good tire that performs well and wears well. I don't expect much more than that.
  18. Fatbob307

Fatbob307 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    These are the OEM tires on my new R12GSW, so I spose they are soft. I put on a PR3 cause I had one for the R1150 RT I traded on this bike. Love the PR3, good life for me (7K). I don't need an aggressive tire on the rear for the light duty dirt riding I do.
  19. JimVonBaden

Oddometer:
    That was kind of my point. You don't really know what "normal" is for that bike until you run through at least one full set of tires. Depending on location, riding style, bike and load, the same tire can last 3,500 miles, or 13,000 miles.:deal
  20. a1atcs

a1atcs Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I went from IIs to IIIs, I like the IIs better. The III's feel really different to me on pavement and I don't think they are as capable off road.