Michelin Anakee III; anyone tried 'em?

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by Monsignore, Jan 18, 2014.

1. dpginc

dpginc Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Off a 2008 GS I bought a while back. Tires are used but not worn out. I just hate Michelin tire. Tried them many times over the years with same results. When I raced I was 2-3 seconds faster a lap on Dunlops. Michelins want to tuck the front end all the time, fight with the geometry of the bike. Dunlops were very neutral and I could slide the bike with confidence and the front end would not tuck, even under hard braking.

I tucked the front end on these michelins and put the GS down, broke a few ribs too. I knew it might happen but I was playing with the bad handling and my luck ran out. I mean who want to let a set of bad tires kick your butt?

Put on a set of Shinko's 705 rear and 805 front. WOW what a difference. The bike is back to neutral handling and feels great. Have not even had it off road yet......probably tomorrow...sore ribs or not.
  2. Pch123

Pch123 Bar Crossings

Oddometer:
    Anakee 3 are a reasonable road tyre, but there are a lot better out there. As an off road tyre they are very limited to hard pack dirt and very lite gravel.
    Not the best of both worlds, not even, IMHO, mediocre at both things.
    Brokein2 likes this.
  3. Limbow

Limbow Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I really like them a lot. Of course there are better options if you ride off road. They are an 80/20 tire not 50/50. They're better than I thought they'd be off road.
  4. CJ3Flyer

CJ3Flyer Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I tend to agree... They're noisy blah blah blah... I have done dirt roads and track days on them and the Anakee IIIs are pretty amazing when you consider the range they'll function but I think I will try the Pirellis next time. From what I have been reading Pirelli has raised the bar in 80/20-90/10 category.
    Limbow likes this.
  5. Limbow

Limbow Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just put on another set of A3's. What Pirellis are you talking about?
  6. CJ3Flyer

CJ3Flyer Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
  7. WJBertrand

WJBertrand Ventura Highway

Oddometer:
    I've got a set of them ready to install in the next month or so on my Super Tenere. The OEM Bridgestones were pretty good for my 90/10 riding but I've always liked Michelin tires on my other bikes so thought I'd give these a try. Besides the Michelins were cheaper than the OEM E code Bridgstone battle wings.

Funny, I've always thought Dunlops felt sluggish and heavy to me compared to Michelins on my other bikes. To each his own I suppose.
  8. SourKraut

SourKraut Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    These came on my new GSA, great street tire but horrid (front, rear is fine) in gravel where I spend a good deal of my time. I am about to remove them (save them for a road trip) and am considering TKC70, Karoo or Anakee Wild. I ride a great deal on gravel roads in VT which are crowned to shed water so on right handers they are fine but the on off-camber left handers I keep losing the front end because the Anakee III have no tread parallel to the road. I had standard Metzeler Tourance on my '12 GSA which were an acceptable compromise but they don't make those for the new GSA. Maybe I can just replace the front but with which tire?
  9. deijmaser

deijmaser Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Anakee's came with my new 1200 that I picked up yesterday night. Only put 80km on them but they feel good and decent grip. Will come back after a few hundred miles; most of them will be on the road so I think they should be good for now.

Any advice especially on good breakin technics when new?
  10. BMWGSA

BMWGSA Geländefahrer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Rain mode for the first 50 miles and be careful when turning.. That how I handled it.. Replaced them at 2.3K because of their off road non performance.
    I Put a set of wilds on (much better off road) and got 6k out of the rear, I'm sticking with the wilds for now
    deijmaser likes this.
  11. Lost in the world

Lost in the world Long timer

Oddometer:
    Anybody feel the III''s are more squirrely when it comes to tar snakes than say the Torrance Next tires? Or is that my active imagination at work once again?
  12. Gezerbike

Gezerbike I'm Baaaaaaaaaaaaaa......ck

Oddometer:
    My experience is that tar snakes vary by location, composition, temps and so on. I never felt that Anakee III's handled any different than other tires when it came to them. I ran 2 sets of them on my GS and got great mileage and wear out of them.
    deijmaser likes this.
  13. AZgman

AZgman Addicted to curves

Oddometer:
    Yes, I experienced that and also less than confidence inspiring in the rain. Of course, my experience was in Utah where the snakes of tar are extra slippery.
    deijmaser likes this.
  14. SourKraut

SourKraut Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I replaced the AIII's with standard Tourance which are now made in the new GS/A sizes. Worlds better than the michelins in all conditions.
  15. Lost in the world

Lost in the world Long timer

Oddometer:
    That was exactly my experience going into Moab. Not confidence inspiring in the slightest. Tourance's will replace when the time comes. I would gladly sacrifice a couple of thousand miles of wear for the assurance of traction in all road conditions. Off road is not an issue for me, as my GSA is my road only bike. Thanks for the replies.
  16. vagueout

vagueout Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm very impressed with anakee 3's on my 1150. I keep the pressures to the high side, never had a slip even in the wet, excellent road tyre that is still quite ridable on unsealed roads. The rear tends not to square anything like a tourance. My only complaint with the A3 is it doesn't "feel" sticky to the road, almost like plastic but actually does stick very well in reality. My next tyres may be the pirelli scorpion trail 2, more out of curiosity than necessity, they would have to be very good to better the A3 imo.:*sip*
    deijmaser likes this.
  17. ObiJohn

ObiJohn Screaming Banshee Supporter

Oddometer:
    The A3s are good road tires, not as good as PR4s. They're okay on hard-packed roads... not so much on gravel. I would hate to hit mud on them.

I've learned that there is no such thing as a compromise tire. If you want off-road traction, then TKC80s or Wilds and deal with the short life on pavement. If you want wear and on-road performance, PR4s over the A3s. If you want good on-road performance and wear, and only ride hard-packed dirt, the A3s will suffice... but then again so would the PR4s.
  18. deijmaser

deijmaser Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks so much for the recommendation, that’s exactly what I did, RAIN mode felt perfect. Now with more than a 100 miles, I went off rain mode and everything is perfect. Great feeling. Thanks again for the help! Cheers.
  19. Touge

Touge Adventurer

Oddometer:
    A3s are a pretty long lasting 90/10 tire which can handle a wide range of temps. Grip is overall good but not great. The tire will slide when pushed hard in the twisties. Also not so great in the wet. Flat dirt/rock trails they do ok. My biggest gripe is the road noise but ear plugs tend to mask the majority of it..
    deijmaser likes this.
  20. exharleyman

exharleyman Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I run them on my 2015, great road and hard pack tire. For long highway trips with loads the rear tends to flatten out in the center. On those types of trips I run a PR4 trail.