Michelin Anakee III; anyone tried 'em?

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by Monsignore, Jan 18, 2014.

1. duffs

duffs I have a beard

Oddometer:
    I don’t use earplugs in the city (30mph/50kph limit) - it’s at low speeds they give a lot of a whooshing noise, kind of like a shhhhhhhhhhhhhh noise - more so than other tyres I’ve used. Not noticed anything unusually noisy at motorway speeds, but then again I’m accustomed to K60 Scouts on my F800GS which sing at nearly all speeds. Also the design of the R1200GS means there is an opening between the tank and the wheel which allows more tyre/road noise to come through to the rider - this doesn’t exist on the F800GS. I don’t find the noise to be a problem, just unique to the A3s.
  2. BOB RAMSAY

BOB RAMSAY Not in the Clique -

Oddometer:
    I will keep this short. After my brand new bike 1200GS Anakee II rear was punctured at 1k and were no longer available, I replaced it with a Anakee III. Noisy isn't the word for it - this tire HOWLED! Pulled over to insert ear plugs - no help. The noise would 'come and go' above 40 mph. At 75 mph or so, the wind noise took over. I eventually pulled over thinking I had rear wheel drive issues - not.

Michelin was willing to work with me, i.e. dealer inspection, tread depth measurement. Very polite. I toughed it out hoping it would quiet down but that took 2k miles. . .I should have replaced it at 500 miles. I have 6k on it now, very low wear at this point but still somewhat noisy at times (in 40 motorcycles I never had a noise issue like this.)

I have read the 'recipe' has been revised to alleviate the noise problem. I don't know why they sold the 'bad recipe' tires. I will try Metzlers or Conti's next. They lost me as a customer.

I'm not seeing anyone above with noise issues like mine, so GOOD LUCK.
  3. pistole

pistole Long timer

Oddometer:
    sorry man , no issues with noise with the Ana3s on my GSLC.

4. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Very odd. I wonder if they put it on backwards or something?
  5. ChasM

ChasM Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The Anakee III tires on my still low mileage '14 GSW sporadically but consistently howl very loudly. The howling seem to be somewhat speed dependent. I can get used to it but do find it on the obnoxious side. Hopefully the noise will subside as the tires break-in more.
  6. fl0950

fl0950 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My son and I mounted them on our GS's (mine a 2012, his a 2009) before we left for a 6k trip around the country. Mostly back roads, no interstate, a bit of dirt. We now have over 10k on them and they look to have probably a couple of thousand miles left on them. Really pleased with handling, noticed a bit of "whine" between about 55 and 65, but never enough to be a PITA. So overall very happy, will replace with same when the time comes.
  7. marchyman

marchyman barely informed Supporter

Oddometer:
    The current Anakee III issue.... the rear in a GSW size doesn't appear to be in stock anywhere in the US. Well, there may be some on ebay at $275/tire. I don't want it that bad. I don't need a tire immediately so I'll wait a bit before thinking about something else. I like the way the Anakee III feels on the GSW.
  8. Amania

Amania wine co hooligan

Oddometer:
    Cycle Gear Pacheco Ca. ...195.00 and mount free if you take the wheel off. Check with a CG near you
  9. marchyman

marchyman barely informed Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks... I didn't think of cycle gear. I'll give them a call and see if they have the wethead size in stock. Mounting isn't an issue. I mount my tires myself. That way I know who to blame for scratching up rims. :deal
  10. IB1

IB1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Replaced my tourance next (rear) at 8k miles and now I need to replace my anakee 3 (rear) after another 8k miles.
  11. Amania

Amania wine co hooligan

Oddometer:
    Pacheco had the correct size for GSLC last Friday Front and rear
  12. sonarman

sonarman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just left there they had a front and rear tire for 13 GSA. Twenty bucks for each tire to be mounted.
    Have to make appointment since they are short on tire changers. Probably not short on wheel scratchers!
  13. steelerider

steelerider Southafricanamerican

Oddometer:
    I've not had the best luck with these tires. The front has a weird wear pattern on it, (cupped) and its freaking noisy. I ride with earplugs most of the time, but this weekend I left them out - holy crap, they are loud.
    7.2 K miles and the rear is worn down to the bars. I have a set of Conti Trail attack 2's on order. Will not use the Anakee 3's again.
    They do OK on hard gravel and dirt - sand and mud? barley Ok.
    Also, I am now realizing the limitations of a 560 lb 'Dirt bike"
  14. Hi Viz Guy

Hi Viz Guy Be Seen and Be Safe

Oddometer:
    so that is the whine i hear every once in a while when the temperature and tires are cold.. usually around 0c / 30 f degrees? i thought it was my belt slipping and alternator spinning. good to know.. i changed out the belt the last time it happened. it happened to me again last week while riding in the cold.

as far as the tires are concerned, they haven't let me know yet. looks like i'll be buying another set soon....

thanks for the thread
  15. Gezerbike

Gezerbike I'm Baaaaaaaaaaaaaa......ck

Oddometer:
    I had my GS up on the lift last week servicing the trans and FD. Good time to check the tires. The rear still had 5mm and the front 3mm, not bad considering I have about 6,500 miles on them. Should be good for about 10,000 I would think. As to the noise issue, a little whine that varies per the type of road I am on, but nothing that I can't live with. I did detect the beginning of that funky wear pattern I've seen on all my telelever bikes on the front though. Not bad yet, but I will be watching. I brought this up with my parts guy the other day and he remembers back to when BMW intro'd the telelever suspension back in the mid 90's and comments from tire reps who came in that in their testing, they noticed that the telelever suspension seemed to cause wear issues.
  16. dpginc

dpginc Adventurer

Oddometer:
    They suck in the dirt...good if you are going in a straight line on asphalt. Have a set I pulled off of a GS I just bought, giving away free.
  17. Flash1034

Flash1034 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I really like the Anakee3...I am trying the new Anakee Wilds next however.

Flash
  18. Flash1034

Flash1034 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The new ones..

Attached Files:

19. Bill-66

Bill-66 I don't even know... Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'll pay shipping...

Are you saying they are off a brand new GS you just bought...OR, off a new to you GS that you bought and these are well used?
  20. The Griz

The Griz Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    My 2015 R1200GS came with Anakee III's on it. I liked them a lot for the road. I rode them hard, no chicken strips. Great traction on dry roads and in the rain. They did howl quite a bit at 65-70mph though. Kind of annoying.

They were terrible on gravel and dirt though. Pointless on sand or mud. The were downright freaky on gravel a lot of the time. Not confidence-inspiring at all.

I just switch out to Heidenau K60 Scouts front an rear. I wanted better gravel traction but still have the ability to have good traction on the road. I loved the K60 Scouts on my F800GS and my 990 Adventre R. I'm loving them so far on my R1200GS as well. They vibrate and howl on the road a bit but that's to be expected from a 50/50 near-knobby tire. I've never experienced the supposed "bad wet traction" or other complaints some people have claimed about them either. They're spendy, but if you want a true 50/50 tire that grips well on wet and dry roads and is confidence-inspiring on the gravel and on the dirt they're 100% worth it.
    Transport likes this.