Michelin Anakee III; anyone tried 'em?

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by Monsignore, Jan 18, 2014.

1. Motorius

Motorius Road trippin' Supporter

Oddometer:
    A3's on the GS, PR4's on the R-R.

A3's feel like they ride "on" the road, PR4's feel like they "hold" the road.

Don't ride off road at all.
  2. TBickell

TBickell And away we GO !!

Oddometer:
    Just picked up on this thread and sorry to hear so many bad reviews on the Anakee III. Michelin products are usually great. I'm bummed to hear they are not good on gravel because that is where they will be quite a bit here in Montana. I hate to waste a new set of tires. I'll probably get the Scouts next as I liked them on my 800GS a lot. I only have 700 miles on my new bike so I have no review to give other than I don't notice any extra noise.
  3. Motorius

Oddometer:
    I don't think they are "bad" tires by any means, just compared to the Pilot Road 4's IMO there really is not comparison. On a dry road they are fine (and remember I only road ride), on a wet road they are fine, but if I was choosing a new tire for the GS, the PR4 would win hands down.

Might want to read this thread as well:

http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/tire-reviews-from-a-2015-r1200gsa-rider-commuter.1200703/
  4. oldadvtraveler

oldadvtraveler Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    i have not tried the pr4 tires but, imho the anakeeIII tires just do not do the job as compared to my scorpion trail II tires. the anakee III tires make a lot of noise too. the scorpion do pretty well on gravel roads too abd on wet pavement they are like an octopus! I got 9,200 miles out of my last set. try them next time if you ride 80% road and 20% gravel.
  5. deijmaser

deijmaser Adventurer

Oddometer:
    No
    Funny, as this is my first 1200 / A3’s I did felt yesterday a “noise” coming from the tire... Thanks for the heads-up. Will continue running them and see what happens next summer....
  6. deijmaser

deijmaser Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Some more riding this week to break-in my new GS - now at around 500 miles and I tend to find the front tire somewhat noisy, unless it is something else...

Major thunderstorms yesterday night around Montreal, so had a chance to try out the 3's in solid water situation [highway, streets, B and C roads]

Very satisfied about the grip, but again, not sure it's the front tire but there's a close to annoying sound coming from the front [wind/tire noise]... Will investigate further.
  7. jet200

jet200 n00b

Oddometer:
    Just picked up a low-mileage 2007 R1200GS and put on a set of Anakee 3's. It had the original Anakee 2's from 2006, so it was time for new shoes.

My last GS had Metzler Tourance's and they were very noisy tires. So much so, that I decided to try the Anakee 3's I like them a lot. Granted I've only done a few hundred miles but I find the grip is fantastic. Even took them on a few hard packed dirt roads with some gravel and they felt confident and planted. I do notice some whirring around the 40-50mph from the front tire, but nothing worse than what my Tourances sounded like.
    madleemark and deijmaser like this.
  8. deijmaser

deijmaser Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That whirring sounds just like I'm feeling at exactly that kinda speed... humm...

Thanks.
  9. Overanalyze

Overanalyze because when given the option, I will overthink it

Oddometer:
    I have the Anakee 3's and loved them onroad. Offroad, not so much except for dry dirt roads with minimal gravel. The 3's are rellly 90/10 tires in MHO
    htbyron likes this.
  10. misanthropic

misanthropic Zero

Oddometer:
    So that’s what that sound is. Doesn’t bother me and if they wear as well as you all say I’m good.
  11. Lost in the world

Lost in the world Long timer

Oddometer:
    All I can say was I was going to sell my 17 gsa until I got rid of the 3's and put on PR4's. Totally different bike!
    Scott Parish and Motorius like this.
  12. Motorius

Oddometer:
    Feel ‘stickier’, don’t they? I like them much better. When the A3’s came off a few weeks ago they still had a lot of life besides the rear nail I picked up on my last ride to the dealer to change them.
  13. Lost in the world

Lost in the world Long timer

Oddometer:
    The A3's felt like riding on oiled ball bearings. Besides that I am sure they are fine.....
  14. misanthropic

misanthropic Zero

Oddometer:
    I’m lucky to have survived my last ride on them.
  15. ADVwxyz

ADVwxyz yep Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    My experience- the A3’s on the 2018 Rallye are bloody screaming banshees... especially in the rain. Can’t stand them.

1700 km and they are coming off for the PR4’s.
  16. Pch123

Pch123 Bar Crossings

Oddometer:
    Agree . They are noisy and great at anything. Passable at most things

Tell me ( genuine question presuming your Rally has the off road I proved suspension ) why are you putting road tyres on it?
  17. ADVwxyz

ADVwxyz yep Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Good question!:

This is my long distance tarmac touring bike for now until I get mom moved and I move cities at end of summer.

I have a dialed F800GSA (which in my biased opinion) is the best bike for real adventure travel.

I use that in Baja and on the trails up here. It is light enough to pick up, it is weight biased enough in the rear with fuel and gear on the back to lighten the front wheel in sand.

As I use the 1200 for between Victoria and Vancouver, and city convenience for traffic and for parking, I did not need the 1200GSA either for that 80% of the 1200 riding (for now).

Once I get my life sorted more, I am taking the 800 RTW.

C373AAAE-DB66-42A9-97E9-E95123C73C0F.jpeg

2C381510-47BF-4606-860D-6C8D470632CC.jpeg

041C733A-B192-4FA3-BA73-2A07717BDDB6.jpeg
    Overanalyze and Kidder like this.
  18. path_finder

path_finder Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I can't speak for off pavement but my experience with the Scorpion Trail IIs is similar to oldadvtraveler. The Scorpions are fantastic on pavement. My experience with the Anakee IIs was that they weart well but weren't very confidence inspiring compared to the Scorpions.
  19. ObiJohn

ObiJohn Screaming Banshee Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have 5K miles on the original factory set of A3s on my '17 GSA road (cast) wheels. they grip well on the road but are noisy/hum at freeway speeds and feel like they wander a little bit on tar strips on hot days. I have limited experience offroad, but they were not at all confidence inspiring on gravel roads, even reasonably well-groomed forest roads... they danced around considerably and I was very nervous with their felt lack of traction especially on the front. Glad I have a set of Anakee Wilds on my spoked wheels. When I replace the A3s it will be with something else... debating between a set of PR4s or the Avon Trekriders. Probably go with the PR4s as they are superb on my FJR for long road trips.
    htbyron likes this.
  20. Scott Parish

Scott Parish Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I replaced the A3's on my new 16 GSA after 4K miles (just wanted new tires for a 10K trip) for PR4 Trails which provide superior feedback and handling on the road. However, going along a hard pack dirt road suddenly turning to sand had me wishing for outriggers on both sides. The tread pattern is clearly for road - not sure why the Trail designation in the name?